Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default number plates

was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post code
or who made them to be on plates ????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 21:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post code
or who made them to be on plates ????

Does it matter when the plates are present on the vehicle being tested,
along with the correct VIN? The reason for details of the plate supplier
is surely to prevent rogue suppliers providing them without checking and
so aiding the use of false plates by people who are driving without
insurance, tax, etc. or driving stolen vehicles. They are unlikely to
put such a vehicle through an MOT. Plates from before those requirements
could even be on new vehicles after a cherished number transfer anyway -
you might just transfer the plates rather than get new ones once the
transfer has been authorised.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 21:16:19, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post code
or who made them to be on plates ????

When I looked at this a while ago, you can make your own plates so no
need to identify the supplier. Even a company making plates for its own
cars does not need to be registered as a 'supplier'.

The key words are 'supply' and in general terms you can't supply yourself.

You can have them made outside of England and Wales and so not subject
to the silly rules we have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 22:03, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/01/2020 21:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post
code or who made them to be on plates ????

Does it matter when the plates are present on the vehicle being tested,
along with the correct VIN? The reason for details of the plate supplier
is surely to prevent rogue suppliers providing them without checking and
so aiding the use of false plates by people who are driving without
insurance, tax, etc. or driving stolen vehicles. They are unlikely to
put such a vehicle through an MOT. Plates from before those requirements
could even be on new vehicles after a cherished number transfer anyway -
you might just transfer the plates rather than get new ones once the
transfer has been authorised.

SteveW

makes sense I got mail order show plates made up without the post code
and supplier when I transferred a number and was a bit worried about
mot time when it comes...should be OK then.....the normal plates that I
got made up locally for the car that was reverting back to its original
number has the supplier and post code but they are engraved into the
plastic and you can't see them unless you look very closely .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
You can have them made outside of England and Wales and so not subject
to the silly rules we have.

interesting thanks

You can of course also get a plastic notice with XX49 ABCD on it to
mark an outbuilding (or whatever). The UK legislation is very silly
really, they can't prevent anyone making a piece of plastic with
numbers and letters on surely.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AS long as they comply why would it matter who made them?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post code or
who made them to be on plates ????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
You can have them made outside of England and Wales and so not subject
to the silly rules we have.

interesting thanks

You can of course also get a plastic notice with XX49 ABCD on it to
mark an outbuilding (or whatever). The UK legislation is very silly
really, they can't prevent anyone making a piece of plastic with
numbers and letters on surely.

years ago we had one made for our Village playground saying "NO DOGS". I
wonder if we could do that nowadays?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post code
or who made them to be on plates ????

I find that I am disproportionately annoyed by plates with
strange fonts or illegally spaced . Does the MOT check
compliance, or do transgressors simply keep a spare pair?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 January 2020 11:02:09 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post code
or who made them to be on plates ????

I find that I am disproportionately annoyed by plates with
strange fonts or illegally spaced . Does the MOT check
compliance, or do transgressors simply keep a spare pair?

I agree with you - totally disproportionate. But annoyed I become.

I suspect a spare pair. But the risk of being caught while driving must be very low as so many people seem to use them. I'd like to think that anyone stopped for any reason by police would get appropriately hit if they have such number plates. After all, it is a deliberate "stuff you" to the law. (Mind, I'd be a bit more forgiving for people who did not make a decision to transgress - such as stone-chipped during a journey.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
You can have them made outside of England and Wales and so not
subject to the silly rules we have.

interesting thanks

You can of course also get a plastic notice with XX49 ABCD on it to
mark an outbuilding (or whatever). The UK legislation is very silly
really, they can't prevent anyone making a piece of plastic with
numbers and letters on surely.

The idea is to make it more difficult to get them made up while you wait.
For obvious reasons. 'Show' plates or other mail order ones are more
likely to allow the buyer to be traced.

I wanted some new ones for the old Rover - but didn't want them saying
Halfords or whatever. So got some made up using the name of the garage who
supplied the car new - but no longer exists.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post
code or who made them to be on plates ????

I find that I am disproportionately annoyed by plates with strange
fonts or illegally spaced . Does the MOT check compliance, or do
transgressors simply keep a spare pair?

I agree with you - totally disproportionate. But annoyed I become.

I suspect a spare pair. But the risk of being caught while driving must
be very low as so many people seem to use them. I'd like to think that
anyone stopped for any reason by police would get appropriately hit if
they have such number plates. After all, it is a deliberate "stuff you"
to the law. (Mind, I'd be a bit more forgiving for people who did not
make a decision to transgress - such as stone-chipped during a journey.)

I think as long as they are legible, there's a certain weary acceptance
on the part of the police.

That said, you'd have thought an automated summons from an ANPR camera
for non-regulation plates would be possible ?

Assuming defeating anpr wasn't the reason the owner obfuscated
their plates in the first place shurely?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk Wrote in message:

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

ANPR is incredibly robust, and AIUI the number of cases where a read
completely fails is low enough for a manual intervention.

If these characters are fitting their "look at me" plates in a bid to
defeat ANPR - certainly those used in law enforcement - they really are
as dim as you'd imagine.

So what's the beef with the law re number plate typefaces?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

I wonder if ANPR can cope with odd type OR dirt - but not AND?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

was just reading the requirement for MOT test...no mention of post code
or who made them to be on plates ????

I find that I am disproportionately annoyed by plates with
strange fonts or illegally spaced . Does the MOT check
compliance, or do transgressors simply keep a spare pair?

Chris

I agree about strange fonts, but have no problem with changed spacing.
If anything, it often makes it read in a way that is far more memorable
and so much easier to report in the event of a hit and run, dangerous
driving, etc.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

Some fonts really are harder to read, both for ANPR and humans
(particularly at a glance as someone speeds off). Standardising the font
made sense - although, IIRC, it only applies to cars registered after
the standard font came in, so older vehicles can still have weird fonts.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

There's always a manual fallback for traffic offence cameras.

But probably not for council run car parks and the like that read your
plate going in and out and check you have not overstayed or that you
have paid from them.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 13/01/2020 12:04, Jethro_uk wrote:
That said, you'd have thought an automated summons from an ANPR camera
for non-regulation plates would be possible ?

If APNR can read them then they can't, in practical terms, be far
out-of-spec. If APNR can't then there won't be the means for an
automated summons.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

[...]

Non-UK plates, which might be entirely to the country of origin's rules, could prove taxing to any ANPR system.

For a while, I had a vehicle in the UK with an Arabic plate...