Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow
brian[_5_] brian[_5_] is offline

Default Ping Ian Jackson 160m

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Roger Breedle
writes
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 19:27:22 +0100
"NY" wrote:

"Stephen Cole" wrote in message
Ian, you jokingly mentioned the problem with 70cms was it
was 159.3m
too short and that got me thinking about 160m. I've never
had a 160m
QSO in 29 years of activity. I've never been motivated to
try the band. So what makes 160m something of interest to
you after you've been active for 60 years or so?

As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to
wavelength, when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in
the 1970s-80s? I realise that c = f lambda, so one is related to the
other by a factor of c.

Do modern ham radios with synthesised tuning and digital displays
actually display it as a wavelength in metres/centimetres, or do they
display frequencies in kHz/MHz, but colloquially referred to as "in
the 70 cm / 160 m band" as an approximation.

Why aren't the wavelengths in yards?

We will be changing back to yards in 1 Nov.

Lord Kelvin of Glasgow University was the champion of the metric system.
The absolute metric temperature scale is named after him.

By a remarkable coincidence ,the non metric equivalent the Rankine
scale is named after a contemporary of his at Glasgow William Rankine.

Http://www.engineeringhalloffame.org...e-rankine.html

A proper Polymath and champion of the non-metric system.

"Two of Rankine's somewhat reactionary verses from "The Three Foot Rule"
which he sang at the British Association in 1864" Listed on the right

He was some kid.

Brian

--
Brian Howie