Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

Default Crabtree electrical fittings...

I'm replacing all of my downstairs switches and sockets with teh fancy
gunmetal onces from Screwfit (made by crabtree). The only problem until now
was that while they do the slave telephone socket, they dont do master
telephone sockets, and as out master socket is in a prominent position in
the hall, it is going to look kind of odd. I figured I could but a blank
plate fromthe fancy gunmetal range, and a regular master phone socket, and
make something myself.

However, on removing one of the two ways light switches, (which I had
ordered a 1g2w gunmetal replacement) I found that it has four terminals.
Thinking about what the two-way wiring diagram looks like, it is now obious
this is a Normally Open and a normall closed switch in one assembly to make
a changeover arrangement. It now seems like 1g2w "intermediate" switches are
available in the bog standard ranges, but not in the fancy gunmetal range.
Arse.

I dont really want to remove this switch altogether, but I also dont want a
white plastic one, as it'll spoil the look.

Screwfix dont sell intermediate switches in this range, but that doesnt mean
crabtree dont make them. Problem is, I cant find any sensbile trace of
crabtree on t'interne to follow up on...

Any ideas ?
Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:52:02 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Styles"
wrote:

[...]

Go to the Wylex etc site .at
http://www.electrium.co.uk/
They are part of that group

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

Thanks!

That was the magic rune I was after. Funny that Google didnt pull out the
electrium website...

Cheers
Chris

Go to the Wylex etc site .at
http://www.electrium.co.uk/
They are part of that group

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:20:54 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Styles"
wrote:

Thanks!

That was the magic rune I was after. Funny that Google didnt pull out the
electrium website...

Cheers
Chris

It did for me earlier when I was looking for Wylex's site

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Wylex&meta=

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Chris Styles wrote:

I'm replacing all of my downstairs switches and sockets with teh fancy
gunmetal onces from Screwfit (made by crabtree). The only problem until now
was that while they do the slave telephone socket, they dont do master
telephone sockets, and as out master socket is in a prominent position in
the hall, it is going to look kind of odd. I figured I could but a blank
plate fromthe fancy gunmetal range, and a regular master phone socket, and
make something myself.

Use the slave, but keep the master located somewhere out of sight. (you
really ought to retain the surge arrestor and test resistor present in
the real BT master - otherwise you could turn your metal secondary into
what they call a PBX master (i.e. provides it's own ring line) by the
addition of a 10uF bipolar electrolytic cap between pins 2 & 3 on the
socket).

However, on removing one of the two ways light switches, (which I had
ordered a 1g2w gunmetal replacement) I found that it has four terminals.
Thinking about what the two-way wiring diagram looks like, it is now obious
this is a Normally Open and a normall closed switch in one assembly to make
a changeover arrangement. It now seems like 1g2w "intermediate" switches are
available in the bog standard ranges, but not in the fancy gunmetal range.
Arse.

Gets messy but you could use an ordinary switch and a relay instead...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Chris Styles wrote:

I'm replacing all of my downstairs switches and sockets with teh fancy
gunmetal onces from Screwfit (made by crabtree). The only problem until now
was that while they do the slave telephone socket, they dont do master
telephone sockets, and as out master socket is in a prominent position in
the hall, it is going to look kind of odd. I figured I could but a blank
plate fromthe fancy gunmetal range, and a regular master phone socket, and
make something myself.

Use the slave, but keep the master located somewhere out of sight. (you
really ought to retain the surge arrestor and test resistor present in
the real BT master - otherwise you could turn your metal secondary into
what they call a PBX master (i.e. provides it's own ring line) by the
addition of a 10uF bipolar electrolytic cap between pins 2 & 3 on the
socket).

you'll need the R too, else they'll send an engineer out to see whats
wrong.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Styles wrote:
I'm replacing all of my downstairs switches and sockets with teh fancy
gunmetal onces from Screwfit (made by crabtree). The only problem until
now was that while they do the slave telephone socket, they dont do
master telephone sockets, and as out master socket is in a prominent
position in the hall, it is going to look kind of odd. I figured I
could but a blank plate fromthe fancy gunmetal range, and a regular
master phone socket, and make something myself.

Have you looked at their slave socket? They often share the same PCB as a
master but with the components not present. So should be possible to swop
them from any other master.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.