Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wheelie Bin Compactors anyone?

Fortnightly collections and small wheelie bins have always caused a bit of
an issue, but now Rother council have decided that bottles have to go in the
re-cycling rather than a separate bin thus further reducing bin volume. So
I've been looking into 'wheelie bin squashers'

Does anyone have a good design or commercial source? Accepting the fact that
at my age I'm not going to climb inside the bin and use size 13 boots one of
the type that hook on the hinge / handle bit and give mechanical advantage
of about 2:1 look sensible, but commercial ones are working out at about £45
and come from Germany anyway !

I invite comments from those with personal experience

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 14:54:05 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Fortnightly collections and small wheelie bins have always caused a bit
of an issue, but now Rother council have decided that bottles have to go
in the re-cycling rather than a separate bin thus further reducing bin
volume. So I've been looking into 'wheelie bin squashers'

Does anyone have a good design or commercial source? Accepting the fact
that at my age I'm not going to climb inside the bin and use size 13
boots one of the type that hook on the hinge / handle bit and give
mechanical advantage of about 2:1 look sensible, but commercial ones are
working out at about £45 and come from Germany anyway !

I invite comments from those with personal experience

Andrew

I'd be concerned about breaking the bin - they're not that sturdy.

Also will the wagon be able to physically lift the more dense bin ? The
ones I've seen appear to rely on a jerk rather than a smooth progression
(which will add to the strain on the lifting handle).

Returning to the question, something like a brick on a stick might do
it ? Or a metal patio umbrella base on a pole. In either case open lid,
and repeated "thwack" until flat.

Something like this I had in mind:

https://tinyurl.com/y4laz6se

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 14:54:06 UTC+1, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Fortnightly collections and small wheelie bins have always caused a bit of
an issue, but now Rother council have decided that bottles have to go in the
re-cycling rather than a separate bin thus further reducing bin volume.

I can't see on their website, but will they let you have an additional recycling bin?

Otherwise they do say you can leave flattened cardboard or other recycling next to the bin in carriers or clear bags.

I don't think any of the domestic 'squashers' will do much with glass bottles, you'd need an industrial crusher to make a difference in volume.

Owain

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 15:27, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

Plastic bottles are easy to flatten. When you boil a kettle, pour a
beaker full of the excess not used for tea into the milk/coke
bottle or whatever, put the cap on, give it quick swirl and
poor out the contents.

While it still almost too hot to touch, flatten it with a bit
of cardboard for few seconds. Voila a flat bottle.

Glass bottles, just smash them up. Not much comes in glass these
days anyway unless you are wino.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
My garden waste recycling bin is often brim full and compacted by
two-foot-power,

Just snip the woody stuff up into easily compressible
fragments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message ...

On 25/09/2019 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
My garden waste recycling bin is often brim full and compacted by
two-foot-power,

Just snip the woody stuff up into easily compressible
fragments.

Green waste is no problem, everything is composted (we are on a small farm).
Before Rother changed their sub-contractor they would take extra bags of
recycling and flattened card board left next to the bin, but the new lot
have refused and just left it all with a snotty note

I'd like to incinerate cardboard but the clinging smell of smouldering
cardboard is not nice for our guests in the holiday cottages .

Hence looking for a squisher !

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 17:18, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Andrew"Â* wrote in message ...

On 25/09/2019 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
My garden waste recycling bin is often brim full and compacted by
two-foot-power,

Just snip the woody stuff up into easily compressible
fragments.

Green waste is no problem, everything is composted (we are on a small
farm). Before Rother changed their sub-contractor they would take extra
bags of recycling and flattened card board left next to the bin, but the
new lot have refused and just left it all with a snotty note

I'd like to incinerate cardboard but the clinging smell of smouldering
cardboard is not nice for our guests in the holiday cottages .

Hence looking for a squisher !

Andrew

You can mulch up cardboard with other green waste and simply
compost it along with whatever vegetarian animal poo you
have access to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew"Â* wrote in message ...

On 25/09/2019 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
My garden waste recycling bin is often brim full and compacted by
two-foot-power,

Just snip the woody stuff up into easily compressible
fragments.

Green waste is no problem, everything is composted (we are on a small
farm). Before Rother changed their sub-contractor they would take extra
bags of recycling and flattened card board left next to the bin, but the
new lot have refused and just left it all with a snotty note

I'd like to incinerate cardboard but the clinging smell of smouldering
cardboard is not nice for our guests in the holiday cottages .

Hence looking for a squisher !

