Posted to uk.d-i-y
robert robert is offline

Default Cooker extractor hoods with remote motors

On 05/11/2019 19:50, wrote:
Having now decided on the WC extractor (thanks to PeterC) it's time to
tackle the next problem.
My cooker is set into what was once the kitchen fireplace. To reduce
noise in the kitchen I plan to fit a S/S box (about 1100 x 300), with
appropriate filters, in the space above the cooker and to extract
(horizontally) through the side chimney breast and a 90 degree bend,
then through the wall to the outside world. The ducting run would be 1-2
metres and there are no neighbours to worry about.
It would be great to hear from anyone who has done something similar.
The decisions are whether to have an externally-mounted fan or an
in-line fan, where to buy, and whether the S/S plenum is available or
whether it needs to be bespoke. Google has turned-up a few possible
candidates but opinions based on personal experience are always useful.

I used an Elicia ? fan designed for external mounting , this came with
the standard canopy/filters/lights and switches which were installed
above the cooker in the kitchen fireplace.
I mounted the fan in the chimneyflue at 1st floor level accessing the
flue through the redundant bedroom/study fireplace. Ducting, 6", below
and above the fan. I used quite a lot of sound insulation around the fan
on the mounting plate and on the access hatch in the fireplace.
Worked very well, flow rates were very high and noise levels low in the
kitchen and very low in the study.
The house was Georgian with large flues which made it relatively easy to do.