Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Yahoo Groups to be wiped in December

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I hope you are not referring to me

He's clearly talking to Brian Raey given the attributions.

as I have not used Yahoo in years.

I do however know a lot of people who use Yahoo email

I do too.

and did wonder if this could survive.

Its surviving fine.

One of my other concerns has been the rush to not support email clients
running pop3 and imap. Certainly Gmail have been hassling me,

They havent been hassling me and I do use both with them.

but being not interested in an ever changing interface, I just ignore
them.

I'm sure those that are left will be carrying on.

I also have no issues with data harvesting to pay for a service, as long
as we know what it actually is gathering. I also think that if we could
for example buy email and mail list access on reasonable terms that would
be fine as long as isps like Virgin did not take the **** with their
internet access pricing. One of the main annoyances I see just now is the
tv industry all thinking they will run their own service with their own
app and their own subscription. Many people will and indeed are just
hacking their subs to services they are ****ed off with and are quite
willing to wait for shows to be older and view them either for free or
much cheaper.

otoh hardly anyone I know apart from the most desperate
povs don’t have netflix or something similar.

The golden goose is going to suffer when the eggs break.

They won't break, you watch.

"Stephen Cole" wrote in message
EU Citizen G8OSN Brian Reay wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote:
FYI those of you (*cough*Brian*cough*) who loudly and obnoxiously
insisted
that Yahoo would never close and delete Yahoo Groups on no notice:

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...r-21st/330695/

I told ya so! I hope that groups.io doesn't make the same decision
anytime
soon but I will repeat my old adage again to try and shake some
awareness
into you; if you're not paying for a service, you're not a customer;
you're
the product. And when a product stops making its retailers money, they
stop
selling it. Forewarned is forearmed.

Just because you weren't aware this was happening doesn't mean there
wasn't
any notice.

It has been common knowledge for some time. There may be a dead goldfish
in
Sheppey that hasn't heard but you were obviously one of the last two.

Brian, it's the 1st of November and you're *still* an EU Citizen.

LOL!

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur