T i m

Default 3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

Hi All,

My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

I know it would actually 'work' and I'm happy that some green / yellow
sleeving over say the yellow phase would make the earth wire clear,
some black heatsrink over the blue would sort the neutral and the red
is ok anyway?

I just wondered what the rules said?

All the best ..

T i m
Lurch

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:51:55 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

I know it would actually 'work' and I'm happy that some green / yellow
sleeving over say the yellow phase would make the earth wire clear,
some black heatsrink over the blue would sort the neutral and the red
is ok anyway?

I just wondered what the rules said?

That's exactly how you do it. For future reference that's the colours
3 core SWA come's in, you don't get single or three phase wiring, it's
all the same.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

p.s. When are we going over the blue / brown for fixed wiring .?

Have a look around here,

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/cablecolfaq.cfm#Q4

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

Hope so. This is what the leccy board used to feed my meter from the
riser. ;-)

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

T i m

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:39:09 GMT, (Lurch)
wrote:

p.s. When are we going over the blue / brown for fixed wiring .?

Have a look around here,

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/cablecolfaq.cfm#Q4

[T] Hmm, so, I've got until 1 April, 2006 to get this cable in .. ;-)

Thanks muchly again ..

T i m

So, rather than making 3 phase AND twin and external wire / armour
earth they use 3 phase for both and only need to make . stock one type
....?
Lurch

So, rather than making 3 phase AND twin and external wire / armour
earth they use 3 phase for both and only need to make . stock one type
...?

Pretty much, it's a supply and demand thing. If they only made half as
much of each colour combination it would theoretically cost twice as
much.
You can get allsorts of cables and accessories for electrical, (and
plumbing), that get you out of tricky situations but they're
overpriced and little used so no-one stocks them. So it's the make-do
this way method then!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Harry Bloomfield

On 24/02/2004 T i m opined:-
My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

Not a problem providing the markings are perfectly clear and
unabiguous.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

T i m

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:29:26 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

On 24/02/2004 T i m opined:-
My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

Not a problem providing the markings are perfectly clear and
unabiguous.

[T] Hi Harry,

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Isn't there something about leads for portable appliances where they
can use whatever coloured wire they choose as long as the plugs are
moulded on each end?

All the best ..

T i m

Lurch

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

The same would apply for using a twin and earth as a feed and
switchwire, the black will be live. I think yoou're meant to check
what the cable does *before* you start chopping it up and connecting
things to it.

Isn't there something about leads for portable appliances where they
can use whatever coloured wire they choose as long as the plugs are
moulded on each end?

Have to say I've not heard of that one, logically though if you cut
the plug off a lead you would want the correct colours there to be
able to wire up a new one. But then again, some things defy logic!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Christian McArdle

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Nah. Everyone uses red-live, blue-neutral and yellow-earth if it is for
earthed single phase supply. You definitely must sleeve the ends, though.

Christian.

T i m

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:49:44 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Nah. Everyone uses red-live, blue-neutral and yellow-earth if it is for
earthed single phase supply. You definitely must sleeve the ends, though.

[T] Thanks for that .. I would have done anyway, just wondered if it
was *ok* to simply re-mark it.

All the best ..

T i m
Zymurgy

T i m wrote
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Nah. Everyone uses red-live, blue-neutral and yellow-earth if it is for
earthed single phase supply. You definitely must sleeve the ends, though.

[T] Thanks for that .. I would have done anyway, just wondered if it
was *ok* to simply re-mark it.

It's ok, if someone breaks into the middle, there'll just be a big "bang" ;-)

HTH

Paul.

three phase separation drifter UK diy 8 February 6th 04 09:20 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 10 October 29th 03 01:27 AM
Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply? Pandora UK diy 32 October 5th 03 02:33 AM
Playing with meter tails Sparks UK diy 19 September 28th 03 05:53 PM