Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2025 analogue phone line switch off

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means
for the average home phone user.

Thoughts?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means for
the average home phone user.

Thoughts?

Everyone will need to buy either new phones or else a converter (essentially
analogue/digital interface) to allow existing analogue phone to work.

Either way, power will be needed for these phones or converters, which means
that a landline phone cannot be relied on during power cuts. When we were
having up-down-up-down power cuts the other night, I was able to use an "old
fashioned" corded phone to phone the power distribution people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 10:28:36 UTC, NY wrote:
"Graeme" wrote in message

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means for
the average home phone user.

Thoughts?

Everyone will need to buy either new phones or else a converter (essentially
analogue/digital interface) to allow existing analogue phone to work.

Either way, power will be needed for these phones or converters, which means
that a landline phone cannot be relied on during power cuts. When we were
having up-down-up-down power cuts the other night, I was able to use an "old
fashioned" corded phone to phone the power distribution people.

The converter or new phone could include a rechargeable battery, perhaps of the same size as common non-rechargeables, acting as part of a mini-UPS. As an option, the phone could then optionally ring you, there or elsewhere, to tell you that the power had gone off/on ...

However, a switch-off of the analogue phone signal does not _require_ a switch-off of the DC power which is applied to the distant end of your telephone feed.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dr S Lartius" wrote in message
[...]

No, although as the UK moves gradually towards FTTP rather than ADSL or
FTTC, the ability to take DC power from the exchange or cabinet will be
removed.

Good idea to have a rechargeable battery as a short-term UPS - why didn't I
think of that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 11:22:46 UTC, Dr S Lartius wrote:
The converter or new phone could include a rechargeable battery, perhaps
of the same size as common non-rechargeables, acting as part of a mini-UPS.

BT used to supply a BBU (Battery back up unit) with their fibre network terminals but (a) I don't know how widely the analogue phone port (FVA) was used (b) this has been removed from the universal service obligation and now they don't.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dr S Lartius wrote:

However, a switch-off of the analogue phone signal does not _require_ a
switch-off of the DC power which is applied to the distant end of your telephone feed.

Wont fibre to the cabinet at least become normal once digital has fully
taken over, the few people who dont
have broadband or transferred to one of the plans that use fibre for part
of the route from the exchange
will fairly small by then and be connected in that manner wether they like
it or not.
With no copper connection it wont be possible to power phones by DC from
the exchange.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

Wnereas the replacement of copper with fibre probably does.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland wrote:

Wont fibre to the cabinet at least become normal once digital has fully
taken over, the few people who dont
have broadband or transferred to one of the plans that use fibre for part
of the route from the exchange
will fairly small by then and be connected in that manner wether they like
it or not.
With no copper connection it wont be possible to power phones by DC from
the exchange.

It's not clear whether you think that today, FTTC customers have no
copper connection back to the exchange?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 13:07, NY wrote:
No, although as the UK moves gradually towards FTTP

LOL.

At glacial speed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 13:34, Marland wrote:
Dr S Lartius wrote:

However, a switch-off of the analogue phone signal does not _require_ a
switch-off of the DC power which is applied to the distant end of your telephone feed.

Wont fibre to the cabinet at least become normal once digital has fully
taken over, the few people who dont
have broadband or transferred to one of the plans that use fibre for part
of the route from the exchange
will fairly small by then and be connected in that manner wether they like
it or not.
With no copper connection it wont be possible to power phones by DC from
the exchange.

GH

But those green cabinets have a power supply (and a non-smart meter !!)
so they could still supply DC from there (in theory).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It's not clear whether you think that today, FTTC customers have no
copper connection back to the exchange?

Perhaps we're powered by the cab, then, We've got FTTC and the old
analogue phone works just fine when there's no volts to the house.

No, the point is that there *is* copper all the way back to the
exchange, so the line voltage and analogue calls are provided from there
just like the old days, it's only the broadband that is delivered from
the cabinet (it is possible to have line cards in the cabinets, but
openreach don't do that)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue
phone lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and
having no particular interest in the subject, don't know what
this really means for the average home phone user.

