drifter

Default three phase separation

What are the rules re phase separation of the different phases on a 3
phase supply? Something like 6ft comes to mind from yonks ago, but
more precise info eludes me & where is it in the iee regs?

There is a 3 phase supply here (prev used for heating, now only 1
phase used for the main house supply) and I'm wondering whether one of
the unused phases could be used for the workshop/garage. One specific
question is how near may 13amp sockets in the house be to ones in the
workshop - especially if extension leads are used.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
drifter wrote:
One specific question is how near may 13amp sockets in the house be to
ones in the workshop - especially if extension leads are used.

I don't think you can allow for extension leads in this calculation -
adjacent houses are usually on different phases.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
MrCheerful

"drifter" wrote in message
om...
What are the rules re phase separation of the different phases on a 3
phase supply? Something like 6ft comes to mind from yonks ago, but
more precise info eludes me & where is it in the iee regs?

There is a 3 phase supply here (prev used for heating, now only 1
phase used for the main house supply) and I'm wondering whether one of
the unused phases could be used for the workshop/garage. One specific
question is how near may 13amp sockets in the house be to ones in the
workshop - especially if extension leads are used.

I have three phase at home. The install requirements are that a normal
person cannot touch two different phase fixed sockets or whatever.
Obviously a three phase socket does have all phases together, but there you
would expect a 440 volt belt.
As to extension leads, they are irrelevant.

My recommendation is keep the whole house on one phase. My installation,
the electric board insisted that I use the phases equally in the house.

Put three phase into the garage/workshop as three phase equipment is
cheaper, more powerful and more reliable.

In twenty years I have only once had a problem which was when one phase
disappeared, the compressor kicked in and promptly burnt out the motor (no
proper contactor - my fault)

MrCheerful

BigWallop

"drifter" wrote in message
om...
What are the rules re phase separation of the different phases on a 3
phase supply? Something like 6ft comes to mind from yonks ago, but
more precise info eludes me & where is it in the iee regs?

There is a 3 phase supply here (prev used for heating, now only 1
phase used for the main house supply) and I'm wondering whether one of
the unused phases could be used for the workshop/garage. One specific
question is how near may 13amp sockets in the house be to ones in the
workshop - especially if extension leads are used.

Do you still have the 3-phase meter connected to the supply head ?

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

drifter

"MrCheerful" wrote in message ...

What are the rules re phase separation of the different phases on a 3
phase supply?

many thanks for the replies, very helpful.... but a little more advice
would be most appreciated:

snip

I have three phase at home. The install requirements are that a normal
person cannot touch two different phase fixed sockets or whatever.

so that's the 6ft I recall...

It now looks rather like light switches & fittings might be the
trickiest part so far as the regs are concerned (rather than trailing
ext leads). Does it mean (as it appears to) that as you switch off
the light & leave one phase zone, the light switch for the next zone
must be out of reach? Or aren't light switches etc counted the same
as sockets for this purpose?

Please, where exactly in the IEE regs is the separation requirement
stated? or is it in the suppliers conditions of service or somewhere
else? OSG is simply single phase - is there something about it in any
of the other IEE guides?

snip
Put three phase into the garage/workshop as three phase equipment is
cheaper, more powerful and more reliable.

that's the arrangement I'm mulling over
once again many thanks,

Martin Angove

In message ,
(drifter) wrote:

"MrCheerful" wrote in message ...

What are the rules re phase separation of the different phases on a 3
phase supply?

many thanks for the replies, very helpful.... but a little more advice
would be most appreciated:

snip

I have three phase at home. The install requirements are that a normal
person cannot touch two different phase fixed sockets or whatever.

so that's the 6ft I recall...

Just for information, at the place where I used to work, the reception
had several 13A doubles on the wall, separated by 6ft or so, but stamped
in red with a phrase something like "CAUTION - 415V BETWEEN ADJACENT
SOCKETS".

[...]

Please, where exactly in the IEE regs is the separation requirement
stated? or is it in the suppliers conditions of service or somewhere
else? OSG is simply single phase - is there something about it in any
of the other IEE guides?

The closest I've come is 514-10-01 which basically says that if someone
(might) have simultaneous access to live parts with 230V between them
then there should be warning notices. I suspect that this is what the
labelled sockets I mentioned were trying to do - either in case someone
was operating equipment or was working on the sockets live. In this
circumstance as well, it might be assumed by someone not knowing the
system that sockets in the same (smallish) area would be fed by the same
circuit. As was the case, this was not so, and two or more breakers
would have to be tripped to isolate all the sockets.

HTH

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove:
http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Tim Mitchell

In article , drifter
writes
"MrCheerful" wrote in message

I have three phase at home. The install requirements are that a normal
person cannot touch two different phase fixed sockets or whatever.

Please, where exactly in the IEE regs is the separation requirement
stated? or is it in the suppliers conditions of service or somewhere
else? OSG is simply single phase - is there something about it in any
of the other IEE guides?

I believe that it is no longer in the current IEE regs. Some HSE
documents, I can't remember which, have recommendations for specific
situations (theatrical lighting is one which comes to mind).

However, it obviously makes sense to keep the separation if you can,
even though the chance of a phase-to-phase shock from two separate
appliances is pretty low.
--
Tim Mitchell
Steven Briggs

In message , drifter
writes
so that's the 6ft I recall...

It now looks rather like light switches & fittings might be the
trickiest part so far as the regs are concerned (rather than trailing
ext leads). Does it mean (as it appears to) that as you switch off
the light & leave one phase zone, the light switch for the next zone
must be out of reach? Or aren't light switches etc counted the same
as sockets for this purpose?

No, switches don't count.
Think of most office / factory situations, adjacent rows of lights are
likely to be on different phases, but all the switches are together,
either as a grid switch, a 3ph distribution panel.

Please, where exactly in the IEE regs is the separation requirement
stated? or is it in the suppliers conditions of service or somewhere
else? OSG is simply single phase - is there something about it in any
of the other IEE guides?

As above I also remember the 6ft rule, from where I don't know, as I
don't recall anything other than the requirements for warning labels in
the regs, and its only 3 weeks since I did the exam!

--
Steve

lighting circuit help Nick UK diy 18 February 1st 04 07:44 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 10 October 29th 03 01:27 AM
12 KVA Fisher Panda genset and 10kw 3 phase electric motor Rob UK diy 6 October 6th 03 10:57 PM
Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply? Pandora UK diy 32 October 5th 03 02:33 AM
Three phase installation ....? Nicholas UK diy 3 September 1st 03 09:44 AM