Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car people only please...

Five years ago I got a PO130 code when the car was running rough so I
replaced the bank 1 sensor 1.....yesterday I got the engine management
light and got a PO135 code for the sensor ... so the heater in the
sensor has gone....car is running fine I assume this will be an MOT
failure even though the car is running fine.....why the hell do they fit
heaters to these sensors just to gain some minor emissions crap until
the engine has heated up ?...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2019 08:56, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Five years ago I got a PO130 code when the car was running rough so I
replaced the bank 1 sensor 1.....yesterday I got the engine management
light and got a PO135Â* code for the sensor ... so the heater in the
sensor has gone....car is running fine I assume this will be an MOT
failure even though the car is running fine.....why the hell do they fit
heaters to these sensors just to gain some minor emissions crap until
the engine has heated up ?...

update... cancelled the fault code and the engine management light
hasn't come back on...fingers crossed it stays off.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2019 11:27, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 31/12/2019 08:56, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Five years ago I got a PO130 code when the car was running rough so I
replaced the bank 1 sensor 1.....yesterday I got the engine management
light and got a PO135 code for the sensor ... so the heater in the
sensor has gone....car is running fine I assume this will be an MOT
failure even though the car is running fine.....why the hell do they
fit heaters to these sensors just to gain some minor emissions crap
until the engine has heated up ?...

update... cancelled the fault code and the engine management light
hasn't come back on...fingers crossed it stays off.....

It's not unusual to get erroneous error codes which don't come back once
cleared. I had quite a few on my previous car - Volvo V70 - some of
which looked serious, but never were.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2019 11:46, Roger Mills wrote:
On 31/12/2019 11:27, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 31/12/2019 08:56, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Five years ago I got a PO130 code when the car was running rough so I
replaced the bank 1 sensor 1.....yesterday I got the engine management
light and got a PO135Â* code for the sensor ... so the heater in the
sensor has gone....car is running fine I assume this will be an MOT
failure even though the car is running fine.....why the hell do they
fit heaters to these sensors just to gain some minor emissions crap
until the engine has heated up ?...

update... cancelled the fault code and the engine management light
hasn't come back on...fingers crossed it stays off.....

It's not unusual to get erroneous error codes which don't come back once
cleared. I had quite a few on my previous car - Volvo V70 - some of
which looked serious, but never were.

good to hear ...thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It can be a nuisance if the ECU switches to 'get you home' mode and the
car then does not run properly. Used to happen to my wife's Golf. By the
time you got to a VW garage the fault had cleared.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2019 11:55, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

I carry a OBD2 reader in each car ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes
[...]

Our diesel Fiesta is not that clever. However, engine torque is much
reduced while the filter is being cleaned. On long trips it would remain
in this mode unless the engine is switched off and back on!

With careful use of the clutch, this can be done on the move:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
It can be a nuisance if the ECU switches to 'get you home' mode and the
car then does not run properly. Used to happen to my wife's Golf. By the
time you got to a VW garage the fault had cleared.

Common one on my last car was the crank position sensor - a hall effect
type - having an intermittent fault. Likely something akin to a dry joint.
When that happened, the ECU got its tach signal from the cam sensor only
and went to limp home mode. Fixed timing for ignition and injection. But
would often clear itself after the engine cooled down. Luckily, the fault
code was stored. That car had 3 CPS in the 15 or so years I owned it.

--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 08:56:57 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Five years ago I got a PO130 code when the car was running rough so I
replaced the bank 1 sensor 1.....yesterday I got the engine management
light and got a PO135 code for the sensor ... so the heater in the
sensor has gone....car is running fine I assume this will be an MOT
failure even though the car is running fine.....why the hell do they fit
heaters to these sensors just to gain some minor emissions crap until
the engine has heated up ?...

I've had a warning about my AdBlue heater for two years now. I believe the heater is broken, but since the freezing temp of AdBlue is -11C, I can live with that. My garage reset the code every time when they do an MoT.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

would often clear itself after the engine cooled down. Luckily, the fault
code was stored.

that is exactly what happened with the crankshaft sensor on my merc C180T

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2019 11:46, Roger Mills wrote:

It's not unusual to get erroneous error codes which don't come back once
cleared. I had quite a few on my previous car - Volvo V70 - some of
which looked serious, but never were.

When I had a coil pack fail on a car I had fault codes completely
unrelated to my car (diesel related faults on a petrol car).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2020 09:44, alan_m wrote:
On 31/12/2019 11:46, Roger Mills wrote:

It's not unusual to get erroneous error codes which don't come back
once cleared. I had quite a few on my previous car - Volvo V70 - some
of which looked serious, but never were.

When I had a coil pack fail on a car I had fault codes completely
unrelated to my car (diesel related faults on a petrol car).

never had that they have always been spot on........three machines
always agreeing....