Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default netbook connectivity problem.

On 05/06/2019 20:28, Brian Gaff wrote:

Home networks rarely require certificates to connect to wifi (it's more
for corporate networks)

Yes its normally a corporate thing to stop insecure machines being on the
system.

More the other way around - it allows the client of the network to
ascertain that the network is in fact the genuine thing. Otherwise, a
black hat could stick up a "phishing" wifi network with the same name as
the company one, and wait for devices to connect and try and
authenticate. Either for a MITM attack or just attempting to steal
credentials.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 20:45, ss wrote:
What is the hardware?
What is it connecting to?

Win xp
virgin wi-fi

What is 'virgin wifi'

The internet as far as I am concerned.
This end of computers I have not a clue I have never in 20 years had to
connect one to the internet hence my issues I dont even understand the
terminology, I am having to google it as I read these posts.

Does the machine work ok if you connect it vial a lan cable directly to
the router?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 12:12, ss wrote:
On 06/06/2019 10:26, ss wrote:
On 06/06/2019 10:06, Robert wrote:
Is the date correct on the netbook ?

yes the date is correct.

The issue appears to be the certificate.
I have tried as below to the letter and still no joy.

Quote......The following error displays on a computer with the XP
operating system, while trying to connect to a wireless network internet.
Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network.
To specify the required certificate to logon the network, perform the
following steps.

Â*Â*Â* Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network connections.
Â*Â*Â* Right-click the wireless network that is not connected, and then
click Properties.
Â*Â*Â* Select the Wireless Networks tab, select the desired wireless
network from the Preferred networks: field, and then click Properties.
Â*Â*Â* Select the Authentication tab, and de-select the Enable IEEE 802.1x
authentication for this network option.
Â*Â*Â* Click OK to save the settings, and click OK again to close the
network connection window.

Restart the notebook and try connecting to the desired wireless network.

Certificates are (sometimes) used in conjunction with with wifi networks
using 802.1x "Enterprise" style authentication rather than the more
typical AES / TKIP used on WPA and WPA2 networks. This type of
authentication is used when you want multiple users to be able to join a
network but each with their own unique set of credentials (typically
username and password, but could be other things) rather than a shared
wifi passphrase. Handy for not having to change the office wifi password
every time a staff member leaves.

Basically massive overkill for most home networks. By default windows
will assume a simpler authentication scheme needing just a passphrase.
Hence why "forgetting" any stored info about a wireless connection can
help - it gets rid of any more advanced setup options that may have been
inadvertently selected.

If you have got certificates enabled, then there is usually a tick box
you can find to turn off the attempt to validate a certificate. You
could try the following steps:

To disable IEEE 802.1x authentication:

Click Start, then select Run.

In the Run dialog box type ncpa.cpl and then click OK.

Right-click the Wireless network connections icon, and then select
Properties.

Click the Wireless network tab.

Click the Properties button beside Remove.

Click the Authentication tab, and clear the Enable IEEE 802.1x
authentication for this network check box.

Click OK to update the settings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 21:34, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:
Does the netbook have an Ethernet port and if so, have you tried
connecting it to the router directly OOI? (sorry, not followed the
entire thread).

Yes I tried that and no joy.

Thenyou have one really ****ed` up configuration

Try turning the IP aqdress allocation to 'automatic' or 'dhcp'

If DHCP is not working then there are a number of possibilities. Its
possible if attempting certificate validation it won't get as far as
being able to even start DHCP, and sometimes that option can be enabled
at the wifi adaptor level rather than in the wifi configuration itself.
(I have posted a guide on disabling that elsewhere)

Its also possible that the TCP/IP stack needs a complete reset. That is
worth trying since it won't hurt, and can fix a number of issues. To do
that from a command prompt issue the commands:

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/06/2019 11:54, ss wrote:
My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting the
signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple of
months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next? I havent a clue on this stuff.

What OS is it running?

(Often getting it to "forget" the details of an existing connection and
then re-making it can help)

I have just done that with a 2nd hand Galaxy A3 which wouldn't log on to O2
wifi.

Apparently the trick is to target it to 1.0.0.0 which defaults to the
homepage of the router.

You then login with your correct details and it forgets the saved ones and
remembers yours.

Probably no use to the OP, who I hope has resolved his issue by now! But
may be of use to someone else.

James