Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lamona Oven

My daughter said her Howdens oven has packed up after 4 years. Apparenty
the oven / grill selector switch had been very stiff - now it has failed.

I really don't feel inclined to get involved - 10 miles away - very small
kitchen - Strip it to remove part - check elements - put oven back (no
where else for it - await part - go back and fit it. Can I be arsed...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/10/2019 16:42, John wrote:
My daughter said her Howdens oven has packed up after 4 years. Apparenty
the oven / grill selector switch had been very stiff - now it has failed.

I really don't feel inclined to get involved - 10 miles away - very small
kitchen - Strip it to remove part - check elements - put oven back (no
where else for it - await part - go back and fit it. Can I be arsed...?

Well don't bother then:-)

How much is a new one?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/10/2019 16:42, John wrote:
My daughter said her Howdens oven has packed up after 4 years. Apparenty
the oven / grill selector switch had been very stiff - now it has failed.

I really don't feel inclined to get involved - 10 miles away - very small
kitchen - Strip it to remove part - check elements - put oven back (no
where else for it - await part - go back and fit it. Can I be arsed...?

If she gives you all the details, you could get the obvious spare part,
the selector switch. Then it's a single journey to fix the thing. If
you order online, you can get a full refund if it turns out to be
something else wrong.

If she buys a new oven, will she rope you in to fit it anyway?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/10/2019 19:13, GB wrote:
On 26/10/2019 16:42, John wrote:
My daughter said her Howdens oven has packed up after 4 years. Apparenty
the oven / grill selector switch had been very stiff - now it has failed.

I really don't feel inclined to get involved - 10 miles away - very small
kitchen - Strip it to remove part - check elements - put oven back (no
where else for it - await part - go back and fit it.Â* Can I be arsed...?

If she gives you all the details, you could get the obvious spare part,
the selector switch.Â* Then it's a single journey to fix the thing. If
you order online, you can get a full refund if it turns out to be
something else wrong.

If she buys a new oven, will she rope you in to fit it anyway?

Someone is going to end up in a **** retirement home when their daughter
chooses one.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 26/10/2019 19:13, GB wrote:
On 26/10/2019 16:42, John wrote:
My daughter said her Howdens oven has packed up after 4 years.
Apparenty the oven / grill selector switch had been very stiff - now
it has failed.

I really don't feel inclined to get involved - 10 miles away - very
small kitchen - Strip it to remove part - check elements - put oven
back (no where else for it - await part - go back and fit it. Can I
be arsed...?

If she gives you all the details, you could get the obvious spare
part, the selector switch. Then it's a single journey to fix the
thing. If you order online, you can get a full refund if it turns out
to be something else wrong.

If she buys a new oven, will she rope you in to fit it anyway?

Someone is going to end up in a **** retirement home when their daughter
chooses one.

;-)

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/10/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Only 10 miles, blimey.
Are you walking to her or what?
Brian

10 miles away in London can mean an hour's drive. There can be a lot of
BIWs.

A BIW is a bugger in the way. There's basically two types of traffic:
buggers in the way and buggers chasing you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 27/10/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Only 10 miles, blimey.
Are you walking to her or what?
Brian

10 miles away in London can mean an hour's drive. There can be a lot of
BIWs.

A BIW is a bugger in the way. There's basically two types of traffic:
buggers in the way and buggers chasing you.

I thought all the buggers where roman catholic priests
and that they can't even recruit enough of them anymore ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 06:01:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I thought

No intelligent person gives a **** what you "thought" or didn't "think", you
abnormal, nym-shifting senile cretin!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/10/2019 18:18, GB wrote:
On 27/10/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Only 10 miles, blimey.
Â* Are you walking to her or what?
Â* Brian

10 miles away in London can mean an hour's drive. There can be a lot of
BIWs.

A BIW is a bugger in the way. There's basically two types of traffic:
buggers in the way and buggers chasing you.

There is no law saying you have to live in London.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 26/10/2019 19:13, GB wrote:
On 26/10/2019 16:42, John wrote:
My daughter said her Howdens oven has packed up after 4 years.
Apparenty the oven / grill selector switch had been very stiff -
now it has failed.

I really don't feel inclined to get involved - 10 miles away -
very small kitchen - Strip it to remove part - check elements -
put oven back (no where else for it - await part - go back and fit
it. Can I be arsed...?

If she gives you all the details, you could get the obvious spare
part, the selector switch. Then it's a single journey to fix the
thing. If you order online, you can get a full refund if it turns
out to be something else wrong.

If she buys a new oven, will she rope you in to fit it anyway?

Someone is going to end up in a **** retirement home when their
daughter chooses one.

;-)

You win! She is going to remove it and bring it round! I hate working
there - it is cramped - I don't have access to the tools I really needed
and I would have to keep putting it back into its housing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/10/2019 20:41, ARW wrote:
On 27/10/2019 18:18, GB wrote:
On 27/10/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Only 10 miles, blimey.
Â* Are you walking to her or what?
Â* Brian

10 miles away in London can mean an hour's drive. There can be a lot
of BIWs.

