Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default All Done by Electricity 1968

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/3061

just been shown on Talking Pictures.

Some nice old fuseboards, modern 3 pin plugs, and a gentleman gets electrocuted in the bath while his wife does the ironing.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 12:30:46 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/3061

just been shown on Talking Pictures.

Some nice old fuseboards, modern 3 pin plugs, and a gentleman gets electrocuted in the bath while his wife does the ironing.

Fascinating. I know some people that could learn from it !!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs, it
had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions showed
it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember the make
now, but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/3061

just been shown on Talking Pictures.

Some nice old fuseboards, modern 3 pin plugs, and a gentleman gets
electrocuted in the bath while his wife does the ironing.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs, it
had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions
showed it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember
the make now, but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today?

I can remember my grandma having an iron with a bayonet fitting. She had an
"extension bayonet" fitting with a male end that plugged into the existing
pendant light fitting, and then straight-through female end for the light
bulb and another female end at 45 degrees for the iron.

https://www.flameport.com/electric_m...52_adaptor.cs4
shows what I mean. until I saw the illustration, I'd forgotten that it
included a switch for *one* of the outlets (just the light bulb, with the
iron being unswitched). Looks as if it's made of genuine Bakelite, as well
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff explained :
Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs, it had
a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions showed it
plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember the make now,
but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today?

Not that unusual back in the day, few people had and wall outlets. You
could even buy BC double adaptors, so you could plug the iron in and
have the bulb lit. Many of the homes with socket outlets, probably only
had a single 5amp two pin in the whole house. I remember my dad running
an electric fire, radio, Christmas tree and later a TV via a multi way
adaptor from a 5amp two pin. If the fuse blew, rewire with an even
bigger wire :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:15:33 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs,
it had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions
showed it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember
the make now, but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today?
Brian

This reminded me of something I saw today.

Q. Is there anything you did when you were young that you would consider
too dangerous today?

A. I wrote to Jim'll Fix It.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff explained :
Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs,
it had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the
instructions showed it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen.
Do not remember the make now, but can you imagine the uproar if one
tried this today?

Not that unusual back in the day, few people had and wall outlets. You
could even buy BC double adaptors, so you could plug the iron in and
have the bulb lit. Many of the homes with socket outlets, probably only
had a single 5amp two pin in the whole house. I remember my dad running
an electric fire, radio, Christmas tree and later a TV via a multi way
adaptor from a 5amp two pin. If the fuse blew, rewire with an even
bigger wire :-)

when we got our first house in 1964, it had had a 1946 rewi 4 15A power
points (one in each bedrooom and one in the kitchen). There was also a 2
pin 5 A socket in the sitting room. That was it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles formulated on Monday :
when we got our first house in 1964, it had had a 1946 rewi 4 15A power
points (one in each bedrooom and one in the kitchen). There was also a 2
pin 5 A socket in the sitting room. That was it.

Luxury..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles formulated on Monday :
when we got our first house in 1964, it had had a 1946 rewi 4 15A
power points (one in each bedrooom and one in the kitchen). There was
also a 2 pin 5 A socket in the sitting room. That was it.

Luxury..

indeeed, The house cost £4000!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 July 2019 22:54:59 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles formulated on Monday :
when we got our first house in 1964, it had had a 1946 rewi 4 15A
power points (one in each bedrooom and one in the kitchen). There was
also a 2 pin 5 A socket in the sitting room. That was it.

Luxury..

indeeed, The house cost £4000!

I bought a house in 1970 for £400.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 July 2019 20:30:48 UTC+1, wrote:
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/3061

just been shown on Talking Pictures.

Some nice old fuseboards, modern 3 pin plugs, and a gentleman gets electrocuted in the bath while his wife does the ironing.

I can remember installing such stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes even in the 1970s you could by fairy lights all wired in series across
the mains, usually 20 bulbs with one fusible bulb which had bayonet
connector on one end.
Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in hard
plastic mouldings.
Brian

--
----- --

"NY" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs, it
had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions
showed it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember
the make now, but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today?

