Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Smoke alarm failures

ARW wrote:
On 30/11/2019 10:50, Robin wrote:
On 30/11/2019 09:15, ARW wrote:
45% due to bad positioning, 20% no battery. So why did the rest
fail? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50598387

How badly does it need to be positioned to cause it not to work?

They count as a failure to work any fire they attend where the alarm
didn't go off. So it includes where the fire was not close enough to
the alarm, including in an area not covered by the alarm. Easy enough
in terraces I think - eg fire in the kitchen at the back of a house
with only one alarm on the first floor landing at the front.

But I did once find the sole alarm in a bungalow on a shelf in the
airing cupboard - 'cos she "was worried about all those clothes over
the cylinder".

Thanks for that. So basically a room with no smoke.

In a past life and as a contractor I installed cheap smoke alarms in a lot
of warehouses nationwide. The batteries were very cheap. When I muttered
about this I was told to STFU. 12 months later I visited the sites for the
annual service. Every alarm was chirping due to flat batteries. Not one
manager picked up the phone to report this. It is a long drive to
Southampton and back.