Not a lot. This is already happening in Australia with the
VDSL2 service. All it means for the average home phone
user is that the landline phone is plugged into the modem
/router instead of the phone line and is a voip service.

The most obvious difference for the average home phone
user is that there is no longer a phone service during a mains
failure because the modem/router is no longer powered.
But that is no big deal because the mobile phone service
normally keeps working during a mains failure.

Some of the other broadband services like the FTTP service
has a backup battery in the modem/router which means
that the phone service continues during a mains failure
and with the VDSL2 service you are free to have your own
ups for the modem router if you want to go that route.

Thoughts?

I gave up on those, they just make my head hurt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 15:11:18 +0000, Andrew wrote:

But those green cabinets have a power supply (and a non-smart meter !!)
so they could still supply DC from there (in theory).

Whne the mains is present... I think most cabinets have batteries to
bridge short mains interuptions without the kit rebooting. They may
have enough capacity to keep the cabinet alive for 3 hours or so
which is (IIRC) about the time that the batteries in a FTTP box last.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I think most cabinets have batteries to
bridge short mains interuptions without the kit rebooting. They may
have enough capacity to keep the cabinet alive for 3 hours or so
which is (IIRC) about the time that the batteries in a FTTP box last.

I thought FTTP was GPON, so no active kit in the cabinets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:57 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 02:57:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

02:57 in Australia? AGAIN???? Can't you even TRY to hide what's wrong with
you, you clinically insane, sleepless, senile pest?

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 10:16:38 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means
for the average home phone user.

Thoughts?

Ask Mr Corbyn. This is presumably an Openreach decision.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 15:11:46 UTC, Andrew wrote:

But those green cabinets have a power supply (and a non-smart meter !!)
so they could still supply DC from there (in theory).

One near me has a smart meter with dedicated analogue telephone line
connected to the meter. It also has a large SLA 48V backup battery
made of four 12V batteries I think.

Once everyone has been moved to VoIP there will be no need for
many exchanges so they will probably be sold. Around here, for example,
the fibre from each green cabinet goes to a different exchange to the
copper. So once the copper is no longer needed, one of those exchanges
is also redundant.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 16:16:41 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

I think most cabinets have batteries to bridge short mains

interuptions
without the kit rebooting. They may have enough capacity to keep

the
cabinet alive for 3 hours or so which is (IIRC) about the time

that the
batteries in a FTTP box last.

I thought FTTP was GPON, so no active kit in the cabinets?

"FTTP box" as in the box in the premises that needs power to convert
the flashing light to ethernet or POTS...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 10:16, Graeme wrote:

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means
for the average home phone user.

Thoughts?

With the first two phones I had installed, all I had to do to use them
was to pick up the receiver.

These days I now have VOIP which is much cheaper but to make it work I
have to know how to install and configure my router and home network
wiring. I also have to understand how to configure the VOIP equipment
itself. I need a PC or maybe a mobile phone to do all this.

Were I to use BT or Vonage VOIP equipment which might be configured for
me, I would probably have to pay much more for phone calls.

My landline wired phones will work in a power cut. The power supply
company likes to send me text messages about power cuts. Thankfully my
mobile phone is able to receive these so long as the battery is charged.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well a little while back it was supposed to be next year, If it means
everyone gets an internet connection, I'm all for it. And all that crappy
overhead naff cable carrying broadband can go away and the horrible
interference it causes will vanish. However knowing such things as I do, I
doubt its that simple.
One big issue for society, and has already been experienced in Sweden, is
can we keep the infrastructure of Voip up during disasters. In the case of
the twisted pair so to speak, BT had batteries at the exchanges, but since
this means there will be no exchanges and the system is no doubt powered in
the streets from normal mains, will it all go down leaving us all cut off?

