Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default OT-camera batteries? Olympus C-3000

I was fortunate enough this week, to swap for a minty Olympus C-3000
Zoom digital camera with 128meg smart media. Friend of mine is
upgrading to hip slick and cool wonder camera

Having had some very elderly digital cameras...this thing blows me
away. And its obsolete...chuckle...but is way way cool and will do
EVERYTHING I need a camera to do for me.

I didnt get any batteries with it..he uses nicads and kept them, So I
loaded it up with fresh Alkalines..and got about 10 daylight pictures
out of them....damn thats a battery hungry *******!!!

So Ive been doing some research on digital camera batts this evening,
along with chargers etc

It would appear that everyone is pushing Nickle metal hydride
rechargables.

Which for me..is better..NIMH or NiCads? It may be weeks or longer
before I need to take any pictures and am worried about the self
discharge of the NiMH batts

On the other hand..NiCads appear to be only 800mah at best, based on
ebay descriptions

On the gripping hand...NiMH appear to have over twice the amp hour
rating..1800 is average for AAs, going up to 2500 mah

Is this what I want?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAHA-MH-C204F-CHARGER-w-AA-Batteries-Kit-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ7600147921QQcategoryZ64349QQtcZphotoQ QcmdZViewItem

Or do I want to buy nicads and a smart charger with a conditioner
circuit?

Any input would be appreciated.

Also..anyone have one of these cameras AND the proper AC wall wart? I
need to know the voltage and polarity. The manual I downloaded didnt
have any specs

Thanks

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

I use NiMH batteries in mine and often find them dead when I want to use the
camera because I go weeks between uses. The people I know that take pictures
often recharge their batteries on a regular basis and so it's not a problem
for them.
Karl

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAHA-MH-C204F-CH...Brand-New_W0QQ
itemZ7600147921QQcategoryZ64349QQtcZphotoQQcmdZVie wItem

Or do I want to buy nicads and a smart charger with a conditioner
circuit?

Any input would be appreciated.

Also..anyone have one of these cameras AND the proper AC wall wart? I
need to know the voltage and polarity. The manual I downloaded didnt
have any specs

Thanks

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken

NIMH is what you require.............mine hold a charge for several
weeks, and there is not the memory effect you get with NICADS. These
work fine in my E100RS.

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

snip

I've been using a Maha charger and NiMH batteries for several years for the
external flash on my digicam and have had no problems whatsoever. The
batteries seem to hold a charge for several weeks or more.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Gunner,

10 pix doesn't seem good. My year-old plus Canon Powershot uses 4 of
NiMH AA size rechargeable's, and lasts for some unknown number of pix,
because it has never gone "flat" on me, and I have taken over 50 pix
at a time in fairly rapid succession, admittedly with recently
recharged cells. It has sat for weeks without use, and then taken
over 20, many times, without a problem. Biggest power draw on these
is to recharge the flash capacitors, so try to use the No Flash or
"available light" only setting if you can, just to see if there is a
dramatic difference.

My Canon Users Manual lists either these NiMH or 4 Alkaline's as being
acceptable.

Couple of possibilities.......Unless you bought the best "name-brand"
Alkaline's you did try at a place that sells LOTS of batteries, it's a
good chance they were not up-to-snuff to start off, or that in fact
one of the four was defective, or....from a friend you wouldn't want
to have this happen....but it is possible that your friend was happy
to pass along a well operating but somewhat battery hungry camera.

Take care. Good Luck on it too. Post some pix!!!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article
,
"Karl Vorwerk" wrote:

I use NiMH batteries in mine and often find them dead when I want to use the
camera because I go weeks between uses. The people I know that take pictures
often recharge their batteries on a regular basis and so it's not a problem
for them.
Karl

On the subject of batteries:

Does anyone know what the marketing status is of the new Lithium-Iron
Phosphate batteries is?

Those things _seem_ awesome, 1/4 the size of comparable amp-hour
lead-acid batteries and very fast recharge. (and 4 times the price

Don't know if they'd be crap's worth of use for cameras, but the testing
reports I've seen for other uses are impressive if they're not all
pre-marketing hype.