I can remember my grandma having an iron with a bayonet fitting. She had
an "extension bayonet" fitting with a male end that plugged into the
existing pendant light fitting, and then straight-through female end for
the light bulb and another female end at 45 degrees for the iron.

https://www.flameport.com/electric_m...52_adaptor.cs4
shows what I mean. until I saw the illustration, I'd forgotten that it
included a switch for *one* of the outlets (just the light bulb, with the
iron being unswitched). Looks as if it's made of genuine Bakelite, as well
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ha ha, I will drag this back on topic but before I do, would one get away
with Billy Connolly's song In the Brownies after recent revelations?
So back on topic. I have to say that to my shame up stairs in a four way
socket bar is a wall wart of the 2 pin shaver plug type which I managed to
get into the two live terminals of the 13amp socket by pushing the shutter
open with a screwdriver in the earth hole. Ahem.
I'm sure in the past many people used wires wedged into 5 amp sockets just
to test the device of course.
I also had a tap output from a live chassis TV by using a small isolating
transformer and earthing the live chassis on the other side.
Brian

--
----- --

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:15:33 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs,
it had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions
showed it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember
the make now, but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today?
Brian

This reminded me of something I saw today.

Q. Is there anything you did when you were young that you would consider
too dangerous today?

A. I wrote to Jim'll Fix It.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone I Remember those weird connectors on vacuum cleaners with two
pins and if you were lucky and earthed strap on the sides that connected to
springs on the inside of the socket which had the pins. These were always
working loose and getting hot and sparking and it was quite common to see
them held together with tape and the sockets mended with araldite. It seems
we did not really take electrical safety very seriously back then.
It was not that long ago that electric lawn mowers had isolator cut outs
on the house end of their cables. I still have on in a drawer.
Both my sheds nearly always had some 2 pin plugs, very handy with those
plugs that you just poked the wires under loops and did the lid up to clamp
them.
Brian

--
----- --

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 29 July 2019 20:30:48 UTC+1, wrote:
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/3061

just been shown on Talking Pictures.

Some nice old fuseboards, modern 3 pin plugs, and a gentleman gets
electrocuted in the bath while his wife does the ironing.

I can remember installing such stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 July 2019 07:42:08 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes even in the 1970s you could by fairy lights all wired in series across
the mains, usually 20 bulbs with one fusible bulb which had bayonet
connector on one end.

We had them in kindergarten. Every Christmas we added to the effect by making little paper lanterns to fit over the hot filament bulbs.

Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in hard
plastic mouldings.

We also had a squirrel in a cage in the classroom and were told not to put our fingers through the wire.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And in my recently rewired house, there a

10 doubles in dining room

6 doubles in lounge

5 doubles in kitchen plus 3 fused spurs for kitchen appliances

All of the 5 bedrooms have 5 or 6 doubles....

Not only that, all rooms now have between 3 to 4 multimedia plates comprising of Freesat, Freeview, FM, DAB, telephone, networking, cable TV, and proper foreign satellite.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :
Both my sheds nearly always had some 2 pin plugs, very handy with those
plugs that you just poked the wires under loops and did the lid up to clamp
them.

I well remember those two pin plugs - like a brass split pin, for the
contact pins. You just stuck the bared wire through the top loop and
the tightening of the threaded cover, forced the 'split pins' tight
onto the bared wires. I also kept a 5amp socket and such a plug in my
workshop for years, as a quick connect. Then along came those made for
the quick connect job things - three clips (L+N+E) mounted in a plastic
body, fused, where contact to the supply was only made as the lid was
closed up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff pretended :
Yes even in the 1970s you could by fairy lights all wired in series across
the mains, usually 20 bulbs with one fusible bulb which had bayonet connector
on one end.
Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in hard
plastic mouldings.

I still see lots of those lethal sets around. I saw some for sale last
week on a second hand stall in a market.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 20:30, wrote:
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/3061

just been shown on Talking Pictures.

Some nice old fuseboards, modern 3 pin plugs, and a gentleman gets electrocuted in the bath while his wife does the ironing.

Owain

Not to mention the Supataps!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Yes even in the 1970s you could by fairy lights all wired in series across
the mains, usually 20 bulbs with one fusible bulb which had bayonet
connector on one end.
Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in hard
plastic mouldings.

But hardly anyone died.

"NY" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs,
it had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions
showed it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember
the make now, but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today?

I can remember my grandma having an iron with a bayonet fitting. She had
an "extension bayonet" fitting with a male end that plugged into the
existing pendant light fitting, and then straight-through female end for
the light bulb and another female end at 45 degrees for the iron.

https://www.flameport.com/electric_m...52_adaptor.cs4
shows what I mean. until I saw the illustration, I'd forgotten that it
included a switch for *one* of the outlets (just the light bulb, with the
iron being unswitched). Looks as if it's made of genuine Bakelite, as
well ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 20:06:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in hard
plastic mouldings.

