Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Smoke alarm failures

You can have one in each room if you are paranoid of course.
Personally havving been present at some fires, it is a miracle if at least
one does not go off, as smoke does get everywhere pretty fast in my
experience
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robin" wrote in message
On 30/11/2019 09:15, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest fail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

They count as a failure to work any fire they attend where the alarm
didn't go off. So it includes where the fire was not close enough to the
alarm, including in an area not covered by the alarm. Easy enough in
terraces I think - eg fire in the kitchen at the back of a house with
only one alarm on the first floor landing at the front.

But I did once find the sole alarm in a bungalow on a shelf in the airing
cupboard - 'cos she "was worried about all those clothes over the
cylinder".

--
Robin