Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to change the batteries in an Defender 3000 alarm system?

Hello -

My fairly elderly parents have a fairly elderly alarm system. They are
currently being charged about £25 per month by a maintenance company, and
I'd like to know how easy it would be to do the maintenance myself. FWIW,
they already have several noisy dogs and live in a safe area, so I'm not
sure this thing is worth the cost of the contract. The user manual
identifies it as an Anglian "Defender 3000", but this doesn't generate any
hits in Google; presumably it's a rebadged version of a better known model.

The supplied manuals are very basic and don't even tell you how to change
the batteries in the wireless sensors without setting it off, ensuring a
reliable revenue stream for the maintenance company. There's a picture of it
he http://i12.tinypic.com/490cq5x.jpg

Any ideas on what it is and how I perform basic maintenance?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:44:40 -0000, "Simon"
wrote:

[...]

You kidding !!! ? £25 a MONTH !!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Simon" writes:
Hello -

My fairly elderly parents have a fairly elderly alarm system. They are
currently being charged about £25 per month by a maintenance company, and
I'd like to know how easy it would be to do the maintenance myself. FWIW,
they already have several noisy dogs and live in a safe area, so I'm not
sure this thing is worth the cost of the contract. The user manual
identifies it as an Anglian "Defender 3000", but this doesn't generate any
hits in Google; presumably it's a rebadged version of a better known model.

The supplied manuals are very basic and don't even tell you how to change
the batteries in the wireless sensors without setting it off, ensuring a
reliable revenue stream for the maintenance company. There's a picture of it
he http://i12.tinypic.com/490cq5x.jpg

Any ideas on what it is and how I perform basic maintenance?

The alarm probably belongs to the maintenance company, and
you will not have the relevant access codes to maintain it
yourself. Check the contract you have with them.

It looks like a wireless alarm, and if you are happy with
those, just cancel the contract and ask them to collect it
(which they might not bother doing) and buy and install your
own.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Simon" writes:
[...]

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure the alarm was belongs to my
parents - they have the receipts for the initial installation. The
maintenance company (no longer part of Anglian) just replace batteries in
the numerous wireless sensors, check the bellbox, keyfobs and smoke alarm.
The alarm doesn't have a numeric keypad, so presumably it can be put into
maintenance mode by pressing some combination of the buttons in the photo
and the button on the user's keyfob, or using a special engineer's wireless
keyfob, in which case I'm stuffed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:
Hello -

My fairly elderly parents have a fairly elderly alarm system. They are
currently being charged about £25 per month by a maintenance company, and
I'd like to know how easy it would be to do the maintenance myself. FWIW,
they already have several noisy dogs and live in a safe area, so I'm not
sure this thing is worth the cost of the contract. The user manual
identifies it as an Anglian "Defender 3000", but this doesn't generate any
hits in Google; presumably it's a rebadged version of a better known model.

The supplied manuals are very basic and don't even tell you how to change
the batteries in the wireless sensors without setting it off, ensuring a
reliable revenue stream for the maintenance company. There's a picture of it
he http://i12.tinypic.com/490cq5x.jpg

Any ideas on what it is and how I perform basic maintenance?

I had a dead battery, and having been quoted 89 quid for an annual
maintenance contract that appeared to do absolutely nothing, I changed
them myself. Alarm system was something predating ADT, from about 1980.
Not wireless, needless to say.

I made sure it was a dry day, when climbing a ladder to smash the
bejeezus out of the bell box would be a viable option if it all went
pear-shaped.

If any neighbours have small children, make sure they are not asleep.
Insert earplugs.
Turn off power supply to alarm. If that causes the external sounder to
go off, the battery on the internal box is dead. Since your low battery
lightis not showing, I'm presuming the battery is not dead.
Open up the internal box.
Figure out where the tamper switch is.

You have two options:
a) Turn the power back on, press tamper switch, enter alarm code (errr,
can't see how you do this using the front panel, is there a fob?)
Everything should now be silent. If you electrocute yourself doing this,
it isn't my fault, and you'll need to be able to do everything else one
handed, as you'll be pressing the tamper switch in with one hand.

b) Work with the external siren going.

Swap the batteries over. You may, of course, now find that the internal
siren goes off. If it doesn't, it will when you close the box, as you'll
need to release the tamper switch... That's why you need earplugs.

In my case, I changed the batteries, and still had an alarm system that
triggered in a powercut. It turned out that there were a couple of fuses
on the PCB, one of which had blown. These were both standard 1A, and
easily changed.

Dispose of the old battery in an appropriate manner.

For 25 quid a month, you could just buy a new wireless system every year.

Ben

Smoke Alarm Batteries Paul S UK diy 20 December 30th 06 12:12 AM
OT-camera batteries? Olympus C-3000 Gunner Metalworking 20 March 21st 06 03:38 AM
Timex watch alarm quits after battery change Stephen Electronics Repair 7 February 9th 06 05:40 PM
Black Ice Defender John UK diy 52 October 6th 05 12:29 AM
Ultimate smoke alarm - never need to change batteries! Daniel Morrow Electronics 10 October 10th 03 11:08 PM