Old January 23rd 13, 10:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freeze proof faucets that freeze

They're called "FREEZE PROOF" faucets. Yet, I've never found one that
dont freeze. I've tried several brands, one was cheap, the another was
costly. They ALL freeze in cold weather.

Yes, I remove all hoses right after I use them.
Yes, it pitches downward on the outside.
Yes, the inside portion is in a heated building and the washer is well
inside.

What happens is that the stem, seems to freeze where it goes into the
packing behind the handle. Then the handle wont turn. A heat gun
normally solves it in a few minutes, but when it's way below zero
outdoors, the last thing I want to do is be f***ing around with that
faucet, and that's every other day when I fill livestock tanks.

When the weather is above 20F deg, but below freezing, it's usually ok.
Omce the temps get below 20F, it's almost guaranteed to be frozen. To
make matters worse, this one I have now, has a plastic handle and
plastic cap ion top as a vacuum breaker. That means I got to keep the
heat gun away from the plastic parts, which makes it harder to thaw.
(The rest of the faucet is brass).

Have any of you ever found one that dont freeze?

Yea, I know most of you never use these faucets in winter, but those of
us who run farms and have animals that need water are always struggling
with stuff like this, and it becomes real annoying when it becomes a
daily or every other day hassle.

I will mention that they dont freeze bad enough to where they would
crack, like a standard spigot, because they are not FILLED with water,
yet they are always frozen enough to make it impossible to turn the
handle. Actually I tried to force one of them, and broke the handle
off. So they are frozen tight!

Old January 23rd 13, 02:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:48:48 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote in
Re
Freeze proof faucets that freeze:

Whatever it is, it has to be fairly durable because snow likes to drift
there and sometimes burys the faucet, which means I got to shovel around
it, and thats not always a gentle procedure, not to mention snow and
icicles falling off the roof.

Outside Google Spigot Google Insulation Google

http://www.amazon.com/William-H-Harv...m/B000I1AZ9C/2

Those should work.
Old January 23rd 13, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/13 4:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

Maybe an "electric heat cable" like these ??

http://www.frostking.com/automatic-e...at-cable-kits/
Old January 23rd 13, 05:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:43:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
They're called "FREEZE PROOF" faucets. Yet, I've never found one that
dont freeze.

"Freeze proof" means that freezing won't destroy the faucet, not that it won't ever freeze up.

You put something wet in really cold temperatures, and it's going to freeze. That's physics.

The difference is that a "freeze proof" faucet doesn't put a pipe full of water out in the cold where it will freeze, expand, burst, and flood your basement.
Old January 24th 13, 12:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

If you have a daily need it may be worth your while to have a frost-proof
anti-siphon hydrant valve installed. Try googloing "frostproof hydrant"
for some examples. These valves have a rod or linkage above ground,
and the actual valve is below the frost line. The linkage operates the
valve and water comes out through the above ground standpipe portion.
When the valve is closed, the water in the upper part of the piping
automtically drains, so no ice can form.

Outside freeze-proof faucet Robert Swinney Metalworking 10 May 28th 06 06:29 PM
Freeze proof faucet needs repair Mel Home Repair 1 May 3rd 05 07:29 PM
freeze proof faucets Bonnie Home Repair 5 April 25th 05 01:53 AM
Freeze Less Faucets Patch Home Repair 8 March 26th 05 11:14 PM
Freeze proof barn tap CathyLee Home Repair 2 February 3rd 05 10:20 PM