Experimenters claim things like; 85-minute recharge time from full
discharge, 5000 charge cycles tried with 3000 being warrantable, good
high-rate discharge characteristics.

Haven't had much luck with Google searches as far as marketing status,
etc. so far.
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

I've bought batteries from these folks and been happy with them:

http://www.nicdlady.com/
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/
http://www.sterlingtek.com/index.html

Nicadlady seems to be a bit more expensive, so I usually buy standard
batteries like AA from BatteriesAmerica. I needed a new battery for my
camera (non-standard) and SterlingTek had it at a good price.

As others have said, NiMH is a good way to go, but you must have the
right kind of charger or the batteries won't live very long.

Steve

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:35:26 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

I was fortunate enough this week, to swap for a minty Olympus C-3000
Zoom digital camera with 128meg smart media. Friend of mine is
upgrading to hip slick and cool wonder camera

Congrats. My sister has a Camedia and loves it. I'm happy with my
Nikon Coolpix 995 digital with better macro capabilities.

Having had some very elderly digital cameras...this thing blows me
away. And its obsolete...chuckle...but is way way cool and will do
EVERYTHING I need a camera to do for me.

I didnt get any batteries with it..he uses nicads and kept them, So I
loaded it up with fresh Alkalines..and got about 10 daylight pictures
out of them....damn thats a battery hungry *******!!!

Right, alkalines don't last worth a **** in digicams. I was warned
away from them by the articles on www.pcphotoreview.com and
www.imaging-resource.com .

http://www.steves-digicams.com/c3000.html shows a CR-V3 lithium.
Go with that. (Cha CHING! but worth it.)

So Ive been doing some research on digital camera batts this evening,
along with chargers etc

It would appear that everyone is pushing Nickle metal hydride
rechargables.

NiMH is better technology, with longer life and better power curve.

Which for me..is better..NIMH or NiCads? It may be weeks or longer
before I need to take any pictures and am worried about the self
discharge of the NiMH batts

Nicads self-discharge nastily, too. My Nikon uses Li-ion batts. They
cost me $35 a pop (OUCH!) but are good, long-life batts.

On the other hand..NiCads appear to be only 800mah at best, based on
ebay descriptions

On the gripping hand...NiMH appear to have over twice the amp hour
rating..1800 is average for AAs, going up to 2500 mah

Ayieeeeeeeeeee! Sound the alarm, MOTIES ARE HERE!

Is this what I want?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAHA-MH-C204F-CHARGER-w-AA-Batteries-Kit-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ7600147921QQcategoryZ64349QQtcZphotoQ QcmdZViewItem

Or do I want to buy nicads and a smart charger with a conditioner
circuit?

NiMH or Li-ion, whatever is available. NiCad AA batts have a half life
of about three seconds and a shelf life of a week. I _abhor_ the
smaller NiCads! (Or did 20 years ago when I gave 'em up.) My NiCad
portable power tool batteries last only 3 years or so but shelf life
is extended from what I used to receive from the smaller cells. I use
NiCad only when I'm forced into it.

For S&G, make your own battery pack. Waist-pack the heavier job and
cord it to the camera. My Nikon has an external power plug, does your
Oly?

How about AIR? http://www.zinc.org/zincuses/airbattery.html
Oh, I forgot. You're on my kind of budget. Neevermind.

Cheaper than Lithium is this NiMH pack, but you'll be recharging more
often. Buy several spare sets of batts so you always have a charged
set on hand when (not if) the current set goes dead.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FOR-OLYMPUS-C-30...QQcmdZViewItem

--
"I'm sick and tired of having to rearrange my life
because of what the STUPIDEST people *might* do or
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Devonshire

Many moons ago I had an Olympus D600-L digital
camera. You did good to get 10 pics out of alkaline
batts. I don't recall getting that much service from
them. Upon ejecting the spent batteries I found
them to be quite warm. Them old digital cameras loved
batteries. At the time Ni-cads were a great improvement.
I don't recall their capacity and I don't think the Nimh batteies
were available at that time. Later I did upgrade to the Nimh
batts about 1200mha if I remember correctly and got even
better service from them. Today I'm more impressed with the
Lithium Ion batts that run my EOS 10d. I've shot for more than
half a day on them things. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Lithium ion

batts don't come in the sizes you require.

