Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Shower detailing - help please

I have put up some cement board for a new shower. Some photos he
https://ibb.co/album/k68k5a

The cement board is pretty straight and vertical. The rest of the
bathroom is not!

I am wondering how best to finish off the end of the cement board, next
to the door architrave? I could just squirt some expanding foam into the
gap, but that still leaves the edge of the cement board exposed.

One possibility is to rout a big groove in a length of timber and slot
that over the end. I was thinking of tiling it first, then the wood can
go over the edge of the whole lot.

Any suggestions most welcome, please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 21:05, GB wrote:
I have put up some cement board for a new shower. Some photos he
https://ibb.co/album/k68k5a

The cement board is pretty straight and vertical. The rest of the
bathroom is not!

I am wondering how best to finish off the end of the cement board, next
to the door architrave? I could just squirt some expanding foam into the
gap, but that still leaves the edge of the cement board exposed.

One possibility is to rout a big groove in a length of timber and slot
that over the end. I was thinking of tiling it first, then the wood can
go over the edge of the whole lot.

Any suggestions most welcome, please.

??? tile the edge to the architrave, then tile the panels ???

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 21:05, GB wrote:
I have put up some cement board for a new shower. Some photos he
https://ibb.co/album/k68k5a

The cement board is pretty straight and vertical. The rest of the
bathroom is not!

I am wondering how best to finish off the end of the cement board, next
to the door architrave? I could just squirt some expanding foam into the
gap, but that still leaves the edge of the cement board exposed.

One possibility is to rout a big groove in a length of timber and slot
that over the end. I was thinking of tiling it first, then the wood can
go over the edge of the whole lot.

That'd probably be a good solution.

Any suggestions most welcome, please.

Fill it and tile around the corner?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/01/2020 00:01, Steve Walker wrote:
On 14/01/2020 21:05, GB wrote:
I have put up some cement board for a new shower. Some photos he
https://ibb.co/album/k68k5a

The cement board is pretty straight and vertical. The rest of the
bathroom is not!

I am wondering how best to finish off the end of the cement board,
next to the door architrave? I could just squirt some expanding foam
into the gap, but that still leaves the edge of the cement board exposed.

One possibility is to rout a big groove in a length of timber and slot
that over the end. I was thinking of tiling it first, then the wood
can go over the edge of the whole lot.

That'd probably be a good solution.

Any suggestions most welcome, please.

Fill it and tile around the corner?

I think that would be difficult. It's a small fiddly area to tile. I
could see them getting damaged easily.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Steve Walker, ariachris56 wrote:
Still help needed?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1402929-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 21:05, GB wrote:
I have put up some cement board for a new shower. Some photos he
https://ibb.co/album/k68k5a

The cement board is pretty straight and vertical. The rest of the
bathroom is not!

I am wondering how best to finish off the end of the cement board,
next to the door architrave? I could just squirt some expanding foam
into the gap, but that still leaves the edge of the cement board
exposed.

One possibility is to rout a big groove in a length of timber and
slot that over the end. I was thinking of tiling it first, then the
wood can go over the edge of the whole lot.

That'd probably be a good solution.

Any suggestions most welcome, please.

Fill it and tile around the corner?

I think that would be difficult. It's a small fiddly area to tile. I
could see them getting damaged easily.

Then use care body filler instead of tile cement and buy a tile saw.
Honestly!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 21:05, GB wrote:
I have put up some cement board for a new shower. Some photos he
https://ibb.co/album/k68k5a

The cement board is pretty straight and vertical. The rest of the
bathroom is not!

I am wondering how best to finish off the end of the cement board, next
to the door architrave? I could just squirt some expanding foam into the
gap, but that still leaves the edge of the cement board exposed.

One possibility is to rout a big groove in a length of timber and slot
that over the end. I was thinking of tiling it first, then the wood can
go over the edge of the whole lot.

Any suggestions most welcome, please.

Is that gap narrow at the bottom and wide at the top or is it it just
the distortion from the position of the camera when taking the photo.

If the (narrow) gap does get significantly bigger it may be difficult to
disguise that the (old) wall is out of true with respect to the (new)
tiling surface.

I would
i) fill the gap with foam to support the edge of the cement board.
ii) tile
iii) remove the existing architrave at the side of the door and replace
it with a much wider single piece of wood.

being a shower what are going to use to stop water splashing out at that
corner? Consider bringing the tiling around that corner on the inside by
one tile (assuming smaller tiles). this means you can build a 6inch wide
timber wall out from the door architrave hiding the gap and better
disguising the out of true exiting wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about removing the architrave and cut a cement board thickness off the back edge. Screw a narrow strip of cement board having scribed it to the wall then refit the architrave with cement board attached then seal the corner similarly to the seams.

Richard