I think Germany are ahead of us, so we shall see.
Get that old CB radio out of the loft.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graeme" wrote in message

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means for
the average home phone user.

Thoughts?
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The plan though is to sell off the exchanges and remove the cabling for
recycling. The fact is that the router will still need power as will the
street infrastructure, be it coaxial cable or fibre.

Virgin have decided not to fix new wiring into faulty phone installations,
where possible just move the subscriber to a new unused circuit. I imagine
they will be going down the same route. One problem I have had with land
lines using voip is that a tone dialling memory device held against the
microphone is nowhere near as reliable as on a directly connected phone.
Brian

--
----- --

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They need to get a better codec for phones generally as you can clearly hear
which they are by the grittiness and the gargling effects and reduction in
presence as the lines get more congested.
Brian

--
----- --

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 21/11/2019 13:07, NY wrote:
No, although as the UK moves gradually towards FTTP

LOL.

At glacial speed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 13:07, NY wrote:
"Dr S Lartius" wrote in message
Everyone will need to buy either new phones or else a converter
(essentially
analogue/digital interface) to allow existing analogue phone to work.

Either way, power will be needed for these phones or converters,
which means
that a landline phone cannot be relied on during power cuts. When we
were
having up-down-up-down power cuts the other night, I was able to use
an "old
fashioned" corded phone to phone the power distribution people.

The converter or new phone could include a rechargeable battery,
perhaps of the same size as common non-rechargeables, acting as part
of a mini-UPS.Â* As an option, the phone could then optionally ring
you, there or elsewhere, to tell you that the power had gone off/on ...

However, a switch-off of the analogue phone signal does not _require_
a switch-off of the DC power which is applied to the distant end of
your telephone feed.

No, although as the UK moves gradually towards FTTP rather than ADSL or
FTTC, the ability to take DC power from the exchange or cabinet will be
removed.

Good idea to have a rechargeable battery as a short-term UPS - why
didn't I think of that?

I had one for a few years. When I moved in, the phone line had been
re-allocated to another house and there were no spare cores in the
multicore to the telegraph pole. I therefore ended up with a DACs unit
on the wall to multiplex my phone onto a line shared with another house.
It had its own battery to power it, that recharged from the phone line
when it was not in use. It also had a mains charger, in case unusually
heavy usage drained the battery faster than the line could recharge it.

Of course the problem with rechargeables is that you only notice that
they have died when you need them!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

It does with both FTTP and FTTC because with those there
is no way to provide that power anymore. While the wires
are still there with FTTC, the micronode is in fact powered
by the consumer. And even with FTTN, the node doesnt
have the capacity to supply power to the consumer anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 08:48:06 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH troll****

Get the **** out of humans-only ngs, you obnoxious senile cretin!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marland" wrote in message
Dr S Lartius wrote:

However, a switch-off of the analogue phone signal does not _require_ a
switch-off of the DC power which is applied to the distant end of your
telephone feed.

Wont fibre to the cabinet at least become normal once digital
has fully taken over, the few people who dont have broadband
or transferred to one of the plans that use fibre for part of the
route from the exchange will fairly small by then

In theory at least ours will all be gone 18 months after
the broadband service has become available to them.
They have to change to have the landline service over
the broadband service or decide they are happy with
a mobile service alone. I say in theory because in
practice there are still a few dinosaur services that
still need the copper back to the exchange like
some of the older traffic light systems etc, but
they are still pulling the plug on the old POTS
services for households. So no copper between
the cabinet and the exchange anymore.

and be connected in that manner wether they like
it or not. With no copper connection it wont be
possible to power phones by DC from the exchange.

Yep. And our RIMs and CMUXes have had only
fibre back to the exchange for decades now.
And once all the POTS and adsl service they
provide have been cut over to the FTTP or FTTC
they will all be gone too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 18:16:08 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

They need to get a better codec for phones generally as you can clearly
hear which they are by the grittiness and the gargling effects and
reduction in presence as the lines get more congested.

Mobiles yes but not proper VOIP calls. Unless you are trying to use
VOIP over an iffy mobile data link rather than a stable
ADSL/VDSL/FTTP connection but even then it's just drop outsrather
than the mangled donald duck noises that mobiles produce.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 09:06:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile cretin's troll****

Get the **** out of normally evolved humans' ngs, you trolling senile pest
from Oz!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dr S Lartius wrote:

However, a switch-off of the analogue phone signal does not _require_ a
switch-off of the DC power which is applied to the distant end of your
telephone feed.

Wont fibre to the cabinet at least become normal once digital has fully
taken over, the few people who dont
have broadband or transferred to one of the plans that use fibre for
part
of the route from the exchange
will fairly small by then and be connected in that manner wether they
like
it or not.
With no copper connection it wont be possible to power phones by DC from
the exchange.

GH

But those green cabinets have a power supply (and a non-smart meter !!)
so they could still supply DC from there (in theory).

But not for long, nothing like as long as an exchange can do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 10:03:45 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH troll****

Get the **** out of normally evolved humans' ngs, senile Ozzie cretin!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Well a little while back it was supposed to be next year, If it means
everyone gets an internet connection, I'm all for it. And all that crappy
overhead naff cable carrying broadband can go away and the horrible
interference it causes will vanish. However knowing such things as I do, I
doubt its that simple.

One big issue for society, and has already been experienced in Sweden, is
can we keep the infrastructure of Voip up during disasters. In the case of
the twisted pair so to speak, BT had batteries at the exchanges, but since
this means there will be no exchanges and the system is no doubt powered
in the streets from normal mains, will it all go down leaving us all cut
off?

Nope, most obviously with mobile phone services.

And even when the bases arent powered for long enough,
its possible to add temporary generators to those and full
standby mobile phone bases we call COWs, Cell on Wheels
that have a generator on them.

I think Germany are ahead of us, so we shall see.
Get that old CB radio out of the loft.

I don’t have a loft or a CB radio and don’t
need one now with mobile phones.

"Graeme" wrote in message

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means for
the average home phone user.

Thoughts?
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
The plan though is to sell off the exchanges and remove the cabling for
recycling. The fact is that the router will still need power as will the
street infrastructure, be it coaxial cable or fibre.

Virgin have decided not to fix new wiring into faulty phone installations,
where possible just move the subscriber to a new unused circuit. I imagine
they will be going down the same route. One problem I have had with land
lines using voip is that a tone dialling memory device held against the
microphone is nowhere near as reliable as on a directly connected phone.

Fark, makes much more sense to use a mobile now.

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

They need to get a better codec for phones generally as you can clearly
hear which they are by the grittiness and the gargling effects and
reduction in presence as the lines get more congested.

Don’t get anything like that here.

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 21/11/2019 13:07, NY wrote:
No, although as the UK moves gradually towards FTTP

LOL.

At glacial speed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 18:16:08 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

They need to get a better codec for phones generally as you can clearly
hear which they are by the grittiness and the gargling effects and
reduction in presence as the lines get more congested.

Mobiles yes but not proper VOIP calls. Unless you are trying to use
VOIP over an iffy mobile data link rather than a stable
ADSL/VDSL/FTTP connection but even then it's just drop outsrather
than the mangled donald duck noises that mobiles produce.

Never ever get any mangled donald duck noises
with my mobile and I use it for all calls now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 13:07, NY wrote:
[...]

The FTTP "cable" typically installed, is actually a hybrid cable with a
main fibre section, but it also includes a thin copper pair bonded to it.

Good idea to have a rechargeable battery as a short-term UPS - why
didn't I think of that?

The PON termination kit, with the fibre modem, and PSU etc includes a
battery backup as standard.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 12:58:47 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

Never ever get any mangled donald duck noises
with my mobile and I use it for all calls now.

Of course not, senile auto-contradictor! If it did, you couldn't
auto-contradict!