Devonshire

On the day of Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:35:26 GMT...
Gunner
typed these letters:

[...]

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Gunner wrote:

[...]

For digital cameras, unless there is a Lithium Ion battery available or you
need long shelf life with no charging available, NiMH is the way to go.
There are lithium AA batteries that also work nicely but they are hideously
expensive and not rechargeable--these would be the choice if shelf life was
more important than cost.

The discharge curve for NiCD doesn't work nearly as well with digital
cameras as does NiMH. Alkalines the same.

Two links for batteries if you're into digital photography:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/
http://www.amondotech.com

Note that Thomas Distributing has several rechargeable lithium CRV-3
batteries that should work in that camera, give about the same number of
shots as NiMH and hold a charge much longer in storage. For your use this
might be a better way to go. Downside is that they cost more.

I believe they may have an external lithium ion battery pack that will work
with it as well.

They've also got a wall-wart purpose made for Olympus cameras--it's made by
digipower, and you might want to check http://www.digipowersolutions.com
to be sure of the part number--digipower also lists the voltages with the
product description.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Devonshire

On the day of Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:35:26 GMT...
Gunner
typed these letters:

Also..anyone have one of these cameras AND the proper AC wall wart? I
need to know the voltage and polarity. The manual I downloaded didnt
have any specs

The proper wall wart that was intended for my Olympus was too
expensive so I made one. If your old Olympus is like mine it had an
"odd" sized jack for the wall wart to plug in to on the camera. Oddly
enough, Radio Shack had the correct plug for the jack. My Olympus
D-600L was 6 volt (4 AA bats) On the camera the pin in the jack is
shown to be positive. I found that a 1000mA wall wart was not quite
enough to run a D-600L. I recall hooking a amp meter to the thing and
seeing it draw to the tune of about 1200mA. Which explains why
the alkaline batts wouldn't last. Your camera maybe different, it's
a bit newer than the Olympus that I had. The largest smart meda
card I could use was 8mb. Later models would take up to a 64mb
card. Would you believe I gave like $400 for this camera refurbished?

It retailed for like $1200 when it came out. This was maybe 8 to 10
years ago.

Devonshire
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

In rec.crafts.metalworking Steve Smith wrote:
I've bought batteries from these folks and been happy with them:

http://www.nicdlady.com/
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/
http://www.sterlingtek.com/index.html

If you live near a Target get the Enegizer branded ones as long as they
have HR stamped on the bottom terminal.

HR is the marking for batteries made by Sanyo, which is better than
chinese crap.
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fast-Dual-Charge...QQcmdZViewItem

First example of thousands of hits for "aa batteries charger" on ebay. I
often find sales on 4 Nimh AA bats and charger for $8-$10 at Walleyworld or
camera stores. I have 5 sets of 4. Forget nicads and other chesestry is
too expensive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RWL

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:35:26 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

I was fortunate enough this week, to swap for a minty Olympus C-3000
Zoom digital camera

Which for me..is better..NIMH or NiCads?

I have a couple of sets of RayOVac 15 Minute NIMH AA and AAA
rechargeables and like them a lot. The AAs are 2000 mAh. I use the
erratically and they hold a charge a long time - at least a couple of
months. The batteries and charger are available at Wal Mart. Radio
Shack rebranded the charger and the batteries, but they're available
there also, but at a higher cost than Wal Mart.

It's been awhile since I read on NiCad vs NiMH batteries, but I
believe the NiCads are supposed to have a longer life expectancy.
Technically I'm still using some 10 year old NiCads, but strongly
prefer the 15 minute rechargeables.

