Posted to rec.woodworking

Default unisaw: only for guys who bought a BRAND NEW one! (1st owners only,please)

this post is directed ONLY to unisaw owners who bought their saws BRAND
NEW, *not* 'used' (like I did). *or* for folks who actually WORKED on
delta's assembly line BUILDING the unisaws.

folks who bought their saws used wouldn't have any REASON to know the
-answers- to these questions...

1. was -your- new unisaw fully assembled when you got it on 'day one'?

2. or was it 'mostly assembled, but not entirely'?

3. if it wasn't FULLY assembled, did your saw come with a bag (or
multiple bags, and/or small boxes) of fasteners, and other assorted
small parts?

4. if the answer to 4 (above) is affirmative, did you ever know what
each and EVERY small parts IN those bags and boxes WERE?

5. more specifically, when you bought your saw 'day one', was the cast
iron top already fastened to the gray pedestal?

6. anyone here know -with-certainty- if unisaws were offered for sale
new in both fully assembled -and- 'partially assembled' versions?

yeah, same reasons for asking, guys :-)

thanks :-)

toolie, still wanting to 'shim up' my knowledge-base :-)

the original thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...81 f88cd0759d
unisaw, (new style) right tilt: blade has NO lower OR upper elevation
stops? won't lower, binds at top... - rec.woodworking | Google Groups

offloading my (old, used) unisaw:
http://machines.2x.nu/unisaw_offloading/index.html

the unisaw 'blade elevation worm and shim mysteries' site:
http://machines.2x.nu/unisaw_worm_and_shims/index.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 20, 10:25*am, dave wrote:
this post is directed ONLY to unisaw owners who bought their saws BRAND
NEW, *not* 'used' (like I did). *or* for folks who actually WORKED on
delta's assembly line BUILDING the unisaws.

I bought mine in March of this year from Amazon.

folks who bought their saws used wouldn't have any REASON to know the
-answers- to these questions...

1. was -your- new unisaw fully assembled when you got it on 'day one'?

Except for the wings, table, and fence rails, yes.

2. or was it 'mostly assembled, but not entirely'?

Only the above.

3. if it wasn't FULLY assembled, did your saw come with a bag (or
multiple bags, and/or small boxes) of fasteners, and other assorted
small parts?

Bags of bolts to attach the fence and wings. Other than there were
minor things like the fence hangers and IIRC the dust port. Nothing
major.

4. if the answer to 4 (above) is affirmative, did you ever know what
each and EVERY small parts IN those bags and boxes WERE?

I don't recall any "spare parts" after I assembled it. There may have
been extra bolts or washers but certainly none that were different
than that already used (the table/fence didn't use all of the bolts
supplied, as I recall).

5. more specifically, when you bought your saw 'day one', was the cast
iron top already fastened to the gray pedestal?

Yep. I didn't even have to loosen it. The blade was aligned to the
slot (the fence had to be adjusted a little). The stops were all
correct, too. I was impressed with the quality of the saw, packaging,
delivery (well, the fence took the great circle route to get here),
and support.

6. anyone here know -with-certainty- if unisaws were offered for sale
new in both fully assembled -and- 'partially assembled' versions?

Nope. I can only speak for a sample of one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:25:12 -0400, dave
wrote:

[...]

I just took a look at mine. Its about 6 years old and came fully
assembled except for the particleboard work surface. (Hmmm, I guess
you'd technically call that partially assembled then) and there are no
shims under the cast iron table.

The worm gear looks identical to yours, set screw toward the rear.
However, mine appears to be positioned more forward on the shaft than
yours, about 5/8" from the front bearing of the crank sharft. Yours
seems to be much further back.

The saw came from Amazon.com. All I had to do was assemble the work
surface table & fence support and attach it to the saw. But the main
cast iron stuff was all assembled and shipped as one unit.

The upper and lower elevation stops are from the large bumps at the
ends of gear that engages the worm gear. It actually hits the worm
gear and stops at both ends of travel.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dave wrote:
the unisaw 'blade elevation worm and shim mysteries' site:
http://machines.2x.nu/unisaw_worm_and_shims/index.html

The answer to the question posed there of "were there shims...?" is
unequivocally "NO". If there were, they would be on the schematics.

