Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.net.news.management,uk.local.glasgow,uk.d-i-y

Default Ping Ian Jackson 160m

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
On 17/08/2019 17:05, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Peter
Able writes
On 17/08/2019 15:58, mm0fmf wrote:
I apologise in advance for a serious radio related topic on this group
but here we go.
Ian, you jokingly mentioned the problem with 70cms was it was 159.3m
too short and that got me thinking about 160m. I've never had a 160m
QSO in 29 years of activity. I've never been motivated to try the
band. So what makes 160m something of interest to you after you've
been active for 60 years or so?

I'd guess that for those of us of that age it is the womb where we were
nurtured.,,. Loran, Portishead, TT11 PAs, HROs

AaaaaH!

You've put it better and more succinctly than I could. There was
something magic about radio in those days, with a high proportion of
newcomers being young, and either making their own gear or using 'war
surplus' equipment - often modifying it to improve its performance. The
fact that I was able to get an endfed fullwave up (over a river and at
around 70' or 80' at the highest point) also helped!

Cheers for that Ian and Peter. I expected there to be something like that
was involved, a soft spot for how things were etc.

I did some Googling into top band stuff and found Mike G4KFK's page of
top band articles which I've been reading. What is obvious looking at
some of the older valved gear is how delightfully simple and elegant
AM/CW transmitters can be. It's brought home as my job deals with
multi-million lines of software, GB of data resulting in multi-billion
transistor chips. An unforgiving sea of complexity that's difficult to
get a good overall view of what's happening. Something with a few valves
appeals even if my chassis work skills are rough.

Then there's getting an effective antenna for the band installed into the
typical UK postage stamp garden.

I'll leave this to degenerate now as all things on here always do.

no no...after you chebs ....

something about wearing the wife's panties like the post you just made up on
DIY under my "joining the motorway thread" would do nicely .......

I dont know why you dont just buy a stock of your own ladies underwear,
Jim, rather than keep wearing and ****ting your poor wifes drawers. Have
some consideration, mate, for ****s sake. Thanks, Jim.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Cole" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
[...]

you will have to excuse posts from this man as he is insane and loves to
cross post...sorry

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
[...]

rolling on the floor laughing is a sign of madness......

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

"Stephen Cole" wrote in message
Ian, you jokingly mentioned the problem with 70cms was it was
159.3m
too short and that got me thinking about 160m. I've never had a
160m
QSO in 29 years of activity. I've never been motivated to try the
band. So what makes 160m something of interest to you after you've
been active for 60 years or so?

As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to wavelength,
when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in the 1970s-80s? I
realise that c = f lambda, so one is related to the other by a factor of c.

Do modern ham radios with synthesised tuning and digital displays actually
display it as a wavelength in metres/centimetres, or do they display
frequencies in kHz/MHz, but colloquially referred to as "in the 70 cm / 160
m band" as an approximation.

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

it's Mc/s actually ....

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 19:27:22 +0100
"NY" wrote:

"Stephen Cole" wrote in message
Ian, you jokingly mentioned the problem with 70cms was it
was 159.3m
too short and that got me thinking about 160m. I've never
had a 160m
QSO in 29 years of activity. I've never been motivated to
try the band. So what makes 160m something of interest to
you after you've been active for 60 years or so?

As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to
wavelength, when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in
the 1970s-80s? I realise that c = f lambda, so one is related to the
other by a factor of c.

Do modern ham radios with synthesised tuning and digital displays
actually display it as a wavelength in metres/centimetres, or do they
display frequencies in kHz/MHz, but colloquially referred to as "in
the 70 cm / 160 m band" as an approximation.

Why aren't the wavelengths in yards?

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.local.glasgow

"NY" wrote:

[...]

How about fathoms? Then when Gareth Alun Evans G4SDW fails to send a signal
further than quarter mile again we could say that he couldnt fathom it.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
[...]

Yes but most of us can get up afterwards...
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.local.glasgow

"NY" wrote:

[...]

Once we've Taken Back Control„¢ we should have British Frequency,
measured in furlongs.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.net.news.management,uk.local.glasgow,uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug 2019 18:05:34 GMT, Stephen Cole
wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
[...]

You on them funny fags ...again?
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.net.news.management,uk.local.glasgow,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
[...]