But hardly anyone died.

Define "hardly", senile Mr Know-it-all!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 July 2019 09:15:17 UTC+1, wrote:
Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :

Both my sheds nearly always had some 2 pin plugs, very handy with those
plugs that you just poked the wires under loops and did the lid up to clamp
them.

I well remember those two pin plugs - like a brass split pin, for the
contact pins. You just stuck the bared wire through the top loop and
the tightening of the threaded cover, forced the 'split pins' tight
onto the bared wires. I also kept a 5amp socket and such a plug in my
workshop for years, as a quick connect. Then along came those made for
the quick connect job things - three clips (L+N+E) mounted in a plastic
body, fused, where contact to the supply was only made as the lid was
closed up.

for some vague value of tight. Clix plugs etc. At least the nylon ones gripped better than the bakelite did. And no cord grip or earth.

Scarier were the IDC mains plugs. Each plug pin had a prong on its side, and moving them from splayed out to operating position skewered the mains flex. But there was nothing firm about it, the connection was I'm sure abysmal.. I don't recall the name of those ones.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 21:38, NY wrote:
I can remember my grandma having an iron with a bayonet fitting. She had
an "extension bayonet" fitting with a male end that plugged into the
existing pendant light fitting, and then straight-through female end for
the light bulb and another female end at 45 degrees for the iron.

I still have one of those useful adapters in my box of electrical
oddd'n'ends. The 45 degree spur also has an on-off switch, for 'safety'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote

Yes even in the 1970s you could by fairy lights all wired in series
across the mains, usually 20 bulbs with one fusible bulb which had
bayonet connector on one end.
Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in
hard plastic mouldings.

But hardly anyone died.

I wonder how many deaths (or injuries such as falling off ladders etc due to
muscle convulsions caused by shock) would be needed to lift it out of the
"hardly any" category.

I have had a mains shock in this situation where someone had cut and
rejoined one of the series wires using a terminal block. I made the
elementary, infantile mistake of thinking "there's only 12 V across each of
these bulbs, so it's safe", forgetting that as soon as you break the circuit
and replace the resistance of one bulb with the much higher resistance of
the human body, almost all the voltage drop is across the body and only a
small amount (proportional to lamp resistances relative to the body's) is
across the lamps. Ouch! Thanks goodness for the RCD tripping...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 21:56, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:15:33 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs,
it had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions
showed it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember
the make now, but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today?
Brian

This reminded me of something I saw today.

Q. Is there anything you did when you were young that you would consider
too dangerous today?

A. I wrote to Jim'll Fix It.

I was watching Gloria Honey**** on BBC1 at 11AM presenting
a progam on how to live longer.

They were asking a group of Centenians what they did to get to that
ripe old age and one old bloke said 'Avoid Turnip like the plague'.

Indeed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 20:30, wrote:
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/3061

just been shown on Talking Pictures.

Some nice old fuseboards, modern 3 pin plugs, and a gentleman gets electrocuted in the bath while his wife does the ironing.

Owain

If you have a complete comb-over, as the presenter has,
how does your hair stand on end after a shock ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

Does anyone I Remember those weird connectors on vacuum cleaners with two
pins and if you were lucky and earthed strap on the sides that connected to
springs on the inside of the socket which had the pins. These were always
working loose and getting hot and sparking ...

Yes, rather atupid place for a conector. Captive mains leads
today are much better.

However, the basic connector you described, although
physically very different, worked in the same way as the
Schuko connector used in most European countries.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote on 30/07/2019 :
Isn't there a limit on the number of sockets allowed on a ring main,
or is it just the area served ?.

Area..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I do have six ring mains in this house....

Kitchen and utility
Lounge and master bedroom
Dining room and bedroom above it
3rd reception room and dormer bedroom and office
Loft sockets
Outside sockets.

I don't think there is a limit on the number of sockets on a ring main, but I think there is a maximum area limit of 100m2.

In any case, you do have to think about the prospective loads on the ring main which is why there is a ring main dedicated to the kitchen and utility room.

The outside sockets are on their own RCBO so that if anything happens outside, it does not affect anything in the house.

The loft ring main is on account of the computer equipment and TV/radio headend & multiswitches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 July 2019 16:48:09 UTC+1, Terry Casey wrote:
In article b1180219-38c9-4130-a34e-b7b2d5038462
@googlegroups.com, tabbypurr says...