Andrew

You can mulch up cardboard with other green waste and simply
compost it along with whatever vegetarian animal poo you
have access to.

For the plastic bottles, you can always remove the cap, squash it and then put the cap back on. Since air can't get in it will stay in its flattened state. Can also crush drinks cans before they go in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

I've been looking into 'wheelie bin squashers'

Our council has said they don't like stuff to be folded, flattened and
squashed in the recycling bin, as it frustrates the automatic sorting
equipment ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns has brought this to us :
Our council has said they don't like stuff to be folded, flattened and
squashed in the recycling bin, as it frustrates the automatic sorting
equipment ..

Our council ays the don't mind boxes flattened and torn up to get more
in the bin. We don't usually generate much waste anyway, about 1/3 to
1/2 full usually when each (small size) is emptied every alternate
week..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew"Â* wrote in message ...
On 25/09/2019 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:

My garden waste recycling bin is often brim full and compacted by
two-foot-power,

Just snip the woody stuff up into easily compressible
fragments.

Green waste is no problem, everything is composted (we are on a small
farm). Before Rother changed their sub-contractor they would take extra
bags of recycling and flattened card board left next to the bin, but the
new lot have refused and just left it all with a snotty note

I'd like to incinerate cardboard but the clinging smell of smouldering
cardboard is not nice for our guests in the holiday cottages .

Hence looking for a squisher !

Andrew

You can mulch up cardboard with other green waste and simply
compost it along with whatever vegetarian animal poo you
have access to.

You can also shred it & use as cat litter. Little domestic shredders typically want it cutting into strips narrower than A4, look for the slowest feed rate to get the greatest torque.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew"Â* wrote in message ...

[...]

Except that many councils reject recycling bins with the lids in,
because they are made of a different type of plastic.

I hav often thought that some sort of shredder would make sense for
plastic bottles.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 19:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns has brought this to us :
Our council has said they don't like stuff to be folded, flattened and
squashed in the recycling bin, as it frustrates the automatic sorting
equipment ..

Our council ays the don't mind boxes flattened and torn up to get more
in the bin. We don't usually generate much waste anyway, about 1/3 to
1/2 full usually when each (small size) is emptied every alternate week..

We have 240l recycling bins, but they are only collected once a month
and we are a household of 5, so both our black bin (platic bottles,
glass, tins, tin-foil) and our blue bin (paper can card) can get quite full.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 14:27:03 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

[...]

two-foot-power, and gets very heavy, but the lorry seems to cope OK.
Having said that, the bin has split down one side, I suspect due to my
overly enthusiastic compaction methods, and I've 'stitched' it to hold
it together, so the OP needs to be careful he doesn't over-do the
compaction.

A few weeks back we had a sudden windfall of pears, and ultimately there
was not much could be done with them but use a snow shovel to load them
into the green bin. Pretty much filled it! It must of been well over
50kg of them and it was a ******* to wheel out. The the lorry seemed to
empty it with ease.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 14:54, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Fortnightly collections and small wheelie bins have always caused a bit
of an issue, but now Rother council have decided that bottles have to go
in the re-cycling rather than a separate bin thus further reducing bin
volume. So I've been looking into 'wheelie bin squashers'

Does anyone have a good design or commercial source? Accepting the fact
that at my age I'm not going to climb inside the bin and use size 13
boots one of the type that hook on the hinge / handle bit and give
mechanical advantage of about 2:1 look sensible, but commercial ones are
working out at about £45 and come from Germany anyway !

I invite comments from those with personal experienceÂ*

You could try something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysr9yOY53bk

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Our council ban their use on their bins as it makes tipping them out almost
impossible, stuff sticks in them.
However we do have bins as tall as I am and really being a single person
I'd like smaller ones but apparently the newer vehicles can only handle this
size of bins these days. Its about time these waste collecting outfits put
their heads together and got a standard sorted out.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Fortnightly collections and small wheelie bins have always caused a bit of
an issue, but now Rother council have decided that bottles have to go in
the re-cycling rather than a separate bin thus further reducing bin
volume. So I've been looking into 'wheelie bin squashers'

Does anyone have a good design or commercial source? Accepting the fact
that at my age I'm not going to climb inside the bin and use size 13 boots
one of the type that hook on the hinge / handle bit and give mechanical
advantage of about 2:1 look sensible, but commercial ones are working out
at about £45 and come from Germany anyway !

I invite comments from those with personal experience

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff formulated on Thursday :
apparently the newer vehicles can only handle this size of bins these days.
Its about time these waste collecting outfits put their heads together and
got a standard sorted out.

That is a standard isn't it? All the bin sizes are the same height, to
suit mechanical emptying, but their width/capacity varies. The only way
they could accept smaller than the standard, is by making the bins
narrower, which would make them unstable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 17:25, Andrew wrote:

You can mulch up cardboard with other green waste and simply
compost it along with whatever vegetarian animal poo you
have access to.

I compost card but am finding these days more card has a plastic film
layer which doesn't compost. There also seems to be a lot of waxed card
which is somewhat waterproof and takes a long time to break down in a
compost heap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

Except that many councils reject recycling bins with the lids in,
because they are made of a different type of plastic.

If we're talking milk bottles here, I haven't seen one this
century with the cap made of a different material - only the
colour is different.

I hav often thought that some sort of shredder would make sense for
plastic bottles.

Might make it difficult for sorting at the recycling site,
though.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2019 09:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 09:30:52 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Brian Gaff formulated on Thursday :
apparently the newer vehicles can only handle this size of bins these
days.
Its about time these waste collecting outfits put their heads together
and got a standard sorted out.

That is a standard isn't it? All the bin sizes are the same height, to
suit mechanical emptying, but their width/capacity varies. The only way
they could accept smaller than the standard, is by making the bins
narrower, which would make them unstable.

ITYM *more* unstable ...

:-)

Yup you have to be careful with our non recylceables bin - its the same
height and depth as a full sized bin, but only about two thirds the
width. Net result it has a tendency to want to tip to the side when
wheeled over rough ground, and try and twist your wrist off!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 17:00:46 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

Glass bottles, just smash them up. Not much comes in glass these
days anyway unless you are wino.

you're not suposed to put broken glass in recycle bins because of the risk to collectors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2019 16:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
My garden waste recycling bin is often brim full and compacted by
two-foot-power, and gets very heavy, but the lorry seems to cope OK.
Having said that, the bin has split down one side, I suspect due to my
overly enthusiastic compaction methods, and I've 'stitched' it to hold
it together, so the OP needs to be careful he doesn't over-do the
compaction.

I use a spade. It's a combination squasher and chopper.

One of our garden bins has split, and I'm pretty sure it was done by the
lorry...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2019 11:34, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

Except that many councils reject recycling bins with the lids in,
because they are made of a different type of plastic.

If we're talking milk bottles here, I haven't seen one this
century with the cap made of a different material - only the
colour is different.

2 litre fizzy water bottles in particular and some other fizzy
drink/cordial bottles.

I hav often thought that some sort of shredder would make sense for
plastic bottles.

Might make it difficult for sorting at the recycling site,
though.

How do they sort? I know it is automated (that's why black ready meal
trays can't easily be recycled, as the systems can't see them). I assume
that they use different frequencies of "light" and the different
plastics show up differently. Separate peices rather than whole bottles
should stil be sortable. I am not talking about cross-cut shredding into
tiny pieces. Pieces a couple of inches square would probably be small
enough to pack together well and large enough to be sorted.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2019 13:19, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 17:00:46 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

Glass bottles, just smash them up. Not much comes in glass these
days anyway unless you are wino.

you're not suposed to put broken glass in recycle bins because of the risk to collectors.

What risk? The bins are wheeled, with the lid closed; picked up by the
machine and emptied into the wagon - glass is likely to break during
tipping into the wagon anyway.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 12:41:42 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of how easily they blow over when empty. Not sure quite
how the movement of refuse lorries creates such a predictable micro
climate, but it seems to get gustier immediately after the bins have been
emptied, and are left on the footpath to blow onto their sides into the
road ...

Its much more likely that they are easier to blow over when empty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 10:42:02 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Its much more likely that they are easier to blow over when empty.

You felt again that someone wanted to hear your senile opinion, you senile
asshole troll from Oz? BG

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew"Â* wrote in message ...

[...]

then put the cap back on.Â* Since air can't get in it will stay in its
flattened state.Â* Can also crush drinks cans before they go in.

Except that many councils reject recycling bins with the lids in,
because they are made of a different type of plastic.

I hav often thought that some sort of shredder would make sense for
plastic bottles.

SteveW

Flattening plastic milk bottle and PET drinks bottles is easy.
Just rinse out, then when you have the kettle on for a drink,
pour a beaker full of hot water (i.e. more than hand hot so
over the thermoplastic setting temperature), put the lid on
give a quick shake, pour out the water and flatten the
container. Within seconds it cools and stays flattened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 00:07, Steve Walker wrote:
On 26/09/2019 11:34, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

Except that many councils reject recycling bins with the lids in,
because they are made of a different type of plastic.