With regard to discharging: I routinely discharge my SINGLE CELL
batteries to zero volts - or near that, with a circuit I made using a
single cell battery holder and a 10 Watt resistor for each cell.
Components readily available at Radio Shack. It typically takes over
night or at most a day to completely discharge AA cells that no longer
have adequate reserve to power an electronic device. I don't know
if it's compulsive foolishness or not to do this, but I had read that
it helps to preserve the longevity of NiCads. NiMH's may be
different, but I'm discharging them fully until I read something
authoritative that says it shouldn't be done.

There was a site on the net called Battery University or something
along those lines that had a lot of good information.

RWL

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Green

On 19/03/06 4:35 AM, Gunner wrote:

Is this what I want?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAHA-MH-C204F-CHARGER-w-AA-Batteries-Kit-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ7600147921QQcategoryZ64349QQtcZphotoQ QcmdZViewItem

You need the NiMH batteries for sure and I can highly recommend that
particular charger as I have been using the same model for almost three
years now with no problems. I even have one set of my original NiMH
batteries that came with it and they are still going strong!

The secret is in correctly 'conditioning' the batteries. I condition at
every fifth charge and I made labels that I attach to the base of the
charger and put a check mark in a box every time I charge a set (keep
the batteries in sets if you have more than four!) Once I get to the
fifth charge I press the buttons to condition the set and leave it to do
it's job.

The other nice thing about that charger is that you can also charge AAA
NiMH cells with it and charge either two or four cells at a time. I use
AA cells in my Olympus C-2040 camera (two sets of four so that I can
keep a set charged and ready to go) and AAA cells in the multitude of
portable MP3 and CD players the kids have.

You will also find that it takes a couple of charge/discharge cycles for
the cells to come up to full capacity so don't be surprised if they
don't seem to last very long when you first get them. They will get
better with use!

HTH.

--
Larry Green

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was fortunate enough this week, to swap for a minty Olympus C-3000
Zoom digital camera

Or do I want to buy nicads and a smart charger with a conditioner
circuit?

Here's a brief old review of the 15 minute battery charger I have.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...yovac_ic3.html

RWL

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:44:50 GMT,
(Devonshire) wrote:

[...]

I traded $100 (street value) worth of tooling for it. Ive got maybe $5
in it.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about making an external battery
battery pack for it out of a gel cell and a right angle power
connector

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild Bill

I had the same results with AA alkalines in a HP215 camera. It's about
enough to **** a guy off. After the camera refused to take more
pictures, even though the alkaline batteries weren't depleted (a
load-type battery tester would show that they were still good), I tried
using alkaline C cells in a holder, with a cord plugged into the power
jack on the camera. That didn't work, (error from camera display) and I
think it may have been that the wire size was too small (one of those
coily cords for cell phones).

HP recommended some high energy alkalines that cost about $8-10 for 4
of 'em. I couldn't see spending that kind of money on disposable
batteries.

I found an external power supply branded DigiPower from an eBay seller
that works flawlessly with the power hungry camera. The power supply
isn't the typical wall wart, more like a large AC plug, and has a long
cord (maybe 12-15 ft.).
It's a switchmode PS, and doesn't have a big transformer, so it's very
compact. The output is rated at 2 amps, so the camera doesn't see a
slump in voltage, which is what happened with the AA batteries.
Common wall warts with wound transformers, rectifiers and a capacitor
may not give acceptable performance (even if they're a regulated
voltage PS).

Of course, that doesn't solve the portability issue. I have a low
opinion of nicads (1.2V btw) unless they're made in Japan, from
Digi-Key or another source with good inventory turn-over, ensuring high
quality and fresh stock.
I've been looking at nimh batteries (1.25V, not 1.2V) with chargers at
retail places, and see a lot of combo paks at low prices. I'm not
optimistic of electronic devices made in China, particularly when there
may be a lot of hand soldering involved. The Harbor Freight stuff and
other China products I've bought had very low quality soldering joints,
loose enough to separate with just a slight tug, barely tacked in
place.

The nimh batteries are the latest great performer, and I suspect that
every small manufacturing facility will be turning out ship loads of
inferior products to be bought, then thrown away, by the American
market. While I was at a local Dollar store, I noticed about 6
different 4-cell/charger combo paks. I guesstimate that 4 out of 6 are
probably total crap.. resulting in damaged cells from
over/undercharging, bad assembly work, poor design, bad cells, low
quality components. No way to tell which one might actually work well,
but then they were only $8-10 each.

