Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Kitchen Sink Traps

On 26 Jan 2020 at 12:59:21 GMT, "Tricky Dicky" wrote:

I am getting to the point where I need to consider the plumbing of our sink
unit which will have a washing machine on one side and a dishwasher on the
other. I am considering one of these for the two waste hoses

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-1-bowl-sink-kit-trap-white-40mm/6295p

Any gotchas such as siphoning or other issues using this type of fitting?
Currently the dishwasher feeds into something like with no particular
issues..
The washing machine feeds into a stand pipe type but because of the shape
at
the back it prevents it pushing all the way back and it is going to be
awkward
to place a similar type in the neighbouring cupboard.

Richard

I've exactly the same arrangement. Generally works fine, except for the
washing machine waste, which is fed from a pump in the cellar - with some
force. This then pushes some of the water up into the sink. Never enough to be
a flooding type problem, but smelly if it hasn't been used in a while, which
I don't much like the thought of.

I tend to put the sink plugs in when using the washing machine, but given the
pressure from the pump I reckon it's just a matter of time before something
gives. So one of my jobs-to-do is a separate waste for the washing machine.

Cheers, Rob