Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Smoke alarm failures

45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 November 2019 09:15:59 UTC, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

Flat battery/fault in the device?- Plus some people/children can't hear them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 November 2019 09:15:59 UTC, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

flat battery?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

under a pile of stuff on the floor (with no battery)?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 09:15, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

They count as a failure to work any fire they attend where the alarm
didn't go off. So it includes where the fire was not close enough to
the alarm, including in an area not covered by the alarm. Easy enough
in terraces I think - eg fire in the kitchen at the back of a house
with only one alarm on the first floor landing at the front.

But I did once find the sole alarm in a bungalow on a shelf in the
airing cupboard - 'cos she "was worried about all those clothes over the
cylinder".

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote

45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery.
So why did the rest fail?

Presumably the alarm is too old.

Or the wrong technology.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

Presumably In a room with a closed door to where the fire started etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 06:01:47 +1100,cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Presumably the alarm is too old.

Or the wrong technology.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

Presumably In a room with a closed door to where the fire started etc.

Yeah, I'm surprised why he didn't ask YOU first, senile Rodent. Aren't you
surprised, too?

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/11/2019 10:50, Robin wrote:
On 30/11/2019 09:15, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

They count as a failure to work any fire they attend where the alarm
didn't go off.Â* So it includes where the fire was not close enough to
the alarm, including in an area not covered by the alarm.Â* Easy enough
in terraces I thinkÂ* - eg fire in the kitchen at the back of a house
with only one alarm on the first floor landing at the front.

But I did once find the sole alarm in a bungalow on a shelf in the
airing cupboard - 'cos she "was worried about all those clothes over the
cylinder".

Thanks for that. So basically a room with no smoke.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 09:15, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest
fail? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

They count as a failure to work any fire they attend where the alarm
didn't go off. So it includes where the fire was not close enough to
the alarm, including in an area not covered by the alarm. Easy enough
in terraces I think - eg fire in the kitchen at the back of a house
with only one alarm on the first floor landing at the front.

But I did once find the sole alarm in a bungalow on a shelf in the
airing cupboard - 'cos she "was worried about all those clothes over
the cylinder".

Thanks for that. So basically a room with no smoke.

In a past life and as a contractor I installed cheap smoke alarms in a lot
of warehouses nationwide. The batteries were very cheap. When I muttered
about this I was told to STFU. 12 months later I visited the sites for the
annual service. Every alarm was chirping due to flat batteries. Not one
manager picked up the phone to report this. It is a long drive to
Southampton and back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 09:15, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

If the doors are closed it may not go off until the fire reaches the
room that it is in. Another only recently discovered problem is that
young children can sleep through a standard smoke alarm noise!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38918056

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a strange sensitivity issue on mine. The placement is good when it
works it detects the faintest trace of burnt toast as its in the stairwell,
however although the test button says it is fine, I have noticed that some
days when a bit of crust does burn a bit more than intended, it does not
always go off, yet on other days, it goes off with the merest hint.
I have to conclude there may be a dry joint somewhere in the circuit and
pressing the button stresses the pcb enough to make a better connection.
Trouble is, its glued to the landing beside the stairs and has been painted
around, so I'd need to get a bigger one or make up some kind of panel to put
it on. I really don't want to have though paint the paint in the hall just
cos I changed the smoke alarm!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Since the fire service if they fit one stick it on a pole and use double
sided tape to stick it on the ceiling, perhaps after a while it falls off
and gets damaged? :-)
Brian

--
----- --

"harry" wrote in message
On Saturday, 30 November 2019 09:15:59 UTC, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

Flat battery/fault in the device?- Plus some people/children can't hear
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can have one in each room if you are paranoid of course.
Personally havving been present at some fires, it is a miracle if at least
one does not go off, as smoke does get everywhere pretty fast in my
experience
Brian

--
----- --

"Robin" wrote in message
On 30/11/2019 09:15, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

They count as a failure to work any fire they attend where the alarm
didn't go off. So it includes where the fire was not close enough to the
alarm, including in an area not covered by the alarm. Easy enough in
terraces I think - eg fire in the kitchen at the back of a house with
only one alarm on the first floor landing at the front.

But I did once find the sole alarm in a bungalow on a shelf in the airing
cupboard - 'cos she "was worried about all those clothes over the
cylinder".

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 11:06:42 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:

You can have one in each room if you are paranoid of course.

We have six (interlinked).

- Two in the living room, which is fairly isolated from the rest of
the house and has a deep beam down the middle.
- One in the kitchen (heat rise)
- One in the hallway
- Two on the landing (which is L shaped)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 09:15, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

Could it just be contamination of the sensor - being installed in a very
dusty or greasy atmosphere. I've seen ceiling mounted alarms that
almost have a fur covering where dust has stuck to a sticky geasy case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 December 2019 11:26:26 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
We have six (interlinked).

5. Vestibule (electricity intake etc), hall, Lounge, bedroom1, bedroom 2. Kitchen heat and CO detectors. All interlinked.

Should really have one in bedroom three to make the system compliange with Grade LDwhatever but I think it's unlikely anyone will be in bedroom 3 alone in the house.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 December 2019 14:10:53 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 1 December 2019 11:26:26 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
We have six (interlinked).

5. Vestibule (electricity intake etc), hall, Lounge, bedroom1, bedroom 2. Kitchen heat and CO detectors. All interlinked.

Only 5???

I have 2 heat detectors and 10 ionisation smoke detectors all interlinked here

along with 4 CO alarms also interlinked.

They are also set up as two 24 hour zones on my intruder alarm panel too.

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a reflection of my own anxieties I've even gone so far as to wire in a Shelly smart relay to one of my interlinked smoke alarms so not only does it disable the MVHR system but also sends me a text to say it's gone off! I do wonder how I'll react if I ever get that text...

On Sunday, 1 December 2019 11:06:45 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
You can have one in each room if you are paranoid of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
I have a strange sensitivity issue on mine. The placement is good when it
works it detects the faintest trace of burnt toast as its in the stairwell,
however although the test button says it is fine, I have noticed that some
days when a bit of crust does burn a bit more than intended, it does not
always go off, yet on other days, it goes off with the merest hint.
I have to conclude there may be a dry joint somewhere in the circuit and
pressing the button stresses the pcb enough to make a better connection.
Trouble is, its glued to the landing beside the stairs and has been painted
around, so I'd need to get a bigger one or make up some kind of panel to put
it on. I really don't want to have though paint the paint in the hall just
cos I changed the smoke alarm!
Brian

Some of them seem especially sensitive to toast €˜smoke. We had one which
used to trigger before the toast had a decent sun tan.

Its replacement was chosen, partly, as it claimed it is resistant to false
triggering. So far it has been.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2019 21:49:18 UTC, wrote:
Only 5???
I have 2 heat detectors and 10 ionisation smoke detectors all interlinked here

I only have a 3 bedroom flat.

Well, it was a 3 bedroom flat when I bought it. It's now one bedroom, storage room and hobbies room.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 December 2019 10:05:58 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:
Well, it was a 3 bedroom flat when I bought it. It's now one bedroom,
storage room and hobbies room.

I'd keep that quiet if I were you. If Corbyn gets in, you will find you
are forced to accept free 'lodgers'.

They'll be sleeping under the workbench...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2019 20:19, Roger Hayter wrote:
Bedroom tax - oh, that was the Tories.

That was Labour propaganda.

If you are living in social housing, and you are living on benefits, and
you have a spare room that you could reasonably let out, you lose some
benefits.

You could of course ask to be moved to a smaller property.

Mind, that was the intent. In a few cases the "spare" room was required
for disability

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 21:05:04 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 07/12/2019 20:19, Roger Hayter wrote:
Bedroom tax - oh, that was the Tories.

That was Labour propaganda.

If you are living in social housing, and you are living on benefits, and
you have a spare room that you could reasonably let out, you lose some
benefits.

You could of course ask to be moved to a smaller property.

And there were, in most cases, no smaller properties available - but you
were still expected to pay.