Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alarm going off after power cut

We've had a couple of power cuts recently (up to two hours) while we
were out and the alarm was set. Neighbours have said that the alarm has
gone off each time the power has come back on. While the power was off
none of the panel lights were lit and when the power came back on and we
reset it 'Day' and both zones were lit.

Is this expected behaviour?

I thought the battery in the control panel and the one in the bell box
were supposed to deal with power cuts. Could it be that one or both of
the batteries needs to be changed?

The alarm is a Scantronic 9448.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2009 14:27 F wrote:

We've had a couple of power cuts recently (up to two hours) while we
were out and the alarm was set. Neighbours have said that the alarm has
gone off each time the power has come back on. While the power was off
none of the panel lights were lit and when the power came back on and we
reset it 'Day' and both zones were lit.

Is this expected behaviour?

I thought the battery in the control panel and the one in the bell box
were supposed to deal with power cuts. Could it be that one or both of
the batteries needs to be changed?

The alarm is a Scantronic 9448.

Should have added that, according to the neighbours, the sounder sounds
fairly 'wheezy' and underpowered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
We've had a couple of power cuts recently (up to two hours) while we
were out and the alarm was set. Neighbours have said that the alarm
has gone off each time the power has come back on. While the power
was off none of the panel lights were lit and when the power came
back on and we reset it 'Day' and both zones were lit.

Is this expected behaviour?

I thought the battery in the control panel and the one in the bell box
were supposed to deal with power cuts. Could it be that one or both of
the batteries needs to be changed?

The alarm is a Scantronic 9448.

I bought new batteries about 12 months ago, they were about £12 each IIRC,
yours won't be much different in price.
Word to the wise, don't order them off the internet - the P&P doubles the
overall cost - any decent electrical outlet will have them in stock

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , F
wrote
We've had a couple of power cuts recently (up to two hours) while we
were out and the alarm was set. Neighbours have said that the alarm has
gone off each time the power has come back on. While the power was off
none of the panel lights were lit and when the power came back on and
we reset it 'Day' and both zones were lit.

Is this expected behaviour?

I thought the battery in the control panel and the one in the bell box
were supposed to deal with power cuts. Could it be that one or both of
the batteries needs to be changed?

The alarm is a Scantronic 9448.

When this happened to my alarm it was the battery at fault, even though
it was still giving a 12v reading. The batteries don't last forever and
after a few years should be changed.

I suspect that old batteries don't hold a full charge and while they can
maintain the alarm for a short period whilst the mains is off they drag
down one of the power supply lines when the mains comes back on. This
glitch on the internal supply line triggers the alarm. You can test this
yourself by switching off your mains power at the 'fuse' box for a
couple of minutes.

The battery in the bell is used to sound the alarm when someone cuts the
wires to the main control unit.
--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Could it be that one or both of
the batteries needs to be changed?

Sounds like the panel one needs replacing, and possibly the bellbox too.

They are *supposed* to be changed regularly, whne the system is 'serviced'.
Frankly, nobody bothers ;-)

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Al writes:
Could it be that one or both of
the batteries needs to be changed?

Sounds like the panel one needs replacing, and possibly the bellbox too.

They are *supposed* to be changed regularly, whne the system is 'serviced'.
Frankly, nobody bothers ;-)

Battery life depends heavily on the quality of the charging circuit,
and the number of times you've had it run too flat. (A larger capacity
battery is less likely to run flat during a typical power cut.)

Commercial alarms often include a daily battery test cycle, and can
include circuitry to protect against running the battery too flat.
I don't know if these features are found in domestic alarms, but I
suspect certainly not cheaper ones. It could also be that commercial
alarms may have better quality charging circuits.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
F wrote:
We've had a couple of power cuts recently (up to two hours) while we
were out and the alarm was set. Neighbours have said that the alarm
has gone off each time the power has come back on. While the power
was off none of the panel lights were lit and when the power came
back on and we reset it 'Day' and both zones were lit.

Is this expected behaviour?

I thought the battery in the control panel and the one in the bell box
were supposed to deal with power cuts. Could it be that one or both of
the batteries needs to be changed?

The alarm is a Scantronic 9448.

I bought new batteries about 12 months ago, they were about £12 each IIRC,
yours won't be much different in price.
Word to the wise, don't order them off the internet - the P&P doubles the
overall cost - any decent electrical outlet will have them in stock

Are they easy to change without triggering the alarm?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
Phil L wrote:
I bought new batteries about 12 months ago, they were about £12 each IIRC,
yours won't be much different in price.
Word to the wise, don't order them off the internet - the P&P doubles the
overall cost - any decent electrical outlet will have them in stock

IME, they are vastly more expensive in local electrical outlets than
on the Internet. Just make sure you order enough to get free postage.

Are they easy to change without triggering the alarm?

I suspect that depends heavily on the alarm.
On mine, I have to put it into Engineer Test Mode so I can
open the box without it going off, and then doesn't care
about you disconnecting the battery, as long as the mains
stays on. (If left disconnected, it generates a dead battery
alert, but continues working fine otherwise.)

Might want to be careful and check instructions though. I
could imagine a cheap charging circuit might rely on the
battery for voltage stablisation, and the internal electronics
supply voltage might go out of range if the battery is
disconnected.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart
Noble wrote

Are they easy to change without triggering the alarm?

The battery is easy to change - it will have two pull off spade
terminals, perhaps with the aid of a pair of pliers.

Access to the alarm panel will trigger the alarm. It will have an anti
tamper switch.

If you turn off the mains and then remove the battery the alarm may/will
forget all of it's settings so have all the instructions to hand.
Otherwise, leave the mains supply on, remove the case of the panel
(triggering the alarm), quickly change the battery, refit the cover with
one screw and reset/disable the alarm in the normal way.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , Stuart
Noble wrote

Are they easy to change without triggering the alarm?

The battery is easy to change - it will have two pull off spade
terminals, perhaps with the aid of a pair of pliers.

Access to the alarm panel will trigger the alarm. It will have an anti
tamper switch.

If you turn off the mains and then remove the battery the alarm may/will
forget all of it's settings so have all the instructions to hand.
Otherwise, leave the mains supply on, remove the case of the panel
(triggering the alarm), quickly change the battery, refit the cover with
one screw and reset/disable the alarm in the normal way.

Thanks. We don't actually set the alarm any more (inherited a cat and
can't be bothered to change the sensors) but I gather it may still go
off in the event of a power cut if the battery is naff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:27:11 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

We've had a couple of power cuts recently (up to two hours) while we
were out and the alarm was set. Neighbours have said that the alarm has
gone off each time the power has come back on. While the power was off
none of the panel lights were lit and when the power came back on and we
reset it 'Day' and both zones were lit.

Is this expected behaviour?

I thought the battery in the control panel and the one in the bell box
were supposed to deal with power cuts. Could it be that one or both of
the batteries needs to be changed?

The alarm is a Scantronic 9448.

Probably not what you're seeing, but I once had a faulty PIR which false-triggered when its supply
voltage dropped slightly when the panel switched over to battery power. Took 2 Police callouts
before tracing this one....!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Might want to be careful and check instructions though. I
could imagine a cheap charging circuit might rely on the
battery for voltage stablisation, and the internal electronics
supply voltage might go out of range if the battery is
disconnected.

At the cheaper end aren't most backup batteries an option?

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.