DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   3 phase armoured used for single phase supply? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/6403-3-phase-armoured-used-single-phase-supply.html)

T i m February 24th 04 12:51 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

Hi All,

My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

I know it would actually 'work' and I'm happy that some green / yellow
sleeving over say the yellow phase would make the earth wire clear,
some black heatsrink over the blue would sort the neutral and the red
is ok anyway?

I just wondered what the rules said?

All the best ..

T i m

Lurch February 24th 04 01:24 PM

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:51:55 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

I know it would actually 'work' and I'm happy that some green / yellow
sleeving over say the yellow phase would make the earth wire clear,
some black heatsrink over the blue would sort the neutral and the red
is ok anyway?

I just wondered what the rules said?

That's exactly how you do it. For future reference that's the colours
3 core SWA come's in, you don't get single or three phase wiring, it's
all the same.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

T i m February 24th 04 01:31 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:24:23 GMT, (Lurch)
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:51:55 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

I know it would actually 'work' and I'm happy that some green / yellow
sleeving over say the yellow phase would make the earth wire clear,
some black heatsrink over the blue would sort the neutral and the red
is ok anyway?

I just wondered what the rules said?

That's exactly how you do it. For future reference that's the colours
3 core SWA come's in, you don't get single or three phase wiring, it's
all the same.

[T] Ahhhhh ... so he' didn't order the 'wrong stuff' by mistake then?

Cheers fella!

T i m

p.s. When are we going over the blue / brown for fixed wiring .?

Lurch February 24th 04 01:39 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

p.s. When are we going over the blue / brown for fixed wiring .?

Have a look around here,

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/cablecolfaq.cfm#Q4

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Dave Plowman February 24th 04 02:03 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

Hope so. This is what the leccy board used to feed my meter from the
riser. ;-)

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

T i m February 24th 04 02:21 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:39:09 GMT, (Lurch)
wrote:

p.s. When are we going over the blue / brown for fixed wiring .?

Have a look around here,

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/cablecolfaq.cfm#Q4

[T] Hmm, so, I've got until 1 April, 2006 to get this cable in .. ;-)

Thanks muchly again ..

T i m

So, rather than making 3 phase AND twin and external wire / armour
earth they use 3 phase for both and only need to make . stock one type
....?

Lurch February 24th 04 02:30 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

So, rather than making 3 phase AND twin and external wire / armour
earth they use 3 phase for both and only need to make . stock one type
...?

Pretty much, it's a supply and demand thing. If they only made half as
much of each colour combination it would theoretically cost twice as
much.
You can get allsorts of cables and accessories for electrical, (and
plumbing), that get you out of tricky situations but they're
overpriced and little used so no-one stocks them. So it's the make-do
this way method then!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Harry Bloomfield February 24th 04 03:29 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

On 24/02/2004 T i m opined:-
My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

Not a problem providing the markings are perfectly clear and
unabiguous.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

T i m February 24th 04 07:08 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:29:26 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

On 24/02/2004 T i m opined:-
My mate has a tidy roll of what I have now found out is 3 core 2.5mm
armoured cable (wooden drum) but it turns out it's coloured as 3 phase
(ie red / yellow / blue)?

Would it be ok (as per the current regs) if suitably marked, to use
this as a single phase feed to an outbuilding?

Not a problem providing the markings are perfectly clear and
unabiguous.

[T] Hi Harry,

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Isn't there something about leads for portable appliances where they
can use whatever coloured wire they choose as long as the plugs are
moulded on each end?

All the best ..

T i m

Lurch February 24th 04 07:17 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

The same would apply for using a twin and earth as a feed and
switchwire, the black will be live. I think yoou're meant to check
what the cable does *before* you start chopping it up and connecting
things to it.

Isn't there something about leads for portable appliances where they
can use whatever coloured wire they choose as long as the plugs are
moulded on each end?

Have to say I've not heard of that one, logically though if you cut
the plug off a lead you would want the correct colours there to be
able to wire up a new one. But then again, some things defy logic!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Christian McArdle February 25th 04 02:49 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Nah. Everyone uses red-live, blue-neutral and yellow-earth if it is for
earthed single phase supply. You definitely must sleeve the ends, though.

Christian.

T i m February 25th 04 03:54 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:49:44 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Nah. Everyone uses red-live, blue-neutral and yellow-earth if it is for
earthed single phase supply. You definitely must sleeve the ends, though.

[T] Thanks for that .. I would have done anyway, just wondered if it
was *ok* to simply re-mark it.

All the best ..

T i m

Zymurgy February 26th 04 02:36 AM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

T i m wrote
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Nah. Everyone uses red-live, blue-neutral and yellow-earth if it is for
earthed single phase supply. You definitely must sleeve the ends, though.

[T] Thanks for that .. I would have done anyway, just wondered if it
was *ok* to simply re-mark it.

It's ok, if someone breaks into the middle, there'll just be a big "bang" ;-)

HTH

Paul.

T i m February 26th 04 03:25 PM

3 phase armoured used for single phase supply?

On 25 Feb 2004 18:36:42 -0800, (Zymurgy)
wrote:

T i m wrote
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

I thought the issue might have been if someone breaks into the cable
they wouldn't know what was done at the ends? (ie, how I allocated the
single phase use of the 3 phase colours, or is there a rule I've
missed?)

Nah. Everyone uses red-live, blue-neutral and yellow-earth if it is for
earthed single phase supply. You definitely must sleeve the ends, though.

[T] Thanks for that .. I would have done anyway, just wondered if it
was *ok* to simply re-mark it.

It's ok, if someone breaks into the middle, there'll just be a big "bang" ;-)

HTH

Paul.

But it's not the fun it used to be .. now everything is on RCD's ...
;-(

All the best ..

T i m