Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson V59 charger - Replace?

I have a charger for a Dyson V59. The nominal output voltage is 26v. My
meter shows the actual output voltage when not charging is 23.1v

I use the charger with a Dyson V6 and when I put the V6 on the charger
all I get is a clicking noise from the motor. There is no blue light on
the battery.

Should I conclude that the charger needs to be replaced? I don't suppose
that anyone has checked the output voltage of a known good charger.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

The question is, why should the motor even be active when charging the
unit?

Because that’s how the better rechargeable do it.

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
I have a charger for a Dyson V59. The nominal output voltage is 26v. My
meter shows the actual output voltage when not charging is 23.1v

I use the charger with a Dyson V6 and when I put the V6 on the charger
all I get is a clicking noise from the motor. There is no blue light on
the battery.

Should I conclude that the charger needs to be replaced? I don't suppose
that anyone has checked the output voltage of a known good charger.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 23:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
The question is, why should the motor even be active when charging the unit?
Brian

Possibly because the on/off switch is faulty and stuck in the on
position. In this scenario the charger cannot provide enough power to
charge the battery and run the machine at the same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 16/06/2019, Michael Chare supposed :
I have a charger for a Dyson V59. The nominal output voltage is 26v. My meter
shows the actual output voltage when not charging is 23.1v

Checking the voltage without a suitable load, is absolutely
meaningless.

Many chargers don't output a voltage to a battery, unless they 'see'
the voltage of a battery at the output.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 08:34:42 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The question is, why should the motor even be active when charging the
unit?

Because that¢s how the better rechargeable do it.

NONSENSE!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2019 08:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 16/06/2019, Michael Chare supposed :
I have a charger for a Dyson V59. The nominal output voltage is 26v.
My meter shows the actual output voltage when not charging is 23.1v

Checking the voltage without a suitable load, is absolutely meaningless.

Many chargers don't output a voltage to a battery, unless they 'see' the
voltage of a battery at the output.

I removed the battery unit from the rest of the device and tried
charging it by itself. It does not charge and I can't measure any
voltage on the ouput terminals even when I press the power on switch.

The charger now shows a voltage of 6.3v with no load.

The battery unit was a non Dyson replacement bought on ebay last
December. There is a 1 year warranty. I ordered another ebay non Dyson
replacement which cost a little less and surprisingly has a 3 year
warranty. The battery units contain the switch and some electronics. It
appears impossible to take them apart without destoying the outer
plastic shell.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare submitted this idea :
The charger now shows a voltage of 6.3v with no load.

I would expect the charger's voltage to just wander aimlessly about, it
means nothing at all without a loud applied to it.

Even a flat battery should have some voltage across it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2019 18:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Michael Chare submitted this idea :
The charger now shows a voltage of 6.3v with no load.

I would expect the charger's voltage to just wander aimlessly about, it
means nothing at all without a loud applied to it.

Even a flat battery should have some voltage across it.

I did take the cover off the previous battery unit and it did contain
some electronics. It is a pity I threw it out as I could have used it to
try and work out which bit is faulty. The electromics might cut off the
output terminals when the six battery cells themselves are discharged
normally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 June 2019 17:46:30 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/06/2019 08:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 16/06/2019, Michael Chare supposed :
I have a charger for a Dyson V59. The nominal output voltage is 26v.
My meter shows the actual output voltage when not charging is 23.1v

Checking the voltage without a suitable load, is absolutely meaningless.

Many chargers don't output a voltage to a battery, unless they 'see' the
voltage of a battery at the output.

I removed the battery unit from the rest of the device and tried
charging it by itself. It does not charge and I can't measure any
voltage on the ouput terminals even when I press the power on switch.

The charger now shows a voltage of 6.3v with no load.

I have a dyson V6 fluffy here, I've just checked the PSU voltage from the 2.1mm barrel conector without a load and it's 26.3V .

The battery unit was a non Dyson replacement bought on ebay last
December. There is a 1 year warranty. I ordered another ebay non Dyson
replacement which cost a little less and surprisingly has a 3 year
warranty.

So send it back it;s only been 6 months or so.

Unless the company can and does actaully honour the warrenty then the warrenty is meaningless, you can give a 100 year warranty.

The battery units contain the switch and some electronics. It
appears impossible to take them apart without destoying the outer
plastic shell.

Making the warrenty invalid I assume.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2019 11:12, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 17 June 2019 17:46:30 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/06/2019 08:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 16/06/2019, Michael Chare supposed :
I have a charger for a Dyson V59. The nominal output voltage is 26v.
My meter shows the actual output voltage when not charging is 23.1v

Checking the voltage without a suitable load, is absolutely meaningless.

Many chargers don't output a voltage to a battery, unless they 'see' the
voltage of a battery at the output.

I removed the battery unit from the rest of the device and tried
charging it by itself. It does not charge and I can't measure any
voltage on the ouput terminals even when I press the power on switch.

The charger now shows a voltage of 6.3v with no load.

I have a dyson V6 fluffy here, I've just checked the PSU voltage from the 2.1mm barrel conector without a load and it's 26.3V .

Thanks. The V6 works fine with a replacement battery unit which just
arrived.

Michael Chare

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

I have a dyson V6 fluffy

I'd be ashamed to admit I had a vacuum that looked like a prop from
Ghostbusters ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Michael Chare, Conrad wrote:
My Dyson SV10 appears to be not charging. It worked the last time we used it ,
then we hung it to charge and hasnt worked since. There is a flashing blue
light when its on charge but stays at one bar.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1367102-.htm