Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default LED house number

On 26/11/2019 16:25, Bill Wright wrote:
Years ago I made an illuminated house number. I soldered hundreds of
little LEDs across busbars. I might have posted pictures here at the
time. Anyway I decided I want an illuminated number on the new postbox
(made necessary by the gate), but this time I would take advantage of
the availability of LED panels. I used a 300 x 300 one because I
couldn't find a smaller square one. I cut the number out of an aluminium
panel (the side panel of an old PC). I tried to get someone to cut it
out with a laser machine but only one replied and they wanted stupid
money so I did it with a Dremel. It's a bit rough but no-one will
notice. The aluminium is fixed to a sheet of 2mm white perspex. The
whole thing will be behind a clear perspex window.

The reason I have large illuminated house numbers is because there are
idiots on this (long winding dark) road who insist on giving the house
name rather than the number to the non-English speaking delivery boys
who come out from the fast food establishments. When some hapless
Slovakian bothers me at an ungodly hour to ask if this is 'Niceouse' or
'Costaplenty' I can simply point at the number and "No it bloody well
isn't, so **** off."

These intrusions were one reason for getting the gate. The other was the
constant stream of 'unexpected visitors'.

The bird sits on the wire across the road most days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbjnzp4vex...20res.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jd3syjwqm...3%201.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu86h00wjs...3%202.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cne9qwtzjr...3%203.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7bus5l2yc...3%204.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfg9tj187kgzcb9/05.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/emcj8vnovu...3%205.jpg?dl=0

Bill

I'll drop the 600 x600s off when I pass. I had not forgotten just too
busy and not near enough to you.

--
Adam