Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dr S Lartius Dr S Lartius is offline

Default 2025 analogue phone line switch off

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 10:28:36 UTC, NY wrote:
"Graeme" wrote in message

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means for
the average home phone user.

Thoughts?

Everyone will need to buy either new phones or else a converter (essentially
analogue/digital interface) to allow existing analogue phone to work.

Either way, power will be needed for these phones or converters, which means
that a landline phone cannot be relied on during power cuts. When we were
having up-down-up-down power cuts the other night, I was able to use an "old
fashioned" corded phone to phone the power distribution people.

The converter or new phone could include a rechargeable battery, perhaps of the same size as common non-rechargeables, acting as part of a mini-UPS. As an option, the phone could then optionally ring you, there or elsewhere, to tell you that the power had gone off/on ...

However, a switch-off of the analogue phone signal does not _require_ a switch-off of the DC power which is applied to the distant end of your telephone feed.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |