Me

Default Cooker Hoods

Hi

About to install a new kitchen. I want to install a "canopy" cooker hood extracting to the
outside. This means that the ducting would need to come off the hood top, rise vertically then
have a 90deg bend and run horizontally for about 1.5m (including through the kitchen wall), then
another 90deg bend and through the outhouse wall, with a suitable grille.

Help wanted....
1. Can I gen a hood that has no fan, just the filters and lights and put a centrifugal fan
towards the outside end of the ducting or a suitable fan built into the outer-end of the ducting
2. General advice please on duct sizes and fan specs? (I'm assuming a 6" flexible metal
duct)
3. Anything building regs to watch for?

--

Regards
John

Brian S Gray

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:54:10 +0100, "Me"
wrote:

Hi

About to install a new kitchen. I want to install a "canopy" cooker hood extracting to the
outside. This means that the ducting would need to come off the hood top, rise vertically then
have a 90deg bend and run horizontally for about 1.5m (including through the kitchen wall), then
another 90deg bend and through the outhouse wall, with a suitable grille.

Help wanted....
1. Can I gen a hood that has no fan, just the filters and lights and put a centrifugal fan
towards the outside end of the ducting or a suitable fan built into the outer-end of the ducting
2. General advice please on duct sizes and fan specs? (I'm assuming a 6" flexible metal
duct)
3. Anything building regs to watch for?

As I said to someone else recently in connection with a bathroom, I
suggest you download the zipped ducting.pdf from
www.domusventilation.com which is both a parts list with prices and a
user guide to help work out your requirements. I ended up buying one
of their kits (through a local builders merchants) for large
cross-section ductring for our new cooker hood - a flexible vertical
round section connected to horizontal rectangular ducting plus grill
and flap valve.
Richard Savage

Me wrote:

[...]

De Dietrich have (IIRC) two extraction units that are suitable for exterior mounting and a number of
empty hoods that can be used with the extractors.

Rdgs Richard

Me

"Brian S Gray" wrote in message
| On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:54:10 +0100, "Me"
| wrote:
|
| Hi
|
| About to install a new kitchen. I want to install a "canopy" cooker hood extracting to the
| outside. This means that the ducting would need to come off the hood top, rise vertically
then
| have a 90deg bend and run horizontally for about 1.5m (including through the kitchen wall),
then
| another 90deg bend and through the outhouse wall, with a suitable grille.
|
| Help wanted....
| 1. Can I gen a hood that has no fan, just the filters and lights and put a centrifugal fan
| towards the outside end of the ducting or a suitable fan built into the outer-end of the
ducting
| 2. General advice please on duct sizes and fan specs? (I'm assuming a 6" flexible metal
| duct)
| 3. Anything building regs to watch for?
| As I said to someone else recently in connection with a bathroom, I
| suggest you download the zipped ducting.pdf from
| www.domusventilation.com which is both a parts list with prices and a
| user guide to help work out your requirements. I ended up buying one
| of their kits (through a local builders merchants) for large
| cross-section ductring for our new cooker hood - a flexible vertical
| round section connected to horizontal rectangular ducting plus grill
| and flap valve.

Brian

Thanks for this. Looks like I'm facing 110Pa at 60l/sed. Now if all the hood manufacturers put
their flow characteistic graphs on the web, life would be much easier. As it is, seems only
Xpelair have graphs.

Thanks
John

Cooker wiring Jaime UK diy 23 July 29th 03 03:50 PM
Putting range cooker inside a fireplace Christian McArdle UK diy 1 July 21st 03 09:09 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM
Fitted cooker fitting. BigWallop UK diy 2 July 17th 03 07:30 PM