Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default LED house number

Years ago I made an illuminated house number. I soldered hundreds of
little LEDs across busbars. I might have posted pictures here at the
time. Anyway I decided I want an illuminated number on the new postbox
(made necessary by the gate), but this time I would take advantage of
the availability of LED panels. I used a 300 x 300 one because I
couldn't find a smaller square one. I cut the number out of an aluminium
panel (the side panel of an old PC). I tried to get someone to cut it
out with a laser machine but only one replied and they wanted stupid
money so I did it with a Dremel. It's a bit rough but no-one will
notice. The aluminium is fixed to a sheet of 2mm white perspex. The
whole thing will be behind a clear perspex window.

The reason I have large illuminated house numbers is because there are
idiots on this (long winding dark) road who insist on giving the house
name rather than the number to the non-English speaking delivery boys
who come out from the fast food establishments. When some hapless
Slovakian bothers me at an ungodly hour to ask if this is 'Niceouse' or
'Costaplenty' I can simply point at the number and "No it bloody well
isn't, so **** off."

These intrusions were one reason for getting the gate. The other was the
constant stream of 'unexpected visitors'.

The bird sits on the wire across the road most days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbjnzp4vex...20res.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jd3syjwqm...3%201.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu86h00wjs...3%202.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cne9qwtzjr...3%203.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7bus5l2yc...3%204.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfg9tj187kgzcb9/05.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/emcj8vnovu...3%205.jpg?dl=0

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

These intrusions were one reason for getting the gate. The other was the
constant stream of 'unexpected visitors'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfg9tj187kgzcb9/05.JPG?dl=

Did you intend to send #5 to crimewatch?
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2019 16:25, Bill Wright wrote:
Years ago I made an illuminated house number.

PS: Thanks Adam for the info about dimmers. And what happened to them
panels you said I could have?

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2019 16:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

These intrusions were one reason for getting the gate. The other was
the constant stream of 'unexpected visitors'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfg9tj187kgzcb9/05.JPG?dl=

Did you intend to send #5 to crimewatch?

Do like the chinese do with jaywalkers, display the faces of visitors
on a big (thiefproof) outdoor led screen ?.

It could double up as a house number display :-).

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2019 16:25, Bill Wright wrote:

The bird sits on the wire across the road most days.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbjnzp4vex...20res.jpg?dl=0

That's a kestrel, subject of Gerard Manley Hopkins rather 'flighty'
(sorry but it seemed more appropriate than 'fanciful') poem, The Windhover:

Gerard Manley Hopkins - The Windhover
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe.../the-windhover

The other day I was sitting at my desk, after all that's what they're
for, when I heard a dull thud from the direction of the window. I
looked up in that general direction, and there was a grease mark on the
window that hadn't been there before, and a bemused and confused looking
sparrow hawk perched on the handle of my mower just beyond it. After a
short while, it flew down onto the lawn, looked about a bit, then,
before I could react, swooped back onto my mower, picked up a dead bird,
and flew off. I managed to get the camera out and snap these before it
disappeared (sorry, haven't bothered to cut them down from 13-15MB), it
seemed to be trying to work out what had happened. ...
"Cor bloody 'ell, what was *that*!"
www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/Sparrow_Hawk_1.jpg
"I was about here ..."
www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/Sparrow_Hawk_2.jpg
"... so where's my dinner?!"
www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/Sparrow_Hawk_3.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfg9tj187kgzcb9/05.JPG?dl=0

Now he definitely looks sinister, any idea what he was doing?

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

[...]

I'll drop the 600 x600s off when I pass. I had not forgotten just too
busy and not near enough to you.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 16:25:06 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Years ago I made an illuminated house number. ...
It's a bit rough but no-one will notice.

We will :-)

A slab font would have been easier. Or even a dot-matrix style.

Is the mains input cable correctly glanded or do I see some exposed insulations outside the enclosure?

Owain

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

These intrusions were one reason for getting the gate. The other was
the constant stream of 'unexpected visitors'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfg9tj187kgzcb9/05.JPG?dl=

Did you intend to send #5 to crimewatch?

That was one of a sequence. The bobbies liked it. In fact the person and
his friends committed no crime. They just came onto the property and
hung around for a while, threw some litter out, and eventually went away.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2019 18:12, Java Jive wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*"Cor bloody 'ell, what was *that*!"
Â*Â*Â*Â*www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/Sparrow_Hawk_1.jpg
Â*Â*Â*Â*"I was about here ..."
Â*Â*Â*Â*www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/Sparrow_Hawk_2.jpg
Â*Â*Â*Â*"... so where's my dinner?!"
Â*Â*Â*Â*www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/Sparrow_Hawk_3.jpg

Nice.

