Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crabtree Starbreaker CU

I've got one of these. Really can't remember when I installed it. It's
split load and conformed to the then regs, if that helps. I'd guess at mid
90s.

I have a separate radial for the AV equipment, and that (I think) tripped
the RCD today. Not really surprised given the number of SMPS on it.
Unplugged things not in use immediately and it fired up and held. My guess
is the recently installed (but quite old) desktop PC.

There are two spare ways on the non RCD side, so would like to swap the AV
radial to there on an RCBO. But there appears to be more than one
Starbreaker design. Any tips on how to identify the right one from an Ebay
pic?

--
*When chemists die, they barium.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

I've got one of these. Really can't remember when I installed it. It's
split load and conformed to the then regs, if that helps. I'd guess at mid
90s.

I have a separate radial for the AV equipment, and that (I think) tripped
the RCD today. Not really surprised given the number of SMPS on it.
Unplugged things not in use immediately and it fired up and held. My guess
is the recently installed (but quite old) desktop PC.

There are two spare ways on the non RCD side, so would like to swap the AV
radial to there on an RCBO. But there appears to be more than one
Starbreaker design. Any tips on how to identify the right one from an Ebay
pic?

I need a photo of the CU to help you.

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?
--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 19:27:29 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got one of these. Really can't remember when I installed it. It's
split load and conformed to the then regs, if that helps. I'd guess at mid
90s.

I have a separate radial for the AV equipment, and that (I think) tripped
the RCD today. Not really surprised given the number of SMPS on it.
Unplugged things not in use immediately and it fired up and held. My guess
is the recently installed (but quite old) desktop PC.

There are two spare ways on the non RCD side, so would like to swap the AV
radial to there on an RCBO. But there appears to be more than one
Starbreaker design. Any tips on how to identify the right one from an Ebay
pic?

Crabtree and Wylex are parts of the same company. Measuring as well as I
can, it seems that a miniature RCBO wil fit in place of an MCB. Has the
advantage of breaking N as well.
My board is Wylex from about '91 - '92, so possibly similar to yours.
https://www.electrium.co.uk/products
https://www.electrium.co.uk/products...ub=AAW&level=3

I've been looking at Wylex min. RCBOs on ebay - they're available and a lot
cheaper than from the usual sources but I don't know about Crabtree,
although it might not matter.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PeterC
wrote:
[...]

Thanks - but no pics to help me identify. One of the Crabtree ones on Ebay
do seem to look the same, though - the other very different.

--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
I've got one of these. Really can't remember when I installed it. It's
split load and conformed to the then regs, if that helps. I'd guess at mid
90s.

I have a separate radial for the AV equipment, and that (I think)
tripped the RCD today. Not really surprised given the number of SMPS
on it. Unplugged things not in use immediately and it fired up and
held. My guess is the recently installed (but quite old) desktop PC.

There are two spare ways on the non RCD side, so would like to swap
the AV radial to there on an RCBO. But there appears to be more than
one Starbreaker design. Any tips on how to identify the right one from
an Ebay pic?

I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

--
*DOES THE LITTLE MERMAID WEAR AN ALGEBRA?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
[...]

I can probably tell from your front cover.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

It was a long day....

That is the same CU I fitted at my brothers house and at my parent's
holiday apartment. Both were then updated to the 17th edition by
installing RCBOs like these

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrica...brand=crabtree

If you want I'll have a look on the shelf tomorrow at work. If we have
one it's yours for the postage costs.

How critical is the C16 rating? Would a B16, B20 or a C20 be acceptable
if there are no C16s?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

And the last two MCBs on the right were fitted 5 years later?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And a B16 MCB for ground floor lights? Has the OP got 500 watt halogen lighting units? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

Dave you should have email showing my brothers CU.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/06/2019 20:17, wrote:
And a B16 MCB for ground floor lights? Has the OP got 500 watt halogen lighting units? :-)

Could be fine for 1.5mm T&E.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably at or over the limit for 1.5mm dependent on what it's clipped to.

Typically for 20A circuits, 2.5mm is the minimum required...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
And a B16 MCB for ground floor lights? Has the OP got 500 watt halogen lighting units? :-)

At one time, more than a 6 would handle. If everything on full belt.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

Dave you should have email showing my brothers CU.

Yes - thanks Adam. Helped be identify the ones on Ebay. I was just
surprised how different the bit which shows looked.

--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

And the last two MCBs on the right were fitted 5 years later?

I bought the unit off Ebay at a (much) better price than I could find from
my usual suppiers, but with a set number of MCBs. Got the extra ones
locally.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

And the last two MCBs on the right were fitted 5 years later?

I bought the unit off Ebay at a (much) better price than I could find from
my usual suppiers, but with a set number of MCBs. Got the extra ones
locally.

Same breaker, just Crabtree made them slightly greyer some time in the
90's. It must have been a marketing ploy.

You probably got the CU cheaper because it was the "old whiter stuff":-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

Dave you should have email showing my brothers CU.

Yes - thanks Adam. Helped be identify the ones on Ebay. I was just
surprised how different the bit which shows looked.

It's good job you could find one one EBay as we do not have any.

Any reason why the kitchen sockets have no RCD protection?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
I need a photo of the CU to help you.

https://i.ibb.co/dtMPG1R/20190619-141536.jpg

Are they the "plug in" MCBs?

Hmm. Can't remember. I'd need to take off the cover to check.

I can probably tell from your front cover.

That's what the link above is to. ;-)

Dave you should have email showing my brothers CU.

Yes - thanks Adam. Helped be identify the ones on Ebay. I was just
surprised how different the bit which shows looked.

It's good job you could find one one EBay as we do not have any.

It arrived this morning.

Any reason why the kitchen sockets have no RCD protection?

Possibility of leaking heaters in washing machine, etc?

I'm single so don't need to worry about others doing stupid things, and
everything is left plugged in anyway.

But I might well fit an RCBO to that too now.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Any reason why the kitchen sockets have no RCD protection?

Possibility of leaking heaters in washing machine, etc?

I'm single so don't need to worry about others doing stupid things, and
everything is left plugged in anyway.

But I might well fit an RCBO to that too now.

Fair enough. I was just curious. Although that would have passed the
16th edition if the sockets are not on the ground floor and so unlikely
to be used for outdoor equipment.

Cheers

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:

Any reason why the kitchen sockets have no RCD protection?

Possibility of leaking heaters in washing machine, etc?

I'm single so don't need to worry about others doing stupid things, and
everything is left plugged in anyway.

But I might well fit an RCBO to that too now.

Fair enough. I was just curious. Although that would have passed the
16th edition if the sockets are not on the ground floor and so unlikely
to be used for outdoor equipment.

They are. But I have outdoor sockets anyway with their own RCDs -
installed before that CU.

Cheers

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:

Any reason why the kitchen sockets have no RCD protection?

Possibility of leaking heaters in washing machine, etc?

I'm single so don't need to worry about others doing stupid things, and
everything is left plugged in anyway.

But I might well fit an RCBO to that too now.

Fair enough. I was just curious. Although that would have passed the
16th edition if the sockets are not on the ground floor and so unlikely
to be used for outdoor equipment.

They are. But I have outdoor sockets anyway with their own RCDs -
installed before that CU.

I know this does not apply to you but that is a good example of why the
sockets should be RCD protected in a plebs house.
They have say a faulty lawnmower that trips the RCD outdoor socket so
they then plug it into a kitchen socket.

--
Adam