Tom

Default Cooker extractor Hoods and kitchen ventilation?

Any experiences (good or bad) out there with cooker hoods?
I don't like recirc models, It will have to extract vertically through roof
of bungalow.
Hob is Induction 4 ring .

What should the extraction rate be?
Any recommendations re Make & Model.?
Filters single/double /grease/carbon /metal?
Outlet size100mm / 150mm?
Tips on kitchen ventilation and extraction generally, should I try and
create negative pressure in kitchen?

I would be grateful for any comments on the above.
Regards
Tom

Grunff

Tom wrote:
Any experiences (good or bad) out there with cooker hoods?
I don't like recirc models, It will have to extract vertically through roof
of bungalow.
Hob is Induction 4 ring .

What should the extraction rate be?
Any recommendations re Make & Model.?
Filters single/double /grease/carbon /metal?
Outlet size100mm / 150mm?
Tips on kitchen ventilation and extraction generally, should I try and
create negative pressure in kitchen?

Just been through this. There really seems to be very little correlation
between extraction efficiency (not rate - high rate doesn't always equal
a good extractor) and brand/price.

After much digging, looking and asking, I settled on an Elica twin motor
unit with a 5" outlet. I installed this two days ago, but haven't
finished wiring it up yet.

As for the filter, if you are venting to the outside, you want as little
filter as you can get away with. Less filter == less backpressure.

--
Grunff
Mungo Henning

"Tom" wrote in message ...
Any experiences (good or bad) out there with cooker hoods?

Yup: damn essential nowadays (when I go home and don't smell
burning it's a salad :-)

I don't like recirc models, It will have to extract vertically through roof
of bungalow.

Recirculation models are naff and only help placate the conscience of those
knowing they need some extraction but not wanting to do the job proper.
No way to fit the outlet in the soffit board instead of having to go up
through the (presumed) tiled roof?
If you do go vertical you will need one of those large "buttons" to stop ingress
of rain.

Tips on kitchen ventilation and extraction generally, should I try and
create negative pressure in kitchen?

Having the oven in the same vertical column as the hob (i.e. under it) makes
for a single extraction hood. In our kitchen the oven is eye-level, hence I've
had to add another extractor into the ceiling above the oven to extract those
vapours that come out of the oven at times.

We used to get some back-draughts from the ceiling-mounted extractor when it
was windy outside and the extractor wasn't powered. I bought an in-line
back-draught shutter and fitted it to the extraction hose and this seems to
have solved that problem (just making you aware that such flap-valves are
purchasable).

For any new kitchen I would purchase a cooker hood which had a wide catchment
area. Just now the 60cm-square hood sometimes doesn't cope with lots of
vapour production such that I watch steam curl its way across the face of
the hood and some escapes up the sides.
I wonder if a true "chimney" style would improve this - some sort of two or
three inch "lip" around the perimeter of the hood so that vapours are collected
there until the extractor gets a chance to suck them out.

Just my tuppence worth.

Regards

Mungo