Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker extractor hoods with remote motors

Having now decided on the WC extractor (thanks to PeterC) it's time to
tackle the next problem.
My cooker is set into what was once the kitchen fireplace. To reduce
noise in the kitchen I plan to fit a S/S box (about 1100 x 300), with
appropriate filters, in the space above the cooker and to extract
(horizontally) through the side chimney breast and a 90 degree bend,
then through the wall to the outside world. The ducting run would be 1-2
metres and there are no neighbours to worry about.
It would be great to hear from anyone who has done something similar.
The decisions are whether to have an externally-mounted fan or an
in-line fan, where to buy, and whether the S/S plenum is available or
whether it needs to be bespoke. Google has turned-up a few possible
candidates but opinions based on personal experience are always useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2019 19:50, wrote:
Having now decided on the WC extractor (thanks to PeterC) it's time to
tackle the next problem.
My cooker is set into what was once the kitchen fireplace. To reduce
noise in the kitchen I plan to fit a S/S box (about 1100 x 300), with
appropriate filters, in the space above the cooker and to extract
(horizontally) through the side chimney breast and a 90 degree bend,
then through the wall to the outside world. The ducting run would be 1-2
metres and there are no neighbours to worry about.
It would be great to hear from anyone who has done something similar.
The decisions are whether to have an externally-mounted fan or an
in-line fan, where to buy, and whether the S/S plenum is available or
whether it needs to be bespoke. Google has turned-up a few possible
candidates but opinions based on personal experience are always useful.

I used an Elicia ? fan designed for external mounting , this came with
the standard canopy/filters/lights and switches which were installed
above the cooker in the kitchen fireplace.
I mounted the fan in the chimneyflue at 1st floor level accessing the
flue through the redundant bedroom/study fireplace. Ducting, 6", below
and above the fan. I used quite a lot of sound insulation around the fan
on the mounting plate and on the access hatch in the fireplace.
Worked very well, flow rates were very high and noise levels low in the
kitchen and very low in the study.
The house was Georgian with large flues which made it relatively easy to do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2019 20:29, Robert wrote:
On 05/11/2019 19:50, wrote:
[...]

Worked very well, flow rates were very high and noise levels lowÂ* in the
kitchen and very low in the study.
The house was Georgian with large flues which made it relatively easy to
do.

Thanks, that's very interesting. The nearest name I can find is Elica,
but they don't seem to list an external fan. Do you have any more info
on the one you found?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 19:50:40 +0000, nothanks wrote:

Having now decided on the WC extractor (thanks to PeterC) it's time to
tackle the next problem.
My cooker is set into what was once the kitchen fireplace. To reduce
noise in the kitchen I plan to fit a S/S box (about 1100 x 300), with
appropriate filters, in the space above the cooker and to extract
(horizontally) through the side chimney breast and a 90 degree bend,
then through the wall to the outside world. The ducting run would be 1-2
metres and there are no neighbours to worry about.
It would be great to hear from anyone who has done something similar.
The decisions are whether to have an externally-mounted fan or an
in-line fan, where to buy, and whether the S/S plenum is available or
whether it needs to be bespoke. Google has turned-up a few possible
candidates but opinions based on personal experience are always useful.

I installed an extractor over the cooking area with two vents in the
ceiling and a remote extractor which vented to the outside.

I have an "extractor bay" in the ceiling of the downstairs wet room with
extractors for the kitchen, wet room, and a failed experiment to move hot
air from the back of the house to the front.

The ceiling extractor works well, but is very rarely needed as the wall
mounted cooker hood seems to cope with most things.

It helps that there are steels which go across and along in a T shape
which make the ceiling of the kitchen area in the open plan room into a
massive cooker hood.

Co-axial fans which look quite like an American football.

So the ducting is probably similar but no stainless steel box.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ELB60RM.html
52cm ELIBLOC9 Built In/Under Hood Grey with External Motor Unit
I removed the fan unit from the nice external housing, which is now used
as a heat shield when soldering , and made my own mounting plate up
using heavy ply.
I seem to remember that having an external fan also meant that the
canopy/hood, which is not as high as the with fan units , was easier to
fit above the cooker in the limited chimney space while providing the
minimum clearance above the gas hob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

52cm ELIBLOC9Â* Built In/Under Hood GreyÂ* with External Motor Unit
I removed the fan unit from the nice external housing, which is now used
as a heat shield when soldering , and made my own mounting plate up
using heavy ply.
I seem to remember that having an external fan also meant that the
canopy/hood, which is not as high as the with fan units , was easier to
fit above the cooker in the limited chimney space while providing the
minimum clearance above the gas hob.

Thanks again. I need something in the 90-120cm range so, unfortunately,
that particular model is too small and the larger one has been
discontinued. Other makes are ridiculously expensive (who would spend
over £1k on an extractor?) but a search around eBay gave me some ideas
for a custom DIY solution if I can't find something suitable off-the-peg
at a sensible price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Pity about the larger sizes , I used the 75cm one. However if the
fireplace is quite deep and high you would probably find the smaller
unit perfectly adequate, with the enclosed fireplace acting a bit like a
hood. You may be able to "box" the top front in a bit with a mantleshelf.
Another option is to get a cheap canopy , remove the fan motor and use a
duct fan at the end of the ducting. You sometimes get damaged units on
eBay. Good Luck
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We wanted a ceiling extractor and did quite a bit of research and these people were the cheapest by far. I am just in the process of installing it so cannot comment on durability and function, domestic management is happy with the way it looks!

Only niggle so far is the use of some of the tiniest securing screws available plus it is heavy and I needed to construct a support framework to help get it into position.

https://www.myappliances.co.uk/cat/c...xtractor-hoods

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 10:24:37 AM UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
We wanted a ceiling extractor and did quite a bit of research and these people were the cheapest by far. I am just in the process of installing it so cannot comment on durability and function, domestic management is happy with the way it looks!

Only niggle so far is the use of some of the tiniest securing screws available plus it is heavy and I needed to construct a support framework to help get it into position.

https://www.myappliances.co.uk/cat/c...xtractor-hoods

Richard

The bakery industry uses a lot of these so perhaps a trawl through website that handle disposal of bakery equipment might turn up something.

We us Miele extractor hood and don't find it noisy. To get satisfactory extraction I had to route the trunking out through a boiler house Metal trunkimh obviouslu
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 11:20:57 AM UTC, wrote:
[...]

Sorry hit publish too soon. My keyboarding skills are minimal

I also wanted to say I used 150mm trunking as advised by Miele. Most 100mm trunking, especially the flexible type, is not great in my experience. We find the extractor really excellent and I think part of that is down to the 150mm trunking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

hood. You may be able to "box" theÂ* top front in a bit with a mantleshelf.

Another option is to get a cheap canopy , remove the fan motor and use a
duct fan at the end of the ducting. You sometimes get damaged units on
eBay.

I think you've been reading my mind ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Exactly what I did when the motor packed up on mine. Ditched the
motor & fan, wired the hood switch to the new remote fan, kept
the switch & power to the hood lights.

New inline fan off eBay iirc 40 quid, mounted mid way along the
duct in my case, very quiet as in next store room to hood, very
good extract rate.

Only thing I couldn't be arsed working out was how the 3 speed
controller on the hood worked - to see if I could use that with
the new fan -but I just have it set to "on" or "off" & it's so
quiet it doesn't really matter, it just works.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It should be easy enough. Our cooker hood just consists of a casing
which holds a filter on a drop down panel and inside is a plastic
moulded fan housing (exhausting through either the top or the back
depending where you put the flange and the blanking plate), the motor
and a light. Remove that and add an LED lamp and you'd have a filter
housing ready for connection to a duct and in-line fan.

SteveW