Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Smoke alarm failures

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
I have a strange sensitivity issue on mine. The placement is good when it
works it detects the faintest trace of burnt toast as its in the stairwell,
however although the test button says it is fine, I have noticed that some
days when a bit of crust does burn a bit more than intended, it does not
always go off, yet on other days, it goes off with the merest hint.
I have to conclude there may be a dry joint somewhere in the circuit and
pressing the button stresses the pcb enough to make a better connection.
Trouble is, its glued to the landing beside the stairs and has been painted
around, so I'd need to get a bigger one or make up some kind of panel to put
it on. I really don't want to have though paint the paint in the hall just
cos I changed the smoke alarm!
Brian

Some of them seem especially sensitive to toast €˜smoke. We had one which
used to trigger before the toast had a decent sun tan.

Its replacement was chosen, partly, as it claimed it is resistant to false
triggering. So far it has been.