A good solution for someone that takes a lot of pictures would probably
be a power grip (handle with battery compartment built in, that the
camera mounts to, and a short lead that plugs into the power jack on
the camera), using freshly charged nimh batteries in the camera (and
the grip), and having the extra batteries in the power grip available
if the camera batteries go low.

WB

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

I was fortunate enough this week, to swap for a minty Olympus C-3000
Zoom digital camera with 128meg smart media. Friend of mine is
upgrading to hip slick and cool wonder camera

Having had some very elderly digital cameras...this thing blows me
away. And its obsolete...chuckle...but is way way cool and will do
EVERYTHING I need a camera to do for me.

I didnt get any batteries with it..he uses nicads and kept them, So I
loaded it up with fresh Alkalines..and got about 10 daylight pictures
out of them....damn thats a battery hungry *******!!!

I buy the Energizer Lithium E2s. Not cheap, but about 5 year shelf
life, and over 400 shots with my Kodak 3.1 Megapixel optical zoom
camera, using the LCD viewfinder, and a fair amount of flash. They
handilly outlast a 2100mah Nimh. Nicads for a camera STINK because of
the self discharge. Every time you want to use the camera you need to
recharge the battery. I generally pay less than $4 each for
them.(canadian). They are the blue and silver jobbies - model L91.
The ones I just pulled out of my camera have a 2019 best before date.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:13:46 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/c3000.html shows a CR-V3 lithium.
Go with that. (Cha CHING! but worth it.)

Same technology but cheaper is a pair of Energizer Lithium e2 AA
batteries - L91.
I buy them for about half the price of the CR-V3 or less.

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Retief

wrote:

I didnt get any batteries with it..he uses nicads and kept them, So I
loaded it up with fresh Alkalines..and got about 10 daylight pictures
out of them....damn thats a battery hungry *******!!!

Are you sure that the alkaline batteries are truly dead? Alkalines
don't keep up with the high current draw of some cameras, and
experience voltage droop -- let them sit and they often recover to
some extent (maybe even to what appears as "full charge").

Which for me..is better..NIMH or NiCads? It may be weeks or longer
before I need to take any pictures and am worried about the self
discharge of the NiMH batts

I think the self discharge between them is fairly similar, longer
term. The NiCds will take more abuse before they're destroyed
(unregulated charging, overcharging, etc), but the NiMH will have
better capacity.

NiMH also require a special charger (not the cheapie NiCd chargers).

This is a good link:
http://ibet.asttbc.org/batterys.htm

And some other NiCd/NiMH links I've collected over the years:
http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/memoryeffect.html
http://www.buchmann.ca/chap10-page1.asp
http://www.houseofbatteries.com/HowTo/NiCd.htm
http://www.houseofbatteries.com/HowTo/Secondary.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hayles/charge1.html
http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_NiCd_Battery.html
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/print-partone-4.htm

And for Lead acid applications (since I noticed this link while
looking thru my rechargeable battery tech pages for you Gunner)
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/

I would recommend you save these pages to your HDD, as several of my
old favorite sites have dropped their pages...

On the gripping hand...NiMH appear to have over twice the amp hour
rating..1800 is average for AAs, going up to 2500 mah

And, if you get a decent charger, you can leave the NiMH in the
charger until you need them. If you're worried about self-discharge,
then load the camera with Alkalines for "ready action", if you really
need that, and leave the NiMHs in the charger. I leave the NiMHs in
my camera, and periodically (every 2-3 weeks) swap them out, and run
them through the charger. I've not had any problems so far.

BTW, a warning about wall-warts... Most of them are not regulated, so
if you're worried about providing the correct voltage to your camera,
snip into the +V line, and install a regulator (also, if you're
planning on doing this, then you should get a wall-wart with a voltage
rating a couple volts over your required regulated voltage -- most of
the regulators require about 2 Volts overhead)... Let me know if you
need more info on this.

Retief