Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow

Default Ping Ian Jackson 160m

On 19/08/2019 19:27, NY wrote:
As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to
wavelength, when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in
the 1970s-80s? I realise that c = f lambda, so one is related to the
other by a factor of c.

Well exactly.

Mile per gallon or liters per 100km/h?

Do modern ham radios with synthesised tuning and digital displays
actually display it as a wavelength in metres/centimetres, or do they
display frequencies in kHz/MHz, but colloquially referred to as "in the
70 cm / 160 m band" as an approximation.

I suspeect radio amateurs know the damned relationships off by rote. Of
course knowing the wavelenght is handy when building antennae.