I donÂ’t know why you donÂ’t just buy a stock of your own ladies underwear,
Jim, rather than keep wearing and ****ting your poor wifeÂ’s drawers. Have
some consideration, mate, for ****Â’s sake. Thanks, Jim.

You on them funny fags ...again?

Jims poor wifes drawers are no laughing matter, Rich. Especially not
after Jims peeled them off his taint.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

In message , Roger Breedle
writes
"NY" wrote:

[...]

We will be changing back to yards in 1 Nov.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc

"NY" wrote:

[...]

that was almost funny....ha.......ha

Thanks for the re****, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

On 19/08/2019 19:27, NY wrote:
As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to
wavelength, when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in
the 1970s-80s? I realise that c = f lambda, so one is related to the
other by a factor of c.

Well exactly.

Mile per gallon or liters per 100km/h?

Do modern ham radios with synthesised tuning and digital displays
actually display it as a wavelength in metres/centimetres, or do they
display frequencies in kHz/MHz, but colloquially referred to as "in the
70 cm / 160 m band" as an approximation.

I suspeect radio amateurs know the damned relationships off by rote. Of
course knowing the wavelenght is handy when building antennae.

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to wavelength,
when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in the 1970s-80s?
I realise that c = f lambda, so one is related to the other by a factor
of c.

Do modern ham radios with synthesised tuning and digital displays
actually display it as a wavelength in metres/centimetres, or do they
display frequencies in kHz/MHz, but colloquially referred to as "in the
70 cm / 160 m band" as an approximation.

it's Mc/s actually ....

LOL. Of course. I'd completely forgotten about old radio stations using the
term "c/s" rather than "Hz".

"c/s" is somewhat reminiscent of old editions of Wireless World and other
similar magazines which had a strange house style of putting a full stop
after every single letter of an abbreviation or unit, and always using
lower-case letters (so "c./s." rather than "c/s", and e.p.r.o.m." rather
than "EPROM".

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

"NY" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

yes much better..I mean what does Hertz mean anyway...some German
punter........

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

"NY" wrote in message
"Stephen Cole" wrote in message
Ian, you jokingly mentioned the problem with 70cms was it was
159.3m
too short and that got me thinking about 160m. I've never had a
160m
QSO in 29 years of activity. I've never been motivated to try the
band. So what makes 160m something of interest to you after
you've
been active for 60 years or so?

As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to wavelength,
when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in the 1970s-80s?

They are just as much traditionalists as the worst of the lawyers.

Thats why they keep using terms like QSO, XYL, OM and wavelengths.

I realise that c = f lambda, so one is related to the other by a factor of
c.

Do modern ham radios with synthesised tuning and digital displays actually
display it as a wavelength in metres/centimetres,

Nope.

or do they display frequencies in kHz/MHz,

Yep.

but colloquially referred to as "in the 70 cm / 160 m band" as an
approximation.

The radios dont, but individuals do when referring to bands.
But they use the frequency when telling you where to tune to.

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Roger Breedle
writes
"NY" wrote:

[...]

Lord Kelvin of Glasgow University was the champion of the metric system.
The absolute metric temperature scale is named after him.

By a remarkable coincidence ,the non metric equivalent the Rankine
scale is named after a contemporary of his at Glasgow William Rankine.

Http://www.engineeringhalloffame.org...e-rankine.html

A proper Polymath and champion of the non-metric system.

"Two of Rankine's somewhat reactionary verses from "The Three Foot Rule"
which he sang at the British Association in 1864" Listed on the right

He was some kid.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.local.glasgow

brian wrote:
In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Roger Breedle
writes
"NY" wrote:

[...]

Did he ever get a postman in a headlock, tho?

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 11:07:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to wavelength,
when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in the 1970s-80s?

They are just as much traditionalists as the worst of the lawyers.

Now ALSO an expert in radio amateurs' practices, you clinically insane,
"all-knowing", senile asshole? I guess nobody is surprised any more. LOL

cretin from Oz:

ULM Ian Jackson Dogging Forgery? Scion[_2_] UK diy 3 February 10th 14 01:31 PM
SSE boss Ian Marchant warns of risk of "lights going out" Phil UK diy 52 March 24th 13 03:15 PM
Ping Anne Jackson Mary Fisher UK diy 37 August 24th 08 08:47 PM
Re Crown installation technique experiment: to Dave Jackson srazor Woodworking 0 December 28th 04 02:09 PM