Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

Default Replacement TV remote

Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd
combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and
should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances' even
though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm assuming so
here).

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most seem
to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a reputable
maker of a universal type.

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general knowledge
on here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16:07 28 Nov 2019, Bev wrote:

Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd
combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and
should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances' even
though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm assuming so
here).

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most seem
to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a reputable
maker of a universal type.

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general knowledge
on here.

This remote control might be helpful. My mother's assistive technology team
at the council gave her one free when she was diagnosed with dementia. Other
aids too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro/dp/B0014F2CJC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2019 16:07, Bev wrote:
Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd
combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and
should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances' even
though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm assuming so
here).

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most seem
to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a reputable
maker of a universal type.

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general knowledge
on here.

This place claims to have Logic remotes :-

https://www.remotes4u.co.uk/

Or, you *could* try the Sony Handy Speaker (but not cheap) -

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-srs-l...=handy+speaker

This less easy to 'lose' (unless she chucks it in the fire or bin)
and it also functions as a remote control, although Logik doesn't
seem to be on its list of supported brands.

If you are near a J-L, go and ask.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 16:10:54 +0000, pamela wrote:

On 16:07 28 Nov 2019, Bev wrote:

Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd
combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and
should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances'
even though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm
assuming so here).

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most
seem to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a
reputable maker of a universal type.

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general
knowledge on here.

This remote control might be helpful. My mother's assistive technology
team at the council gave her one free when she was diagnosed with
dementia. Other aids too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro/dp/B0014F2CJC

Interesting - thanks for the link. I think that MiL may find it
confusing to skip up and down channels though when she used to just press
5 or 10 or 1 or whatever.

I suppose I could play around in the TV menu and just have her favourites
listed but I'm not sure how the remote would select from just those.

Too many channels - too much choice (and little worth watching IME)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 16:22:56 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 28/11/2019 16:07, Bev wrote:
Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd
combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and
should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances'
even though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm
assuming so here).

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most
seem to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a
reputable maker of a universal type.

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general
knowledge on here.

This place claims to have Logic remotes :-

https://www.remotes4u.co.uk/

Thanks - I'd found that one (along with one in Ireland). I'm tempted by
them..

Or, you *could* try the Sony Handy Speaker (but not cheap) -

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-srs-l...dy-tv-speaker/

p3425583?searchTerm=handy+speaker

This less easy to 'lose' (unless she chucks it in the fire or bin)
and it also functions as a remote control, although Logik doesn't seem
to be on its list of supported brands.

If you are near a J-L, go and ask.

Hmm, not for her but maybe for me as I get told that I have the volume
too high. Nearest JL is a way from us but it could be worth a visit to
check out just how they work in practice. Two speakers in different
parts of the room may be a bit of an issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:23:13 -0600, Bev wrote:

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 16:22:56 +0000, Andrew wrote:

This place claims to have Logic remotes :-

https://www.remotes4u.co.uk/

Thanks - I'd found that one (along with one in Ireland). I'm tempted by
them..

I should add that as they seem to be based in Doncaster I suppose either
Bill or Adam could be sent in to sort them out if I have a problem!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2019 16:07, Bev wrote:
Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd
combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and
should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances' even
though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm assuming so
here).

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most seem
to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a reputable
maker of a universal type.

They are all much of a muchness. Just make sure the one you pick has
decent sized buttons and a similar layout to the missing one.

In your situation I would look down the sides of every piece of
furniture before buying another one and if at all possible replace it
with like for like so that the button layout is identical.

With dementia small changes in how to do things can result in failure to
do them at all.

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general knowledge
on here.

ISTR larger Tesco's have some and Curried PC World have then on the
shelf which might be helpful even if you pay a bit more than online.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another problem with a lot of replacements is that the user needs to have
access to the remote ie not to lose it first...

Listen even I get confused about channels, they just had another reshuffle
and I really need to spend a morning sorting the bloomin thing out AGAIN!
It would be nice if the Amazon echo could be used...
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
o.uk...

On 16:07 28 Nov 2019, Bev wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 November 2019 16:07:44 UTC, Bev wrote:
Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd
combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and
should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances' even
though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm assuming so
here).

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most seem
to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a reputable
maker of a universal type.

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general knowledge
on here.

Gogogle "remotes for you"
Sells replacements and universal remotes.
If she has dementia, a replacement would be better, a different one would confuse her.

I had one from here when mine packed in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 November 2019 16:07:44 UTC, Bev wrote:

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general knowledge
on here.

Sometimes TVs' and such can be used using an app on a phone or tablet, the buttons are much bigger too on larger screen + slightly less easy to lose, but you'll need to be networked up with a rounter and have the appliances able to support such a thing, which of course might not be possible as the elderly are less likely to have such a thing in their homes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 10:07:42 -0600, Bev wrote:

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most seem
to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a reputable
maker of a universal type.

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=tv%20remote%20control

quality is usually good and fair prices, note that the prices in
brackets are the VAT included ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 November 2019 18:08:02 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

With dementia small changes in how to do things can result in failure to
do them at all.

I've heard of someone that was presented with two options in the mid 70s ..stay in or leave, 40 odd years later they had to do the same again except this time they couldn't decide whether to be in or out so decided to make his own box as a 3rd option of not wanting to be in or out, perhaps he just wanted to shake it all about. ;-D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bev wrote:
Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd
combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and
should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances'
even though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm
assuming so here).

Have you checked Ebay to see if a proper replacement is available? Perhaps
a copy rather than genuine spare? Someone with dementia might find it hard
to learn to use a different one.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.