Now he definitely looks sinister, any idea what he was doing?

We never found out, but in the end they didn't break any laws. They
buggered off.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2019 19:02, ARW wrote:

I'll drop the 600 x600s off when I pass. I had not forgotten just too
busy and not near enough to you.

Righto. I'll get the kettle on.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2019 16:25, Bill Wright wrote:

The bird sits on the wire across the road most days.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbjnzp4vex...20res.jpg?dl=0

That's a kestrel, subject of Gerard Manley Hopkins rather 'flighty'
(sorry but it seemed more appropriate than 'fanciful') poem, The Windhover:

Gerard Manley Hopkins - The Windhover
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe.../the-windhover

TBH Charles, that was not the literary work foremost in my mind,
especially after enjoying this BBC4 documentary in the early hours of
Tuesday morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ooking-for-kes

My guess is A.K.F.A.K. was the "set book" when Bill was teaching.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 00:39, Graham. wrote:

My guess is A.K.F.A.K. was the "set book" when Bill was teaching.

No, but it was a very well-liked film in South Yorkshire. I'm afraid
some of the kids I taught were on Janet and John. They shouldn't have
been in mainstream schooling.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 23:01:24 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
That was one of a sequence. The bobbies liked it. In fact the person and
his friends committed no crime. They just came onto the property and
hung around for a while, threw some litter out, and eventually went away.

= fly tipping. A crime.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 16:25:06 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Years ago I made an illuminated house number. I soldered hundreds of
little LEDs across busbars. I might have posted pictures here at the
time. Anyway I decided I want an illuminated number on the new postbox
(made necessary by the gate), but this time I would take advantage of
the availability of LED panels. I used a 300 x 300 one because I
couldn't find a smaller square one. I cut the number out of an aluminium
panel (the side panel of an old PC). I tried to get someone to cut it
out with a laser machine but only one replied and they wanted stupid
money so I did it with a Dremel. It's a bit rough but no-one will
notice. The aluminium is fixed to a sheet of 2mm white perspex. The
whole thing will be behind a clear perspex window.

If your 2mm perspex is matted & touching the ali you'll get soft edges to the numbers & minor errors will become unnoticeable.

NT

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Graham. submitted this idea :
TBH Charles, that was not the literary work foremost in my mind,
especially after enjoying this BBC4 documentary in the early hours of
Tuesday morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ooking-for-kes

I saw that too, earlier in the week and quite enjoyed it - very
interesting too. I also remember which cinema I saw 'Kes' in, I make a
point of watching out for Ken Loach's gritty films.

I met Brian Glover when I was 14 and doing a Saturday job, before he
became famous. He was courting the manageress of the place I worked. He
was just like his TV and cinema persona.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Is that not a bit wasteful of the light generated?

What I need is an illuminated number on a post high enough to be seen by a
taxi over the ubiquitous parked cars in the street. No way does one on my
fence help in any way, since its wall to wall cars parked.

It has also to be visible in daylight though, so a contrasting colour with
the background.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Being the child of a TV Engineer and tester for the company of various tvs,
I learned to read the instructions manuals well before I was exposed to
Janet and John. I guess I must have seemed like a right smart ass at the
infant school. Well I knew no better. I was also quite good at pronouncing
the names of racehorses as my granny who looked after me during the day used
to watch the racing on an afternoon, none of that Andy pandy crap.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 00:39, Graham. wrote:

My guess is A.K.F.A.K. was the "set book" when Bill was teaching.

No, but it was a very well-liked film in South Yorkshire. I'm afraid some
of the kids I taught were on Janet and John. They shouldn't have been in
mainstream schooling.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 08:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Graham. submitted this idea :

TBH Charles, that was not the literary work foremost in my mind,
especially after enjoying this BBC4 documentary in the early hours of
Tuesday morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ooking-for-kes

Yes, I noticed that, but didn't bother to download it. AFAIK the
original film wasn't shown, was it?

I saw that too, earlier in the week and quite enjoyed it - very
interesting too. I also remember which cinema I saw 'Kes' in, I make a
point of watching out for Ken Loach's gritty films.

Yes, I'd like to see the original film again. I'm something of an
admirer of Ken Loach's work. The first thing of his I saw was 'Cathy
Come Home', which, even watching it today, still has the power to move
me and make me angry at officialdom.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2019 23:01, Bill Wright wrote:

That was one of a sequence. The bobbies liked it. In fact the person and
his friends committed no crime. They just came onto the property and
hung around for a while, threw some litter out, and eventually went away.

Isn't throwing litter a crime?
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 13:31, Java Jive wrote:
On 26/11/2019 23:01, Bill Wright wrote:

That was one of a sequence. The bobbies liked it. In fact the person
and his friends committed no crime. They just came onto the property
and hung around for a while, threw some litter out, and eventually
went away.

Isn't throwing litter a crime?

Not on someone elses private property, as many farmers have discovered
to their cost when fly tippers have left the farmer with a huge cleanup
bill.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 13:43, Andrew wrote:
On 27/11/2019 13:31, Java Jive wrote:
On 26/11/2019 23:01, Bill Wright wrote:

That was one of a sequence. The bobbies liked it. In fact the person
and his friends committed no crime. They just came onto the property
and hung around for a while, threw some litter out, and eventually
went away.

Isn't throwing litter a crime?

Not on someone elses private property, as many farmers have discovered
to their cost when fly tippers have left the farmer with a huge cleanup
bill.

Then that's trespass, which I believe is a crime in England, but not in
Scotland unless damage is caused, which, under the scenario under
discussion, it would be?

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...-nuisance-land

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I met Brian Glover when I was 14 and doing a Saturday job, before he
became famous. He was courting the manageress of the place I worked. He
was just like his TV and cinema persona.

He taught at the school where my dad was senior master (which was
where he met Barry Hines), whilst wrestling on the side as "Leon
Arras".

I only saw him in the flesh once, whilst I was with the family
queuing for a slice of Denby Dale Pie, in what must have been
1964, he had a brief chat with my father.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 13:55, Java Jive wrote:
On 27/11/2019 13:43, Andrew wrote:
On 27/11/2019 13:31, Java Jive wrote:
On 26/11/2019 23:01, Bill Wright wrote:

That was one of a sequence. The bobbies liked it. In fact the person
and his friends committed no crime. They just came onto the property
and hung around for a while, threw some litter out, and eventually
went away.

Isn't throwing litter a crime?

Not on someone elses private property, as many farmers have discovered
to their cost when fly tippers have left the farmer with a huge cleanup
bill.

Then that's trespass, which I believe is a crime in England, but not in
Scotland unless damage is caused, which, under the scenario under
discussion, it would be?

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...-nuisance-land

Indeed, but the problem is catching them, even if they can be
identified. In rural areas this doesn't seem to be a very high
priority for overstretched plod.

Having a 8-wheeler full of asbestos roofing dumped in a remote
field is not much fun for the landowner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 November 2019 13:44:04 UTC, Andrew wrote:
Isn't throwing litter a crime?

Not on someone elses private property, as many farmers have discovered
to their cost when fly tippers have left the farmer with a huge cleanup
bill.

It is a crime, but it's the landowner who has the clearing-up cost (although if he can trace the perpetrator presumably he could sue.)

Owain

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 12:23, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Being the child of a TV Engineer and tester for the company of various tvs,
I learned to read the instructions manuals well before I was exposed to
Janet and John. I guess I must have seemed like a right smart ass at the
infant school. Well I knew no better. I was also quite good at pronouncing
the names of racehorses as my granny who looked after me during the day used
to watch the racing on an afternoon, none of that Andy pandy crap.

Well, it could have been if it was 1977:

"It was not until Becher's Brook (the 22nd) that Red Rum went into first
position, when the leader and pre-race favourite, Andy Pandy, fell".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_Grand_National
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 14:23, Andrew wrote:

On 27/11/2019 13:55, Java Jive wrote:

On 27/11/2019 13:43, Andrew wrote:

On 27/11/2019 13:31, Java Jive wrote:

Isn't throwing litter a crime?

Not on someone elses private property, as many farmers have discovered
to their cost when fly tippers have left the farmer with a huge cleanup
bill.

Then that's trespass, which I believe is a crime in England, but not
in Scotland unless damage is caused, which, under the scenario under
discussion, it would be?

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...-nuisance-land

Indeed, but the problem is catching them, even if they can be
identified. In rural areas this doesn't seem to be a very high
priority for overstretched plod.

Having a 8-wheeler full of asbestos roofing dumped in a remote
field is not much fun for the landowner.

F*king *******s! We even get that sort of thing around here, I've seen
a load of stuff dumped in a layby - dead tv, old tyres, etc. This
less than five miles away from the local tip where the same could have
been dumped for free.

But, actually, almost a worse problem are some of the farmers themselves
- derelict farm buildings, old tractors, rolls of old fencing, etc
just left to rot. In an environment like that, it's almost not
surprising that people add their own fly-tipping to the mix.

Then there are the drivers who just throw things out of their vehicle
windows, such as in Bill's case. I walk local roads regularly, and
every time, summer or winter (so mostly it's not tourists) I see new
items appear on the verge every few hundred yards - cans, plastic
bottles, plastic bags, sometimes even nappies and sanitary items.

I confess it's something that really, really angers me.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Java Jive
writes

F*king *******s! We even get that sort of thing around here, I've seen
a load of stuff dumped in a layby - dead tv, old tyres, etc. This
less than five miles away from the local tip where the same could have
been dumped for free.

Free? An increasing number of local tips (sorry - "recycling
facilities") have, for quite some time, been charging for allowing you
to dispose of your unwanted stuff. General day-to-day personal household
stuff is generally still free, but anything that smacks of DIY, property
and garden maintenance, improvement and modification etc might well
attract a charge (as though it was trade). Strangely, local authorities
in whose areas the tips now charge for personal waste are totally
puzzled as to why there has also been a marked increase in fly-tipping.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 14:53, Java Jive wrote:
On 27/11/2019 14:23, Andrew wrote:

On 27/11/2019 13:55, Java Jive wrote:

On 27/11/2019 13:43, Andrew wrote:

On 27/11/2019 13:31, Java Jive wrote:

Isn't throwing litter a crime?

Not on someone elses private property, as many farmers have discovered
to their cost when fly tippers have left the farmer with a huge cleanup
bill.

Then that's trespass, which I believe is a crime in England, but not
in Scotland unless damage is caused, which, under the scenario under
discussion, it would be?

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...-nuisance-land

Indeed, but the problem is catching them, even if they can be
identified. In rural areas this doesn't seem to be a very high
priority for overstretched plod.

Having a 8-wheeler full of asbestos roofing dumped in a remote
field is not much fun for the landowner.

F*king *******s!Â* We even get that sort of thing around here, I've seen
a load of stuff dumped in a laybyÂ* -Â* dead tv, old tyres, etc.Â* This
less than five miles away from the local tip where the same could have
been dumped for free.

But, actually, almost a worse problem are some of the farmers themselves
Â*-Â* derelict farm buildings, old tractors, rolls of old fencing, etc
just left to rot.Â* In an environment like that, it's almost not
surprising that people add their own fly-tipping to the mix.

Then there are the drivers who just throw things out of their vehicle
windows, such as in Bill's case.Â* I walk local roads regularly, and
every time, summer or winter (so mostly it's not tourists) I see new
items appear on the verge every few hundred yardsÂ* -Â* cans, plastic
bottles, plastic bags, sometimes even nappies and sanitary items.

I confess it's something that really, really angers me.

The nappies etc probably are tourists, or indeed anyone with kids.

You should visit some of the laybys on the A34. TO save money on proper
overnight truck stops, a lot of drivers overnight here and then take a
dump on the grass behind the layby and leave their 2-litre coke bottles
full of **** for the highways agency to clean up. The smell is
horrendous in hot weather.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 16:12, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Java Jive
writes

F*king *******s!Â* We even get that sort of thing around here, I've
seen a load of stuff dumped in a laybyÂ* -Â* dead tv, old tyres, etc.
This less than five miles away from the local tip where the same could
have been dumped for free.

Free? An increasing number of local tips (sorry - "recycling
facilities") have, for quite some time, been charging for allowing you
to dispose of your unwanted stuff. General day-to-day personal household
stuff is generally still free, but anything that smacks of DIY, property
and garden maintenance, improvement and modification etc might well
attract a charge (as though it was trade). Strangely, local authorities
in whose areas the tips now charge for personal waste are totally
puzzled as to why there has also been a marked increase in fly-tipping.

West Sussex still accept DIY waste. They only charge for car tyres and a
few other things, but soon realised that Surrey residents were driving
all the way to Billingshurst to dump *their* diy and other stuff that
Surrey now charges for.

Most trailers are now banned, even the silly little diy camper things.

From Dec 1st anyone using a WSCC tip must carry a signed note from all
four of their grandparents, or something like that, to prove where they
live.

The roads between Billingshurst and Guildford or up the A29 back to
Dorking are going to get a hammering with flytipping any day soon.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 16:26, Andrew wrote:

On 27/11/2019 16:12, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Java Jive
writes

F*king *******s!Â* We even get that sort of thing around here, I've
seen a load of stuff dumped in a laybyÂ* -Â* dead tv, old tyres, etc.
This less than five miles away from the local tip where the same
could have been dumped for free.

