Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Yahoo Groups to be wiped in December

EU Citizen G8OSN Brian Reay wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote:
FYI those of you (*cough*Brian*cough*) who loudly and obnoxiously insisted
that Yahoo would never close and delete Yahoo Groups on no notice:

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...r-21st/330695/

I told ya so! I hope that groups.io doesnt make the same decision anytime
soon but I will repeat my old adage again to try and shake some awareness
into you; if youre not paying for a service, youre not a customer; youre
the product. And when a product stops making its retailers money, they stop
selling it. Forewarned is forearmed.

Just because you werent aware this was happening doesnt mean there wasnt
any notice.

It has been common knowledge for some time. There may be a dead goldfish in
Sheppey that hasnt heard but you were obviously one of the last two.

Brian, its the 1st of November and youre *still* an EU Citizen.

LOL!

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

I hope you are not referring to me as I have not used Yahoo in years.

I do however know a lot of people who use Yahoo email and did wonder if
this could survive.
One of my other concerns has been the rush to not support email clients
running pop3 and imap. Certainly Gmail have been hassling me, but being not
interested in an ever changing interface, I just ignore them.

I'm sure those that are left will be carrying on.
I also have no issues with data harvesting to pay for a service, as long
as we know what it actually is gathering. I also think that if we could for
example buy email and mail list access on reasonable terms that would be
fine as long as isps like Virgin did not take the **** with their internet
access pricing. One of the main annoyances I see just now is the tv
industry all thinking they will run their own service with their own app and
their own subscription. Many people will and indeed are just hacking their
subs to services they are ****ed off with and are quite willing to wait for
shows to be older and view them either for free or much cheaper.
The golden goose is going to suffer when the eggs break.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Stephen Cole wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I hope you are not referring to me

He's clearly talking to Brian Raey given the attributions.

as I have not used Yahoo in years.

I do however know a lot of people who use Yahoo email

I do too.

and did wonder if this could survive.

Its surviving fine.

One of my other concerns has been the rush to not support email clients
running pop3 and imap. Certainly Gmail have been hassling me,

They havent been hassling me and I do use both with them.

but being not interested in an ever changing interface, I just ignore
them.

I'm sure those that are left will be carrying on.

I also have no issues with data harvesting to pay for a service, as long
as we know what it actually is gathering. I also think that if we could
for example buy email and mail list access on reasonable terms that would
be fine as long as isps like Virgin did not take the **** with their
internet access pricing. One of the main annoyances I see just now is the
tv industry all thinking they will run their own service with their own
app and their own subscription. Many people will and indeed are just
hacking their subs to services they are ****ed off with and are quite
willing to wait for shows to be older and view them either for free or
much cheaper.

otoh hardly anyone I know apart from the most desperate
povs dont have netflix or something similar.

The golden goose is going to suffer when the eggs break.

They won't break, you watch.

Stephen Cole wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
I hope you are not referring to me as I have not used Yahoo in years.

No, it was Brian Reay I was referring to. He used to use Yahoo Groups to
host his ham radio mailing list. Hed often bleat about the group in terms
of it being some kind of Thousand Year Reich so I genned him up on what
Yahoo did to GeoCities and suggested that he might consider finding a new
home for his list if he really did want it to last long-term. Of course, he
pooh-poohed the thought and insisted Yahoo would never suddenly decide to
close and delete Groups, but here we are. Luckily for him, he did actually
take my advice a short while later and made the move to Groups.io but
theres been recent suggestions that theyre clamping down on the free
mailing lists. Really, what Brian (and all mailing list owners) should be
doing is setting up their own hosted list system, its the only way to be
safe. The technology is a bit beyond Brian, though, but Id be happy to
give him some tips if he asked.

I do however know a lot of people who use Yahoo email and did wonder if
this could survive.

I would say no chance. Itll eventually be shut down, with minimal
notice. Sooner rather than later, too.

I also think that if we could for
example buy email and mail list access on reasonable terms that would be
fine as long as isps like Virgin did not take the **** with their internet
access pricing.

For email, the best bet is to buy a domain and a simple web hosting package
and run it all yourself. Neednt cost more than £10 per month.
www.briangaff.co.uk is available...

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 20:01:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I do too.

Nobody gives a **** what you do or don't do, senile cretin!

FLUSH the rest of your troll****

--