If we're talking milk bottles here, I haven't seen one this
century with the cap made of a different material - only the
colour is different.

#
Also remove any outer plastic wrap used to decorate some
PET drinks containers.

Apparently coloured PET bottle are NOT wanted by the recyclers.
only clear PET is recyclable.

2 litre fizzy water bottles in particular and some other fizzy
drink/cordial bottles.

I hav often thought that some sort of shredder would make sense for
plastic bottles.

Might make it difficult for sorting at the recycling site,
though.

How do they sort? I know it is automated (that's why black ready meal
trays can't easily be recycled, as the systems can't see them). I assume
that they use different frequencies of "light" and the different
plastics show up differently. Separate peices rather than whole bottles
should stil be sortable. I am not talking about cross-cut shredding into
tiny pieces. Pieces a couple of inches square would probably be small
enough to pack together well and large enough to be sorted.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2019 11:04, alan_m wrote:
On 25/09/2019 17:25, Andrew wrote:

You can mulch up cardboard with other green waste and simply
compost it along with whatever vegetarian animal poo you
have access to.

I compost card but am finding these days more card has a plastic film
layer which doesn't compost. There also seems to be a lot of waxed card
which is somewhat waterproof and takes a long time to break down in a
compost heap.

Yes, annoying. Higgidy pies still have plastic windows that can be
pulled off and recycled with bread bags etc (where possible) leaving
the cardboard to be recycled as normal. They even have the instructions
on the box !.

All supermarket sandwich containers now seem to be made of cardboard
with a polythene film laminated all over it, like takeaway coffee
cups, so cannot be recycled in most places.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 13:47, Andrew wrote:
[...]

One of my complaints is the lack of information on what we might to make
things better for recycling. For example it is trivial to remove the
polythene cap from PET bottles, and not much work to take of the remains
of the PE locking ring as well. We have an incinerator opening soon and
the offer of "tours". This will be one of my questions! Another
irritation is that there seems to be no central guidance on moving
towards a consistent strategy across the country.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 17:00:46 UTC+1, AndrewÂ* wrote:

Glass bottles, just smash them up. Not much comes in glass these
days anyway unless you are wino.

you're not suposed to put broken glass in recycle bins because of the
risk to collectors.

What risk? The bins are wheeled, with the lid closed; picked up by the
machine and emptied into the wagon - glass is likely to break during
tipping into the wagon anyway.

SteveW

Escpecially when the hydraulic ram squashes the lorry contents after
every bin is tipped in !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2019 12:41, John Rumm wrote:
Yup you have to be careful with our non recylceables bin - its the same
height and depth as a full sized bin, but only about two thirds the
width. Net result it has a tendency to want to tip to the side when
wheeled over rough ground, and try and twist your wrist off!

try pushing it with both hands :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

We have an incinerator opening soon and the offer of "tours". This will
be one of my questions!

Will an incinerator care that much about what plastics are separated,
provided it burns?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 14:10, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

We have an incinerator opening soon and the offer of "tours". This
will be one of my questions!

Will an incinerator care that much about what plastics are separated,
provided it burns?

Doesn't even matter if it doesn't 'burn' provided it decomposes...
The idea is to get down to as little ash as possible, and hope it isn't
toxic.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 13:59, Andrew wrote:
On 26/09/2019 12:41, John Rumm wrote:
Yup you have to be careful with our non recylceables bin - its the
same height and depth as a full sized bin, but only about two thirds
the width. Net result it has a tendency to want to tip to the side
when wheeled over rough ground, and try and twist your wrist off!

try pushing it with both hands :-)

Pushing does not really work over uneven ground...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 13:55, newshound wrote:
[...]

I would guess that part of the difficulty is the recycling facilities
available vary with region, so the options change necessarily with
region as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2019 13:54, Andrew wrote:
On 26/09/2019 11:04, alan_m wrote:
On 25/09/2019 17:25, Andrew wrote:

You can mulch up cardboard with other green waste and simply
compost it along with whatever vegetarian animal poo you
have access to.

I compost card but am finding these days more card has a plastic film
layer which doesn't compost. There also seems to be a lot of waxed
card which is somewhat waterproof and takes a long time to break down
in a compost heap.

Yes, annoying. Higgidy pies still have plastic windows that can be
pulled off and recycled with bread bags etc (where possible) leaving
the cardboard to be recycled as normal. They even have the instructions
on the box !.

Our recycling scheme will take boxes with windows still in place...

--
Cheers,

John.