Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.local.glasgow
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Ping Ian Jackson 160m

"NY" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
As a matter of interest, why do radio amateurs still refer to
wavelength, when broadcast radio changed to referring to frequency in
the 1970s-80s? I realise that c = f lambda, so one is related to the
other by a factor of c.

Do modern ham radios with synthesised tuning and digital displays
actually display it as a wavelength in metres/centimetres, or do they
display frequencies in kHz/MHz, but colloquially referred to as "in the
70 cm / 160 m band" as an approximation.

it's Mc/s actually ....

LOL. Of course. I'd completely forgotten about old radio stations using
the term "c/s" rather than "Hz".

"c/s" is somewhat reminiscent of old editions of Wireless World and other
similar magazines which had a strange house style of putting a full stop
after every single letter of an abbreviation or unit, and always using
lower-case letters (so "c./s." rather than "c/s", and e.p.r.o.m." rather
than "EPROM".

yes much better..I mean what does Hertz mean anyway...some German
punter........