Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default In praise of Royal Mail

We were out for the day on Saturday, delivering son to uni [1] and
arrived home just after half past five. Half an hour later there is a
knock at the back door and there stands our postie in 'civvies', with a
large box under his arm. He had been unable to deliver it during the
day (too large for the usual method of poking stuff through the cat
flap), so was dropping it off while walking his dog, in case it was
something we needed urgently. Top man, top service.

[1] See PAT and uni thread. Long story short, small print says only
items over one year old, and even those can be tested within the uni, so
no worries. A fee for testing is not mentioned, so we'll worry about
that when or if it happens.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes

Brian, you are correct, although these days rural posties take their
vans home, so I suspect the parcel stayed in the van. Having said that,
the posties are not allowed to keep mail in the van after a shift, but
the chances of anyone checking out in the sticks is remote.

Worth mentioning too that it was a medium parcel, posted first class
Friday, and arrived Saturday morning.

Yes very good, but there are stories of postmen being told that to take
mail home even for a short time could get them the sack. This comes from a
bloke who worked for Royal Mail in Feltham. Big brother is watching you.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 07:13:19 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

We were out for the day on Saturday, delivering son to uni [1] and
arrived home just after half past five. Half an hour later there is a
knock at the back door and there stands our postie in 'civvies', with a
large box under his arm. He had been unable to deliver it during the
day (too large for the usual method of poking stuff through the cat
flap), so was dropping it off while walking his dog, in case it was
something we needed urgently.

What this says to me is there is a 'good' reason to fit a cat-flap
(especially one that only opens inwards) and that dog owners are good
people [1]. ;-)

Top man, top service.

As a cat owner I can see why you might be surprised by such selfless
actions. ;-)

[1] See PAT and uni thread. Long story short, small print says only
items over one year old, and even those can be tested within the uni, so
no worries. A fee for testing is not mentioned, so we'll worry about
that when or if it happens.

I've not read that thread but whenever we have taken anything main
powered into say a hospital (excluding crafty phone chargers etc),
anything new-in-box with receipt is generally accepted as-is whereas
anything else (that you probably couldn't show a proof of purchase
(date) for even if requested was refused (hospital) or was PAT tested
for free (hospice).

In the hospice we were allowed to install and use a (brand new) DVD
player (we weren't sure how long she would be able to enjoy a film,
even in bursts) so needed it in and working before the PAT man came
round next.

When he did come round he was presented with a bed coved in phone
chargers, hair dryers and computer kit and happily tested (and passed
[2]) all of it.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Joking aside, it's often dog walkers who (first) notice / report
basic anti-social activities (damaged cars, fly tipping etc) or
discover the results of serious crimes (inc bodies dumped in the
woods) and even provide a 'presence' on our streets, sometimes
disturbing crims etc.

[2] Nothing of ours would have had a frayed cord, incorrect fuse or be
damaged (or I would have already dealt with it etc). Good to have them
fully tested though. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

He had been unable to deliver it during the
day (too large for the usual method of poking stuff through the cat
flap), so was dropping it off while walking his dog, in case it was
something we needed urgently.

What this says to me is there is a 'good' reason to fit a cat-flap
(especially one that only opens inwards) and that dog owners are good
people [1]. ;-)

I have to agree with that, given that we too are dog owners, and that
both the postie and the dog (cocker) use the cat flap :-)

The cat flap is many years old, installed for a cat who passed years
ago. Bit of a tight fit for the dog, and if exiting in a hurry, she
tends to take the flap with her :-)

Top man, top service.

As a cat owner I can see why you might be surprised by such selfless
actions. ;-)

snort

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 1:27:43 PM UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

[...]

Our postie is also excellent. "Your hands are full, I'll sign the screen" and many other helpful gestures over the years. Country is the way to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 11:54:49 -0700 (PDT), misterroy
wrote:

snip

Our postie is also excellent. "Your hands are full, I'll sign the screen" and many other helpful gestures over the years.

We used to have 'a postie' or had one main / regular one and a fill-in
for sickness / holidays etc.

Now days we seem to get a different one each day but I'd have to say
most of them are pretty friendly / helpful.

Country is the way to be.

Till you need to get the bus into town in the winter to go to the
sorting office. ;-(

Cheers, T i m