Karl Townsend

Default auto detailing 101

The family car just took a 2000 mile ride on an auto transport. When I
picked it up, I noticed something had splattered all over the auto and ran
down before drying. I have no clue as to what. Looks maybe like tar that
dried. Just maybe, the car was on the lower deck and the one above was
leaking something.

Anyway, today I fired up the 4000 psi 4 gpm 200 degree pressure washer.
(This is just like a hand car wash wand on steroids) After 1/2 hour of
washing, I can see this ain't going to get it.

What should I try from here? Don't want to remove the finish but need some
serious stain removal power.

Karl

Try bug/tar remover. Maybe try rubbing alchol in a small spot to see
how it does.

Check with a auto parts store for bug/tar remover. I think the stuff
is basically diluted diesel fuel, but it works. When the county
resurfaced my road a few years ago, my wife nearly had her car painted
with the stuff. We bought a bottle of this stuff and with a little
elbow grease removed nearly all of it. It did not affect the finish at
all. It probably helps that we keep a pretty good coat of wax on our
cars. I can't remember the exact brand off hand, but I doubt it
matters too much.

JW

Leon Heller

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message nk.net...
The family car just took a 2000 mile ride on an auto transport. When I
picked it up, I noticed something had splattered all over the auto and ran
down before drying. I have no clue as to what. Looks maybe like tar that
dried. Just maybe, the car was on the lower deck and the one above was
leaking something.

Anyway, today I fired up the 4000 psi 4 gpm 200 degree pressure washer.
(This is just like a hand car wash wand on steroids) After 1/2 hour of
washing, I can see this ain't going to get it.

What should I try from here? Don't want to remove the finish but need some
serious stain removal power.

Eucalyptus oil has always been the best stuff for removing tar from car
paintwork. I tried it many years ago and it worked very well, the tar comes
off easily and it doesn't affect the paint.

Leon

Pete Snell

If it is Tar or some other petroleum product, the bug and tar remover
will work well. So will WD40, or even plain old butter.

--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

Joe AutoDrill

I did auto detailing as my main line of business for years...

Gasoline. Cheap stuff, not premium. grin Do not let it sit on the paint
more than about 30 seconds at a time. Wet the cloth you will use (see
below) thoroughly and use that to remove it with light rubbing... Start out
very easy.

Bug and tar remover will work too, as may some soda products... But nothing
works as well as gas. I've used it on Porches, Mercedes, BMWs and Ferrari
vehicles. Not to mention a few cheap Nissans.

Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you wax the car afterwards and use only a
soft, cotton towel like a face cloth. Remove all tags from the cloth first.

wax!
wax!!
wax!!!

If you don't wax it afterwards, the paint will be as exposed to anything
that goes near it.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message nk.net...
The family car just took a 2000 mile ride on an auto transport. When I
picked it up, I noticed something had splattered all over the auto and ran
down before drying. I have no clue as to what. Looks maybe like tar that
dried. Just maybe, the car was on the lower deck and the one above was
leaking something.

Anyway, today I fired up the 4000 psi 4 gpm 200 degree pressure washer.
(This is just like a hand car wash wand on steroids) After 1/2 hour of
washing, I can see this ain't going to get it.

What should I try from here? Don't want to remove the finish but need some
serious stain removal power.

Karl

Don Foreman

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:02:11 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT to reply wrote:

The family car just took a 2000 mile ride on an auto transport. When I
picked it up, I noticed something had splattered all over the auto and ran
down before drying. I have no clue as to what. Looks maybe like tar that
dried. Just maybe, the car was on the lower deck and the one above was
leaking something.

Anyway, today I fired up the 4000 psi 4 gpm 200 degree pressure washer.
(This is just like a hand car wash wand on steroids) After 1/2 hour of
washing, I can see this ain't going to get it.

What should I try from here? Don't want to remove the finish but need some
serious stain removal power.

Ditzler PPG DX-330 "Acryliclean" will remove almost anything like
that, and it's safe for use on car paint. That's exactly what it is
made for. Find it at an auto paint supply place, as Lowells' in Mnpls
(several stores) or whatever supplier you have that's closer.