A BIW is a bugger in the way. There's basically two types of traffic:
buggers in the way and buggers chasing you.

There is no law saying you have to live in London.

I'd move out in a heartbeat, but my dearly beloved wife would not. I've
always liked Yorkshire, actually.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 27/10/2019 20:41, ARW wrote:
On 27/10/2019 18:18, GB wrote:
On 27/10/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Only 10 miles, blimey.
Are you walking to her or what?
Brian

10 miles away in London can mean an hour's drive. There can be a lot of
BIWs.

A BIW is a bugger in the way. There's basically two types of traffic:
buggers in the way and buggers chasing you.

There is no law saying you have to live in London.

I'd move out in a heartbeat, but my dearly beloved wife would not. I've
always liked Yorkshire, actually.

Any city has BIWs - and some have BIWWTTOTRs (*). So Leeds, Bradford,
Huddersfield, Wakefield, York, Harrogate are as bad as London - just not as
extensive.

Out in rural Yorkshire (and yes, our scenery is stunning) the problem is
TIWs (tractors in the way). And there has been a dramatic increase in
tractors that are not just used on and around a farm, but for pulling
trailers for long distances (tens of miles) - a job that really should be
done by a proper road-going lorry, capable of approaching the speed limit.

(*) Buggers in the way who think they own the road ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote in
2.222:

My daughter said her Howdens oven has packed up after 4 years.
Apparenty the oven / grill selector switch had been very stiff - now
it has failed.

I really don't feel inclined to get involved - 10 miles away - very
small kitchen - Strip it to remove part - check elements - put oven
back (no where else for it - await part - go back and fit it. Can I
be arsed...?

Back to the oven! Apparently the fan would always run and they would switch
it off at the mains after allowing it to cool.

Anyway I have ordered a new selector switch - it had suffered from burned
contact and eventually had fallen apart.

Investigating the fan - I got it to stop by disconnecting a thermal switch
in the top of the oven. Checked the device and is in Normally Closed. I
think it is a thermal protection switch - the same as the one in the back
of the oven. Assembly error?

However, on EBayI cannot find a fan thermostat for the Lamona LAM3401.Other
models have a 70c cutout. The instructions make reference to the fan
stopping when cooling is complete. (Apparently it never did)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 27/10/2019 20:41, ARW wrote:
On 27/10/2019 18:18, GB wrote:
On 27/10/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Only 10 miles, blimey.
Are you walking to her or what?
Brian

10 miles away in London can mean an hour's drive. There can be a lot of
BIWs.

A BIW is a bugger in the way. There's basically two types of traffic:
buggers in the way and buggers chasing you.

There is no law saying you have to live in London.

I'd move out in a heartbeat, but my dearly beloved wife would not. I've
always liked Yorkshire, actually.

Trouble is that they dont speak english so you would
need a smartphone and google translate on it.

Still doesnt do gobbledegook tho so still
a problem with Dave the Sot and the turnip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 04:15:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I'd move out in a heartbeat, but my dearly beloved wife would not. I've
always liked Yorkshire, actually.

Trouble is

The trouble here is that you are an abnormal trolling piece of senile ****
that gets up every night between 1 and 4 am, just so you have someone to
talk to on Usenet, as everyone in real life obviously avoids you
self-opinionated, self-important, cantankerous, senile pest!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/10/2019 17:02, John wrote:
The instructions make reference to the fan
stopping when cooling is complete. (Apparently it never did)

That makes me groan. Why, in heaven's name, did they not raise the issue
when the oven was new? And, if they could live with it happily for 4
years, why are you bothering to improve the situation now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote in :

On 28/10/2019 17:02, John wrote:
The instructions make reference to the fan
stopping when cooling is complete. (Apparently it never did)

That makes me groan. Why, in heaven's name, did they not raise the issue
when the oven was new? And, if they could live with it happily for 4
years, why are you bothering to improve the situation now?

One of these is in series with the contols cooling fan.

I don't believe it to be a thermostat - surely it is a cut-out.

It is normally closed - cant be right.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182268907324
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/10/2019 20:25, John wrote:
GB wrote in :

On 28/10/2019 17:02, John wrote:
The instructions make reference to the fan
stopping when cooling is complete. (Apparently it never did)

That makes me groan. Why, in heaven's name, did they not raise the issue
when the oven was new? And, if they could live with it happily for 4
years, why are you bothering to improve the situation now?

One of these is in series with the contols cooling fan.

I don't believe it to be a thermostat - surely it is a cut-out.

It is normally closed - cant be right.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182268907324

That looks like an over heat protection device.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote in news:1q%tF.21933$X82.19343
@fx16.am4:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182268907324

I have bought one (for a different model) that claims to be a Cooling Fan
Thermal cut out. (Normally Open when below 70c)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

ARW wrote in news:1q%tF.21933$X82.19343
@fx16.am4:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182268907324

I have bought one (for a different model) that claims to be a Cooling Fan
Thermal cut out. (Normally Open when below 70c)

A rather confusing name for a thermostatic switch to turn the fan on!

--

Roger Hayter