Posted to uk.d-i-y
gjb gjb is offline

Default Anglian Defender 3000 alarm system, does not work after power cut.

We had a power cut last night for just over 1 hour. When we went to set the
alarm it does not work. The power light is lit on the panel and there is a red
and green light on the power supply unit. Salamander Alarms Ltd say the
control panel has dropped out and an engineer will need to visit at a cost of
£150. We are pensioners and that is a lot, can anyone help please

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1378072-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 11:44, gjb wrote:
We had a power cut last night for just over 1 hour. When we went to set the
alarm it does not work. The power light is lit on the panel and there is
a red
and green light on the power supply unit. Salamander Alarms Ltd say the
control panel has dropped out and an engineer will need to visit at a
cost of
£150. We are pensioners and that is a lot, can anyone help please

Chances are its backup battery has failed.

Most alarm systems can last for a while on their emergency battery
reserve and recover gracefully from a powercut. If they don't then you
probably do need a service visit (unless you happen to know the
engineers access code and dismantle sequence for the anti-tamper
features on the control panel). Get it wrong and the external bell and
maybe internal ones will panic by ringing until its battery runs out
(which may not be all that long if it has an ancient battery in too).

You could try cycling the power a few times and crossing your fingers.

Back in 2007 there are few threads on alarm forums recommending junking
this model when they go seriously wrong (perhaps an overreaction).

https://www.thesecurityinstaller.co....r-3000-system/

Salamander might sell you a manual if you don't already have one.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/08/2019 11:44, gjb wrote:
[...]

The external sounder will usually have its own batteries. These can run a
piezo-electric siren for bloody ages.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 11:44, gjb wrote:
We had a power cut last night for just over 1 hour. When we went to set the
alarm it does not work. The power light is lit on the panel and there is
a red
and green light on the power supply unit. Salamander Alarms Ltd say the
control panel has dropped out and an engineer will need to visit at a
cost of
£150. We are pensioners and that is a lot, can anyone help please

If you get the Engineering manual, perhaps by download it is possible to
look after the alarm yourself.

The manual will most likely tell you how to reset the alarm to clear the
engineer login code so that you can then set a new one.

If you look after the alarm yourself that may have an impact on your
property insurance.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2019 00:05, Michael Chare wrote:

If you look after the alarm yourself that may have an impact on your
property insurance.

If you look after the alarm yourself don't tell the insurance company
that you have an alarm. The saving in premiums for having an
(maintained) alarm and BS approved door/window locks is usually
insignificant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 16/08/2019 00:05, Michael Chare wrote:

If you look after the alarm yourself that may have an impact on your
property insurance.

If you look after the alarm yourself don't tell the insurance company
that you have an alarm. The saving in premiums for having an
(maintained) alarm and BS approved door/window locks is usually
insignificant.

unless they insist on you having these.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/08/2019 10:43, charles wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 16/08/2019 00:05, Michael Chare wrote:

If you look after the alarm yourself that may have an impact on your
property insurance.

If you look after the alarm yourself don't tell the insurance company
that you have an alarm. The saving in premiums for having an
(maintained) alarm and BS approved door/window locks is usually
insignificant.

unless they insist on you having these.

Then you are probably not a poor pensioner.

I set of an alarm(silent) at a house by not closing a certain internal
door and then opening another certain internal door. A monitored system.

The butler forgot to warn me.

--
Adam