Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small, surface mount, LED panels - do they exist?

I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel
to provide some light in the corner of a room. It will be mounted on
a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really).

I want something of the order of 500 lumens, less than 1000 anyway.
All the surface mount panels I can see (from Screwfix, Toolstation
etc.) are much larger and brighter.

Does anyone make small ones or will I have to go recessed (which I'd
rather not as it's more difficult to undo if we don't like it).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am 06.01.2020 um 12:31 schrieb Chris Green:
I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel
to provide some light in the corner of a room. It will be mounted on
a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really).

I want something of the order of 500 lumens, less than 1000 anyway.
All the surface mount panels I can see (from Screwfix, Toolstation
etc.) are much larger and brighter.

Osram/ledvance Lunive Quadro 8W 400lumen 110x110mm ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 January 2020 11:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel
to provide some light in the corner of a room. It will be mounted on
a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really).

12 watts, 880 lumen, or 6 watts, 480 lumen, 40 mm deep

https://www.ledkia.com/uk/buy-plafon...ace-panel.html

https://www.ledkia.com/uk/buy-plafon...ace-panel.html

also available in a round module with a surface kit

https://www.ledkia.com/uk/buy-plafon...ed-module.html

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 January 2020 11:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel
to provide some light in the corner of a room. It will be mounted on
a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really).

I want something of the order of 500 lumens, less than 1000 anyway.
All the surface mount panels I can see (from Screwfix, Toolstation
etc.) are much larger and brighter.

Does anyone make small ones or will I have to go recessed (which I'd
rather not as it's more difficult to undo if we don't like it).

You can alwaqys run a higher power one in series with a suitable capacitor

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 January 2020 11:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel
to provide some light in the corner of a room. It will be mounted on
a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really).

I want something of the order of 500 lumens, less than 1000 anyway.
All the surface mount panels I can see (from Screwfix, Toolstation
etc.) are much larger and brighter.

Does anyone make small ones or will I have to go recessed (which I'd
rather not as it's more difficult to undo if we don't like it).

Not sure how small you need the light to be. How about under (kitchen) cabinet lighting? This one from Ikea https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stroeml...hite-90333995/ is 20x7cm and 6mm thick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2020 11:31, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel
to provide some light in the corner of a room. It will be mounted on
a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really).

I want something of the order of 500 lumens, less than 1000 anyway.
All the surface mount panels I can see (from Screwfix, Toolstation
etc.) are much larger and brighter.

Does anyone make small ones or will I have to go recessed (which I'd
rather not as it's more difficult to undo if we don't like it).

Recycle an old laptop/TV lcd screen removing the LCD, reassemble with
the diffuser and possibly change the backlight. The diffuser is the
magic bit.

DIY Perks - Turning Smashed TVs into Realistic Artificial Daylight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JrqH2oOTK4

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin H wrote:
On Monday, 6 January 2020 11:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel
to provide some light in the corner of a room. It will be mounted on
a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really).

I want something of the order of 500 lumens, less than 1000 anyway.
All the surface mount panels I can see (from Screwfix, Toolstation
etc.) are much larger and brighter.

Does anyone make small ones or will I have to go recessed (which I'd
rather not as it's more difficult to undo if we don't like it).

Not sure how small you need the light to be. How about under (kitchen)
cabinet lighting? This one from Ikea https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stroeml...hite-90333995/
is 20x7cm and 6mm thick.

Yes! That's just the sort of thing, thank you. It wouldn't show up
as a panel of course which is why I haven't found anything like that.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2020 08:29, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 06/01/2020 11:31, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel
to provide some light in the corner of a room.Â* It will be mounted on
a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really).

I want something of the order of 500 lumens, less than 1000 anyway.
All the surface mount panels I can see (from Screwfix, Toolstation
etc.) are much larger and brighter.

Does anyone make small ones or will I have to go recessed (which I'd
rather not as it's more difficult to undo if we don't like it).

Recycle an old laptop/TV lcd screen removing the LCD, reassemble with
the diffuser and possibly change the backlight. The diffuser is the
magic bit.

Â*DIY Perks - Turning Smashed TVs into Realistic Artificial Daylight
Â*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JrqH2oOTK4

Trouble is, what usually goes on TV screens and monitors is the backlight.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 09:18:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Kevin H wrote:
[...]

I have these in the kitchen and I'm very pleased with them. Reasonably warm colour as well (i.e. not the cold hard white you can sometimes get with LEDs). Dimmable as well remotely with the right power adapter.