Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default All Done by Electricity 1968

On Tuesday, 30 July 2019 16:48:09 UTC+1, Terry Casey wrote:
In article b1180219-38c9-4130-a34e-b7b2d5038462
@googlegroups.com, tabbypurr says...

Clix plugs etc. At least the nylon ones gripped better than
the bakelite did. And no cord grip or earth.

Don't remember nylon ones but you are wrong about the cord
grip. Not the screwed type as found on 13A plugs, I'll grant
you but the same method as used on BC light lockets, if
correctly fitted. The insulated conductors were looped around
moulded hooks and were very secure.

that certainly was not my experience. Sure they had an excuse for a cordgrip, but it was hopeless. There was more than one type you know.

Visualise a hefty glass lamp shade and bulb with a BC
connector dangling on the end of a bit of flex.

They didn't keep crashing to the floor did they? (If correctly
fitted, of course.) They were a lot stronger than you think!

I don't recall giving any indication of how strong I thought those were.
They don't crash down because people are seldom fool enough to overload them. I've certainly had luninaires that would have no chance of being supported by those loopy roses.

Scarier were the IDC mains plugs. Each plug pin had a prong on its side, and moving them from splayed out to operating position skewered the mains flex. But there was nothing firm about it, the connection was I'm sure abysmal. I don't recall the name of those ones.

Don't remember ever seeing anything like that. (I'm pleased to
say!)

I only ever had one, refused to use it. It had no clamping force holding the conductor against the prong at all. And of course no cordgrip, earth, polarity or fuse.

NT