Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blink Security Camera

Any thoughts on the Blink XT2 for monitoring my driveway? I have wanted a
camera for a while but have been put off by the need to wire up to it. The
cordless feature appeals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:09:25 GMT, John wrote:

Any thoughts on the Blink XT2 for monitoring my driveway? I have wanted
a camera for a while but have been put off by the need to wire up to it.
The cordless feature appeals.

No cord for power?

Ah, battery powered. I'd take that "2 years" battery life with a very
large pinch of salt. Only 8 seconds live view or 60 seconds of motion
detected recording/day?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 14:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:09:25 GMT, John wrote:

Any thoughts on the Blink XT2 for monitoring my driveway? I have wanted
a camera for a while but have been put off by the need to wire up to it.
The cordless feature appeals.

No cord for power?

Ah, battery powered. I'd take that "2 years" battery life with a very
large pinch of salt. Only 8 seconds live view or 60 seconds of motion
detected recording/day?

And with some of the negative reviews indicating that the time taken to
wake up from sleep mode gives a perfect picture of a person leaving the
property. From all accounts the unit mainly sits in a deep standby mode
with some motion detection active. When motion is detected it wakes up
to transmit data and then shuts down shortly afterwards. Set the motion
detection too sensitive or mount the camera in the wrong position and
some report the battery may only last a few weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 September 2019 16:04:22 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
[...]

I haven't looked, will it run off a small lead acid?
Or off LV fed by speaker cable?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stupid name for a camera. Blink is a slang term for blind.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" wrote in message
2.236...
Any thoughts on the Blink XT2 for monitoring my driveway? I have wanted a
camera for a while but have been put off by the need to wire up to it. The
cordless feature appeals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote

Any thoughts on the Blink XT2 for monitoring my driveway?
I have wanted a camera for a while but have been put off by
the need to wire up to it. The cordless feature appeals.

The problem with all of those is that they aren't cheap and
very easy to steal by those who don’t want to buy them.

One of them, one of the Rings from memory, does replace
it for free if it gets stolen, but only replace it once.

I have 13 massive great patio doors all down the long
sides of my house instead of individual windows on all
rooms except for the bathrooms and toilets so decided
to have the cameras inside to make it harder to steal
them. But they use PIR movement sensors so that
doesn’t work either.

I plan to have cameras still inside the house but
with line crossing and facial recognition instead
of PIR movement sensors but havent done it yet.

The other gotcha is that with those cloud systems,
if you want 24/7 recording, its surprisingly expensive
and a monthly charge rather than a single initial
capital cost. Can get very expensive over time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 06:27:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The arlos do have a power socket and a small plug
pack you can buy to power them permanently.

You can shove all those up your senile arse, senile arsehole!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 05:37:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Any thoughts on the Blink XT2 for monitoring my driveway?
I have wanted a camera for a while but have been put off by
the need to wire up to it. The cordless feature appeals.

The problem with all of those is

The problem here is that you are a trolling, nym-shifting piece of senile
****!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 21:22:12 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Or off LV fed by speaker cable?

The blurb mentions a USB socket for power but having something
plugged into that stops it being "waterproof". What "waterproof"
means I don't know, didn't spot an IP rating.

The usb socket is on the receiver.

That's not how I read:

"Ports: Micro USB (optional for power). Camera no longer weather
resistant when USB cover is open"

On:

https://blinkforhome.co.uk/products/...-camera-system

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 16:04:19 +0100, alan_m wrote:

No cord for power?

Ah, battery powered. I'd take that "2 years" battery life with a

very
large pinch of salt. Only 8 seconds live view or 60 seconds of

motion
detected recording/day?

And with some of the negative reviews indicating that the time taken to
wake up from sleep mode gives a perfect picture of a person leaving the
property.

FSVO "perfect picture" it only quotes "up to 1080p" . Is that 1080
native or upscaled? And with a 110 deg field of view unless some one
is fairly close to the camera they won't be many pixels for them.

Personally I'd look a PoE IP camera. I've a Hik Vision DS-2CD2432F-I
that is now rather old and discontinued but that can do 2048x1536,
goes down to 0.07 lux in monochrome mode (it can see the stars and
produce a decent image by moonlight). Has PIR and IR LED illuminator.
Not IP65 though. These days I'd expect to find 4k and HDR IP cameras
at that £100 price point.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought Blink 2. Fitted in a jiffy - bought an extender to help with the
wifi connection.
Works well. Quite reassuring when I was away for a few days. Not perfect -
but some nice features. I really didn't want wires anywhere.

Snags -
a bit too sensitive even in the areas deselected - perhaps reflections.

clips need a gap beween them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2019 21:34, John wrote:

Snags -
a bit too sensitive even in the areas deselected - perhaps reflections.

That was one the main reason for negative reviews. As it triggers so
often to transmit the batteries may/will last a lot less than the 2
years claimed - perhaps just weeks!