Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thanks to rain...

I can now barely achieve 1Mbps download speed. Every three hours or so...

The rest of the time nothing.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 November 2019 18:13:42 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I can now barely achieve 1Mbps download speed. Every three hours or so...
The rest of the time nothing.

Disconnect your telephonic equipment and apply a Megger to the line.

This will fizzle off the dampness.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking wrote :
This will fizzle off the dampness.

Along with the exchange equipment and any personnel working on the
line..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2019 18:20, Andrew wrote:

Or get someone to phone your landline number. The 50V from
the exchange will do the same.

I've found that ringing my own number from my mobile provides a
temporary cure (for a few hours) for a noisy line on the occasions when
I've had to report this kind of fault that kills the speed on my broadband.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 19:09:08 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 14/11/2019 18:20, Andrew wrote:

Or get someone to phone your landline number. The 50V from
the exchange will do the same.

I've found that ringing my own number from my mobile provides a
temporary cure (for a few hours) for a noisy line on the occasions when
I've had to report this kind of fault that kills the speed on my broadband.

Neat idea: I get the same problem and I'd never thought of that.
Nobody ever calls me on my landline these days.

Thanks,

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can now barely achieve 1Mbps download speed. Every three hours or so...

The rest of the time nothing.

Junction boxes full of spiders and water this time of year. The beck is
in spate but not yet running over the road like it was last Thursday. It
has taken 1Mbps off my speed and some dropouts too but so far so good.

We were quite lucky - places either side of us got a lot more rain and
to the south are still on national news with catastrophic flooding.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/11/2019 18:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking wrote :
This will fizzle off the dampness.

Along with the exchange equipment and any personnel working on the line..

Not killed an apprentice yet by asking them to hold the ends of a cable
I am testing.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/11/2019 20:24, Martin Brown wrote:

We were quite lucky - places either side of us got a lot more rain and
to the south are still on national news with catastrophic flooding.

I'll class myself as lucky as my house has not (and probably could not)
flood.

I now have to set off to work 30 minutes earlier than normal to get to
work on time, getting home normally take 45 to 50 minutes, it now takes
up to 2 hours.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW explained :
Not killed an apprentice yet by asking them to hold the ends of a cable I am
testing.

Then you are not trying hard enough.

The best result is obtained by meggering them when they are on top of a
ladder :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/11/2019 20:23, Nick Odell wrote:

Nobody ever calls me on my landline these days.

I rarely carry my mobile phone, so people have learnt to ring me on the
landline.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2019 20:35, ARW wrote:
On 14/11/2019 20:24, Martin Brown wrote:

We were quite lucky - places either side of us got a lot more rain and
to the south are still on national news with catastrophic flooding.

I'll class myself as lucky as my house has not (and probably could not)
flood.

Hopefully you are right, but I remember driving through Cumbria when I
saw a flood sign on the road. I laughed to myself as I was way up a
hill. A moment later I encountered a small river running over the road!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 21:08:39 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

Hopefully you are right, but I remember driving through Cumbria when I
saw a flood sign on the road. I laughed to myself as I was way up a
hill. A moment later I encountered a small river running over the road!

Lucky it was only a small river, Worse is the small river and several
inches of marbles. Coming home late one night after it had been
chucking it down all day, the bottom of Killhope in County Durham had
a couple of council chaps with shovels and brush trying to clear 6"
of marbles off about 20 yards road, they could have really used a
front loader.

The wise remember where water does run across the road as it washes
the salt away and freezes. If there is enough traffic the ice doesn't
stay where the tyres run but you can get hefty build ups of hard
frozen crushed ice where the tyres don't run. Not enough traffic and
you get an ice rink...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2019 19:09, alan_m wrote:
On 14/11/2019 18:20, Andrew wrote:

Or get someone to phone your landline number. The 50V from
the exchange will do the same.

I've found that ringing my own number from my mobile provides a
temporary cure (for a few hours) for a noisy line on the occasions when
I've had to report this kind of fault that kills the speed on my broadband.

I suspect using a Megger on the BT copper will kill the broadband
kit in the green box quite effectively.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2019 20:57, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARW explained :
Not killed an apprentice yet by asking them to hold the ends of a
cable I am testing.

Then you are not trying hard enough.

The best result is obtained by meggering them when they are on top of a
ladder :-)

No good. Glassfibre ladders have spoilt that fun :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2019 20:35, ARW wrote:
On 14/11/2019 20:24, Martin Brown wrote:

We were quite lucky - places either side of us got a lot more rain and
to the south are still on national news with catastrophic flooding.

I'll class myself as lucky as my house has not (and probably could not)
flood.

I now have to set off to work 30 minutes earlier than normal to get to
work on time, getting home normally take 45 to 50 minutes, it now takes
up to 2 hours.

No flooding down 'South, that I am aware of.

The floodplain to the south of my village has not flooded. River
was quite full at high tide but that's it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I can now barely achieve 1Mbps download speed. Every three hours or so...

The rest of the time nothing.

Vote Labour they are going to give everyone Free full-fibre broadband
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

LOL

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well they should not be so cheapskate as to try to put hf signals down a
tatty old bit of copper wire which has probably been there for over 15 years
since anyone checked for corrosion or loose terminals.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 14/11/2019 18:20, Andrew wrote:

Or get someone to phone your landline number. The 50V from
the exchange will do the same.

I've found that ringing my own number from my mobile provides a temporary
cure (for a few hours) for a noisy line on the occasions when I've had to

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
How do you know its got anything to do with rain?

Brian

It happens after its rained....?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 14/11/2019 20:35, ARW wrote:
On 14/11/2019 20:24, Martin Brown wrote:

We were quite lucky - places either side of us got a lot more rain and
to the south are still on national news with catastrophic flooding.

I'll class myself as lucky as my house has not (and probably could not)
flood.

I now have to set off to work 30 minutes earlier than normal to get to
work on time, getting home normally take 45 to 50 minutes, it now takes
up to 2 hours.

No flooding down 'South, that I am aware of.

The floodplain to the south of my village has not flooded. River
was quite full at high tide but that's it.

not this time, but it has happened in the past

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 19:09:08 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 14/11/2019 18:20, Andrew wrote:

Or get someone to phone your landline number. The 50V from the exchange
will do the same.

I've found that ringing my own number from my mobile provides a
temporary cure (for a few hours) for a noisy line on the occasions when
I've had to report this kind of fault that kills the speed on my
broadband.

Me too. But it doesn't work any more as I have 'line only' - no calls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Vote Labour they are going to give everyone Free full-fibre broadband
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

LOL

And petrol will go up to £5 a litre to pay for it.

In fact, any tax that can be said to reduce carbon emissions
will be a target.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/11/2019 18:20, Andrew wrote:

Or get someone to phone your landline number. The 50V from
the exchange will do the same.

I've found that ringing my own number from my mobile provides a
temporary cure (for a few hours) for a noisy line on the occasions when
I've had to report this kind of fault that kills the speed on my broadband.

Neat idea: I get the same problem and I'd never thought of that.
Nobody ever calls me on my landline these days.

BTDT this time didnt work. Its really really nasty. Sometimes wont even
recognise dial tones

Thanks,

Nick

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2019 08:35, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 14/11/2019 20:35, ARW wrote:
On 14/11/2019 20:24, Martin Brown wrote:

We were quite lucky - places either side of us got a lot more rain and
to the south are still on national news with catastrophic flooding.

I'll class myself as lucky as my house has not (and probably could not)
flood.

I now have to set off to work 30 minutes earlier than normal to get to
work on time, getting home normally take 45 to 50 minutes, it now takes
up to 2 hours.

No flooding down 'South, that I am aware of.

The floodplain to the south of my village has not flooded. River
was quite full at high tide but that's it.

not this time, but it has happened in the past

Usually happens at least once per year, but apart from a few long
back gardens with river frontage, and some flooded basements, no-one
is badly affected. 2013-14 was bad, but 1968 was much worse (so I am
told by the locals who were here at the time).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2019 12:11, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

Vote Labour they are going to give everyone Free full-fibre broadband
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

LOL

And petrol will go up to £5 a litre to pay for it.

And BT will lose £5 billion in income so what will phone rental
charges and calls costs increase by to compensate ?.

How much compo will they have to pay out to Virgin, Colt and others
whose businesses will be annihilated ?

In fact, any tax that can be said to reduce carbon emissions
will be a target.

Like Browns carbon tax on nuclear generators ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2019 08:06, Jimk wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
How do you know its got anything to do with rain?

Brian

It happens after its rained....?

Could have been someone in a tractor or 4WD missing the
flooded raod and driving along a verge where the cables
are not buried deep enough. Sometimes that movement of a buried
cable is all it takes. Has occurred at least half a dozen times
on my estate when delivery or skip wagons drive over the
grass verges during wet weather.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:04:58 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Wannabe totalitarian regimes need to seize control of

communications to
publish disinformation, propaganda and censor everything else.

You need to think harder about what Openreach actually does.

I think that's the point, at least up to the word "communications".
Openreach carry the vast majority of the UK's communications, very
easy to sniff what's going where, who's communicating with who...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:04:58 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Wannabe totalitarian regimes need to seize control of

communications to
publish disinformation, propaganda and censor everything else.

You need to think harder about what Openreach actually does.

I think that's the point, at least up to the word "communications".
Openreach carry the vast majority of the UK's communications, very
easy to sniff what's going where, who's communicating with who...

Have you forgotten that the ISPs are already keeping this for the
intelligence services? A bit pointless doing it again at a lower
protocol level.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2019 23:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:04:58 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Wannabe totalitarian regimes need to seize control of

communications to
publish disinformation, propaganda and censor everything else.

You need to think harder about what Openreach actually does.

I think that's the point, at least up to the word "communications".
Openreach carry the vast majority of the UK's communications, very
easy to sniff what's going where, who's communicating with who...

Not that easy.

Most traffic is now going encrypted.

And owning the fibres doesnt necessarily mean you own what they connect
to. Fibre tapping is very hard to do invisibly.

However we all know its nonsense. Apart from the brexit party none of
the others will honour their manifestos in the unlikely event they get
to power.

The Labour party has support from wealthy middle class 'woke'
professionals in the public sector, who want world government, and the
terminally stupid who actually believe Jeremy Corbyn.

Frankly, faced with Corbyn, half of the normal lefty lot will vote for
'Tits' Mc Swinedottir on the basis that she reminds them of a barmaid
they had a one night fling with.

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2019 01:13, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:04:58 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Wannabe totalitarian regimes need to seize control of

communications to
publish disinformation, propaganda and censor everything else.

You need to think harder about what Openreach actually does.

I think that's the point, at least up to the word "communications".
Openreach carry the vast majority of the UK's communications, very
easy to sniff what's going where, who's communicating with who...

Have you forgotten that the ISPs are already keeping this for the
intelligence services? A bit pointless doing it again at a lower
protocol level.

Indeed.

This 'ere Usenet is the way to go. Innocuouss messages about plumbing
with secret encrypted messages: Spam from the usual suspects with coded
messages to the brethren

Online games where players can exchange codes...

It's all happening! Everywhere!. Except on twitter and faeces book.

I stayed with an old friend last W/E. Couldnt get I-player to work.
"That's my VPN: It thinks we are somewhere in the USA"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ohmigawd. Gimme a modem someone!

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/rain.png

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not that easy.

Most traffic is now going encrypted.

That doesn't hide who you are connecting to. A journalist parodied it
like this: "We know you called the VD clinic, your doctor, then your
life insurance company. But we have no idea what you were discussing"

Andy
--
No, sorry, I don't know who...

Rain, rain go away. Water in basement cln Home Repair 9 December 16th 11 04:59 PM
Rain m Ransley Home Repair 24 July 7th 04 03:57 AM
Servis Rain Wave 1100 - stops during spin cycle Bruce UK diy 1 January 30th 04 01:46 AM
rain and deck sealer Dan-o Home Repair 0 July 1st 03 12:11 PM
Sealing the deck ... waiting for the rain to end Karen Home Repair 0 June 24th 03 12:34 AM