Free? An increasing number of local tips (sorry - "recycling
facilities") have, for quite some time, been charging for allowing you
to dispose of your unwanted stuff.

Well, this is Scotland, Highland Council to be exact, and AFAIAA all the
local tips will still accept free the sort of stuff that was flytipped
in that layby - certainly the dead TV, and I think up to two car tyres
at a time, and IIRC there were only the two. However, there is a form
that you're supposed to fill out for disposing of larger quantities of
DIY waste from vans or trailers, but when I took down a trailer-load of
junk from cleaning out around my house, including bits of an old washing
machine and some rusty gates, the guy at the site accepted these without
any form or any bother.

General day-to-day personal
household stuff is generally still free, but anything that smacks of
DIY, property and garden maintenance, improvement and modification etc
might well attract a charge (as though it was trade). Strangely, local
authorities in whose areas the tips now charge for personal waste are
totally puzzled as to why there has also been a marked increase in
fly-tipping.

Yes, seems somewhat short-sighted.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 16:20, Andrew wrote:
[...]

themselves Â*Â*-Â* derelict farm buildings, old tractors, rolls of old
fencing, etc just left to rot.Â* In an environment like that, it's
almost not surprising that people add their own fly-tipping to the mix.

Then there are the drivers who just throw things out of their vehicle
windows, such as in Bill's case.Â* I walk local roads regularly, and
every time, summer or winter (so mostly it's not tourists) I see new
items appear on the verge every few hundred yardsÂ* -Â* cans, plastic
bottles, plastic bags, sometimes even nappies and sanitary items.

I confess it's something that really, really angers me.

The nappies etc probably are tourists, or indeed anyone with kids.

Those might have been tourists, but in general the rate of accumulation
builds up equally in summer and in winter, so most of the stuff thrown
onto the verges is not from tourists, but local people driving out into
Sutherland to and from work - delivery van drivers, builders, etc.

You should visit some of the laybys on the A34. TO save money on proper
overnight truck stops, a lot of drivers overnight here and then take a
dump on the grass behind the layby and leave their 2-litre coke bottles
full of **** for the highways agency to clean up. The smell is
horrendous in hot weather.

Ugh! Reminds me rather of this:

Costing the Earth - Litter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0742d31

There's an interview in it with an American-born, I think, resident in
the UK who was so appalled at the litter on the roadside around his area
that he started picking it up. He found that where people had eaten a
take-away such as fish'n'chips, they'd then crapped into the polystyrene
container and chucked it out of the window.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Java Jive formulated the question :
Yes, I noticed that, but didn't bother to download it. AFAIK the original
film wasn't shown, was it?

No, only short snips of the original..

I saw that too, earlier in the week and quite enjoyed it - very interesting
too. I also remember which cinema I saw 'Kes' in, I make a point of
watching out for Ken Loach's gritty films.

Yes, I'd like to see the original film again. I'm something of an admirer of
Ken Loach's work. The first thing of his I saw was 'Cathy Come Home', which,
even watching it today, still has the power to move me and make me angry at
officialdom.

Its what he does best.. All very well observed and grittily realistic.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote on 27/11/2019 :
I only saw him in the flesh once, whilst I was with the family
queuing for a slice of Denby Dale Pie, in what must have been
1964, he had a brief chat with my father.

I felt quite intimidated by him, he spoke and acted exactly the way he
appeared in Kes with that strong south Yorks accent. I had no idea who
he was back then, but I recognised him straight away when I saw Kes a
decade later in the 70's.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 12:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Is that not a bit wasteful of the light generated?

What? You need to quote what you're answering.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 13:31, Java Jive wrote:
On 26/11/2019 23:01, Bill Wright wrote:

That was one of a sequence. The bobbies liked it. In fact the person
and his friends committed no crime. They just came onto the property
and hung around for a while, threw some litter out, and eventually
went away.

Isn't throwing litter a crime?

I don't know if it is when on private property. It ought to be.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 13:43, Andrew wrote:
On 27/11/2019 13:31, Java Jive wrote:
On 26/11/2019 23:01, Bill Wright wrote:

That was one of a sequence. The bobbies liked it. In fact the person
and his friends committed no crime. They just came onto the property
and hung around for a while, threw some litter out, and eventually
went away.

Isn't throwing litter a crime?

Not on someone elses private property, as many farmers have discovered
to their cost when fly tippers have left the farmer with a huge cleanup
bill.

Aren't you confusing criminal law with the council's stated
responsibilities?

Bill