Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows 10 question (login)

Happy New Year

I'm asking the question here as I am fearful to ask in the W10 group
as I may not understand the answer :-)

I was persuaded by Microsoft to change to a PIN rather than a password
to log in (supposedly more secure). In my User account I still have
the option of PIN or password, which seems to me a less secure
position. How do I remove the password and make login by PIN only?
Does this require administrator rights?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 11:14, Scott wrote:
Happy New Year

I'm asking the question here as I am fearful to ask in the W10 group
as I may not understand the answer :-)

I was persuaded by Microsoft to change to a PIN rather than a password
to log in (supposedly more secure). In my User account I still have
the option of PIN or password, which seems to me a less secure
position. How do I remove the password and make login by PIN only?
Does this require administrator rights?

I use www.tenforums.com for such questions. If you don't understand the
answer you could always post it hear. If you don't have adminstrator
rights it would make me think that you might be using a work PC.

I have never used a Pin to log in to W10.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't follow the logic that a pin is more secure than a password. If each character of a pin has ten options and each character of a password has 26 or more, unless you are particularly foolish in selecting a password how do you arrive at your conclusion?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 06:18:51 -0800 (PST), Cynic
wrote:

I don't follow the logic that a pin is more secure than a password. If each character of a pin has ten options and each character of a password has 26 or more, unless you are particularly foolish in selecting a password how do you arrive at your conclusion?

1. It's Microsoft's logic not mine. They say the 'PIN' is unique to
the individual computer while the Password is stored online. The show
the PIN method as 'recommended'.

2. Despite being called a PIN, if you tick a box you can use letters
as well as numbers.

3. My concern is that having set up a PIN (as recommended by
Microsoft) the former password still works, meaning there are two
opportunities to gain access not just the one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 14:09:22 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 01/01/2020 11:14, Scott wrote:
Happy New Year

I'm asking the question here as I am fearful to ask in the W10 group
as I may not understand the answer :-)

I was persuaded by Microsoft to change to a PIN rather than a password
to log in (supposedly more secure). In my User account I still have
the option of PIN or password, which seems to me a less secure
position. How do I remove the password and make login by PIN only?
Does this require administrator rights?

I use www.tenforums.com for such questions. If you don't understand the
answer you could always post it hear.

Will try there.

If you don't have adminstrator
rights it would make me think that you might be using a work PC.

No. I have five accounts on my home PC. One is administrator. I
also have user accounts for myself and others. I understood it was
bad practice to run as an administrator all the time.

I have never used a Pin to log in to W10.

Me neither until yesterday when I discovered this is recommended by
Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-than-password

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I don't follow the logic that a pin is more secure than a password. If each character of a pin has ten options and each character of a password has 26 or more, unless you are particularly foolish in selecting a password how do you arrive at your conclusion?

1. It's Microsoft's logic not mine. They say the 'PIN' is unique to
the individual computer while the Password is stored online. The show
the PIN method as 'recommended'.

2. Despite being called a PIN, if you tick a box you can use letters
as well as numbers.

3. My concern is that having set up a PIN (as recommended by
Microsoft) the former password still works, meaning there are two
opportunities to gain access not just the one.

However, you can more reasonably use a fiendishly long and complex password that you'd want to use as your daily login password. And use the PIN for everyday access on that one machine.

Might not be a good idea, but you also have the choice of using the same PIN for your Windows 10 PC and your Apple IOS or Android phone - despite the accounts having no relation to each other. Some might think it would make life easier but would be still secured with a copmplex password - which could (and should) be different for each account.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

As far as I can see PIN is a misnomer. It looks as though the PIN can
be as complex as a password. The difference seems to be local or
central storage.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-than-password
I certainly don't want the old password to co-exist with the new PIN
as this defeats the object.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic wrote:

I don't follow the logic that a pin is more secure than a password. If

each character of a pin has ten options and each character of a password
has 26 or more, unless you are particularly foolish in selecting a
password how do you arrive at your conclusion?

What Microsoft is doing here, and I make no comment on whether it makes
sense, is to use a login with Microsoft for which the user ID may be an
email address and the password not particularly secure, saving these
login details, presumably encrypted, on the PC, and using a PIN to
access these credentials. These credentials are used to log in to the
system. Presumably when Internet access is available the Microsoft
credentials are checked (and the user's activity logged to a greater or
lesser extent!) with Microsoft's server. I also assume that the PIN
alone is effectively sufficient when Internet access is absent,
otherwise the computer would be unusable without an Internet connection.
Most advantages of this system would seem to accrue to Microsoft rather
than the user, but perhaps it occasionally insists on direct entry of
the Microsoft password??

To answer the OP's question (now I come to think of it) Microsft only
allows this form of login to an administrative user. Even if the
person concerned has administrative access via another user, they are
not allowed to use the PIN method to log in to an ordinary user account.
So the OP will be unable to do so.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's confusing to continue to call it a PIN if it doesn't have to be a
number. Why not "local password" or similar?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

There was a guy who used the same number for his gym locker as the PIN
of his bank card - which he kept in his locker. Someone saw him enter
the number, unlocked his locker, and stole and used his card. The
Guardian article that described this failed to observe how stupid this was.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The modern reality is that it works much better to use
touch id or facial recognition on the iOS devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Most of that that only really holds if you are talking about MS accounts
rather than local only PC accounts. It also assumes your machine has a
TPM module - which is quite likely for a laptop, but not that common on
desktop machines as yet.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 07:12:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The modern reality is that it works much better to use
touch id or facial recognition on the iOS devices.

YOUR only reality is that you got NOBODY, absolutely NOBODY to talk to in
real life! Which is the very reason why you pester people on Usenet where
they can't as easily get away from you as in real life!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 11:14, Scott wrote:
Happy New Year

I'm asking the question here as I am fearful to ask in the W10 group
as I may not understand the answer :-)

I was persuaded by Microsoft to change to a PIN rather than a password
to log in (supposedly more secure). In my User account I still have
the option of PIN or password, which seems to me a less secure
position. How do I remove the password and make login by PIN only?
Does this require administrator rights?

I don't believe that you can. If you do something in Windows that needs
the password it will prompt...

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 11:14, Scott wrote:

I was persuaded by Microsoft to change to a PIN rather than a password
to log in (supposedly more secure).

Was this a cold call from someone in Microsofts' Indian call centre?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 08:36:25 +0000, David Wade
wrote:

On 01/01/2020 11:14, Scott wrote:
Happy New Year

I'm asking the question here as I am fearful to ask in the W10 group
as I may not understand the answer :-)

I was persuaded by Microsoft to change to a PIN rather than a password
to log in (supposedly more secure). In my User account I still have
the option of PIN or password, which seems to me a less secure
position. How do I remove the password and make login by PIN only?
Does this require administrator rights?

I don't believe that you can. If you do something in Windows that needs
the password it will prompt...

Thanks all. It sounds to me that the PIN idea is c**p and I should
disable PIN and set up a reasonable password for each account.

MiniInTheBox failed login Jim Hawkins[_2_] UK diy 3 January 29th 14 06:34 PM
wiki login p cooper[_2_] UK diy 5 May 24th 09 09:25 PM
Where is the Pioneer ASC login page? Ohmster[_2_] Electronics Repair 7 December 29th 07 01:45 PM
:( Lost the WOW Web Address and my login... Can anyone help? Joe Comunale Woodturning 3 February 7th 04 01:24 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM