Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using pipe freeze

I have used this in the past when moving radiators round but never on a pressurised system. I need to alter the pipe work for the new kickspace heater and just need the pipes blocked long enough to cut the existing pipes and fit a couple of full bore isolating valves. So any gotchas?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/12/2019 13:21, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have used this in the past when moving radiators round but never on a pressurised system. I need to alter the pipe work for the new kickspace heater and just need the pipes blocked long enough to cut the existing pipes and fit a couple of full bore isolating valves. So any gotchas?

Richard

I've used a freezing kit on a live mains water pipe. It worked
absolutely fine. Obviously, you need zero water flow.

Does the inhibitor in a central heating system reduce the freezing point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is no nonsense inhibitor now renamed Flomasta and as far as I can see does not lower the freezing point of the water.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have used this in the past when moving radiators round but never on a
pressurised system. I need to alter the pipe work for the new kickspace
heater and just need the pipes blocked long enough to cut the existing
pipes and fit a couple of full bore isolating valves. So any gotchas?

Richard

On a pressurised system Id just drop the pressure to zero and cut the
pipes. You shouldnt lose too much water whilst cutting and fitting the
valves. (Interestingly enough, I also fitted full bore taps to my kickspace
heater as the small ones were too restrictive. I also got rid of the
flexible connecting pipes by using large U shaped loops of plastic 15mm
pipe thats much less restrictive and still allows the heater to be pulled
out.)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2019 13:21, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have used this in the past when moving radiators round but never on a pressurised system. I need to alter the pipe work for the new kickspace heater and just need the pipes blocked long enough to cut the existing pipes and fit a couple of full bore isolating valves. So any gotchas?

Richard

I've used a mains-powered freezer successfully (just) but had a couple
of fails with pipe freeze. I wouldn't bother with freezers; release the
pressure and cut/isolate one pipe at a time. There won't be much water
loss but I would have a wet vac handy just in case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 December 2019 13:21:47 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have used this in the past when moving radiators round but never on a pressurised system. I need to alter the pipe work for the new kickspace heater and just need the pipes blocked long enough to cut the existing pipes and fit a couple of full bore isolating valves. So any gotchas?

Richard

of course, don't get it finished quick enough and oops. But I'm not seeing the point of freezing here, just do the job & repressurise.

NT