Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flushing / cleaning a radiator

Hi All

I have a radiator which has a load of gung in it. I have taken it off and wanted to clean it before putting it back into operation. What's the best thing to flush it all out with. Assume a hose will get most out but what will clean the rest out?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 12:00, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I have a radiator which has a load of gung in it. I have taken it off and wanted to clean it before putting it back into operation. What's the best thing to flush it all out with. Assume a hose will get most out but what will clean the rest out?

I've managed to get a lot of crude out just using a garden hose
connected to an outside tap. Block off one of the ports and fill using
the other. When full remove the blockage on the port and allow the water
to run out and then allow to _fully_ empty. Repeat using the reverse
flow. Turn the radiator upside down and repeat. Continue many times
until the water always runs clear. When power flushing in the
"professionals" will hammer/vibrate the radiator to dislodge the crud.
You can improvise this action.

https://youtu.be/T6HwjWpPNlw?t=269

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As most of the crud sits in the bottom of the radiator using a hose through one of the valve holes whilst tilting it so the water runs out the other usually does the trick. Taking the air vent or plug of one of the top openings and repeating with the hose tends to get rid of any crud built up in the vertical channels.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 12:00, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I have a radiator which has a load of gung in it. I have taken it off and wanted to clean it before putting it back into operation. What's the best thing to flush it all out with. Assume a hose will get most out but what will clean the rest out?

Thanks

Lee.

Take it outside, mount upside down a in workmate, tilting
down at one end and blast it with the hose pipe until it
runs clean.

You could then stick some bungs in the exi hole and fill up
with a weak acid of some sort to loosen any remaining
crud.

Then dry it with a wet-n-dry bvac in blow mode. After a
few minutes the air being blown will be quite hot if it
is an older powerful motor variant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2019 16:50, Andrew wrote:
On 01/09/2019 12:00, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I have a radiator which has a load of gung in it. I have taken it off
and wanted to clean it before putting it back into operation.Â* What's
the best thing to flush it all out with. Assume a hose will get most
out but what will clean the rest out?

Thanks

Lee.

Take it outside, mount upside down a in workmate, tilting
down at one end and blast it with the hose pipe until it
runs clean.

You also also part fill it and rock back and forth so the
internal wave action scours the internal walls.

You could then stick some bungs in the exi hole and fill up
with a weak acid of some sort to loosen any remaining
crud.

Then dry it with a wet-n-dry bvac in blow mode. After a
few minutes the air being blown will be quite hot if it
is an older powerful motor variant.

Flushing pipes and radiator? Paul D Smith UK diy 6 December 17th 12 03:38 PM
Toilet flushing problem [difficult flushing-possible vent problem] [email protected] Home Ownership 4 March 19th 05 10:30 AM
Flushing out a radiator Crewood UK diy 4 March 15th 05 10:54 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM
Cleaning/Flushing a pressurise ad sealed CH system Dougie Nisbet UK diy 26 November 1st 03 07:50 PM