Clix plugs etc. At least the nylon ones gripped better than
the bakelite did. And no cord grip or earth.

Don't remember nylon ones but you are wrong about the cord
grip. Not the screwed type as found on 13A plugs, I'll grant
you but the same method as used on BC light lockets, if
correctly fitted. The insulated conductors were looped around
moulded hooks and were very secure.

that certainly was not my experience. Sure they had an excuse for a cordgrip, but it was hopeless. There was more than one type you know.

Visualise a hefty glass lamp shade and bulb with a BC
connector dangling on the end of a bit of flex.

They didn't keep crashing to the floor did they? (If correctly
fitted, of course.) They were a lot stronger than you think!

I don't recall giving any indication of how strong I thought those were.
They don't crash down because people are seldom fool enough to overload them. I've certainly had luninaires that would have no chance of being supported by those loopy roses.

Scarier were the IDC mains plugs. Each plug pin had a prong on its side, and moving them from splayed out to operating position skewered the mains flex. But there was nothing firm about it, the connection was I'm sure abysmal. I don't recall the name of those ones.

Don't remember ever seeing anything like that. (I'm pleased to
say!)

I only ever had one, refused to use it. It had no clamping force holding the conductor against the prong at all. And of course no cordgrip, earth, polarity or fuse.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The rings also support high integrity earthing and the sockets have two earth terminals each... This precludes the use of a radial.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And not only that, a radial is only rated to 20a whereas a ring main is rated to 32a which is a better choice for high load areas like a kitchen or the loft it and headend/multiswitches
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Still got some and much later than 70s - and no-one has been killed so
perhaps you meant potentially lethal.
In article , Brian Gaff
writes
Yes even in the 1970s you could by fairy lights all wired in series across
the mains, usually 20 bulbs with one fusible bulb which had bayonet
connector on one end.
Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in hard
plastic mouldings.
Brian

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Yes even in the 1970s you could by fairy lights all wired in series
across the mains, usually 20 bulbs with one fusible bulb which had
bayonet connector on one end.

Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in
hard plastic mouldings.

But hardly anyone died.

I wonder how many deaths (or injuries such as falling off ladders etc due
to muscle convulsions caused by shock) would be needed to lift it out of
the "hardly any" category.

Certainly a lot more deaths than say one a year and there werent even that
many.

Same with little kids sticking their fingers into normal light
bulb sockets with the light turned on or sticking metal into
the older unshuttered power points with them turned on
or plugging leads that had been cut off appliances into
a power point and grabbing the bare wire ends.

I have had a mains shock in this situation where someone had cut and
rejoined one of the series wires using a terminal block. I made the
elementary, infantile mistake of thinking "there's only 12 V across each
of these bulbs, so it's safe", forgetting that as soon as you break the
circuit and replace the resistance of one bulb with the much higher
resistance of the human body, almost all the voltage drop is across the
body and only a small amount (proportional to lamp resistances relative to
the body's) is across the lamps. Ouch! Thanks goodness for the RCD
tripping...

I managed it myself, twice now. The first time when building the house,
doing
the pointing of the block work in the dark after a long day block laying. I
used
PAR38 flood lights on extension cords just lying on the wooden planks I had
on 44 gallon oil drums that I used instead of scaffolding. The PAR38 bulbs
didn’t like the vibration from walking on the planks much when running
turned on so the bulb life wasn’t brilliant. When one of them went out
again,
with me left in the dark, I ran my hand along the cord to get to the bulb to
replace it and ended up with bare wires in my hand. Turned out that the
cord had pulled right out of the bulb holder instead of a failed bulb.

Decades later I used to power the wifi repeater half way down my
back neighbours back yard from my place using long extension
cord that lay on the ground across my back gate. One of the high
school kids that used to hang around the back gate smoking
so the school wouldn’t see them there had cut that cord in spite
because I used to **** them off for smoking there.

My back neighbour had reported that the wifi repeater had
stopped again so I went out to see why and was talking to
him when I saw the cut cord and absent minded touched
the cut end of the cord while showing him that and got a
shock from that.

Don't have any RCDs here because the house was built in the very
early 70s by me. Didn’t get even a visible burn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 17:47:14 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Andrew wrote on 30/07/2019 :
Isn't there a limit on the number of sockets allowed on a ring main,
or is it just the area served ?.

Area..

Is there not also a limit on length?