Something is wrong in the assembly; as somebody else said, the large
cogs on the end of the gear are the stops; if it hits something else
before those it's out of adjustment or on wrong tooth.

Can't tell for sure, but first impression of the first picture still
makes me wonder if that is the OEM motor--doesn't look like I'd expect a
Unisaw OEM motor to look...

You've never answered the question of whether it is still 3PH or not...

Posted to rec.woodworking

thanks very much, keith -and- dicko :-)

dpb said:

The answer to the question posed there of "were there shims...?" is
unequivocally "NO".

and you know this "unequivocally" because? you bought a UNISAW *NEW*? or
just an opinionated WAG?

If there were, they would be on the schematics.

by 'schematics', guessing you mean the blowup/parts 'exploded view'
drawings. interestingly, there's no MOTOR in those drawings either, at
least not in the one's I downloaded and printed today from delta's site,
for my 34-807. so, where's THAT 'line of thought' leave us?

Something is wrong in the assembly; as somebody else said, the large
cogs on the end of the gear are the stops;

there's no debate on the "fixed elevation stops" part of the sector
gear; they're "a given"

if it hits something else
before those it's out of adjustment or on wrong tooth.

there's no 'hitting' involved (and no binding, and NO broken parts
inside my saw of any type. all that's been covered earlier). and no way
it can be 'on a wrong tooth' either, seeing as we're talking about a
single-start worm and sector (not spur gearing) relationship here.

Can't tell for sure, but first impression of the first picture still
makes me wonder if that is the OEM motor--doesn't look like I'd

expect a Unisaw OEM motor to look...

You've never answered the question of whether it is still 3PH or
not...

dpb, I never answered your question regarding the motor (or the
electrics on my saw) because
1. Leon already answered the question FOR you. see about 85% down this page:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...ms+top&lnk=nl&

and
2. because the answer to your question (was never hidden and) is clearly
posted in this picture anyway, and in the ones following it

http://machines.2x.nu/unisaw_offload...s/photo29.html

along with a great deal of other electrical info re my particular saw, and
3. what motor's fitted 'on' my unisaw by who/when/where OR why has
nothing to do with ANYthing regarding blade elevation (as long the
motor's not binding, or hitting anything, which it isn't, of course).

thanks dpb :-)

well, thanks again all. at this point, the "final answer" on the top
shims (as they say on that TV game show) is clear as mud. I'm not the
1st guy ever to have mentioned unisaw tops being shimmed upward: see
post #7 by a user named 'bnadsaw' on this page:

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...d.php?p=172188

at this point, I think "some unisaw tops were shimmed up originally, but
most weren't". to resolve it, though, I sent an inquiry this AM to delta
online support, with links to this -&- the previous thread, and both my
unisaw-related sites. hopefully, they'll reply with a definitive answer.
maybe it's something we're ALL overlooking...

thanks :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

No, I don't have a Unisaw but recall you looking for elevation stops on the
saw.
There is a reason that there are stops for the tilt, you want to easily find
45 and 90 degrees. There is really no reason for elevation stops and that
might be why they are considered to be "built-in". Built in probably means
that the worm gears reaches the end of travel on both ends of the rack.

Are you witnessing the worm gear reaching both extreme ends of the gear it
engages?

Looking also at the shaft on the right end of the worm gear there appears to
possibly be set screw scratch marks. Could the worm gear be too far forward
on the shaft? Or not forward enough?

Could there be a shipping bracket that may have swung in to a position
during transport with the saw laying on its side that may be blocking
travel?

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

this post is directed ONLY to unisaw owners who bought their saws BRAND
NEW, *not* 'used' (like I did). *or* for folks who actually WORKED on
delta's assembly line BUILDING the unisaws.

I do know the answer to some of your questions. Unfortunately, I don't fit
in the the qualified category of people so I feel so helpless now.

I unpacked and assembles a Unisaw, but I was not the owner.