Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default netbook connectivity problem.

My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting the
signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple of
months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next? I havent a clue on this stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting the
signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple of
months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next? I havent a clue on this stuff.

Is this via Wi-Fi or cable?

If Wi-Fi, are you sure it is trying to connecting to your own signal?
Round here, I get a choice of about a dozen.

Just that if you last used it elsewhere, it may have forgotten your own
Wi-Fi password, or whatever.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 11:54, ss wrote:
My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting the
signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple of
months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next?Â* I havent a clue on this stuff.

What OS is it running?

(Often getting it to "forget" the details of an existing connection and
then re-making it can help)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 14:14, John Rumm wrote:
What OS is it running?

(Often getting it to "forget" the details of an existing connection and
then re-making it can help)

Using wi-fi all located where I normally use it.
The connection is the correct one I have checked with the modem
The connection is saved as `connect automatically`
Against the connection for here it states `Limited or no
connectivity`with a 5 bar green connection signal.

Other message:

`This problem ocurred because the network did not assign a network
address to the computer`

Network Connection details:
Physical address 1C-4B-D6-xx-xx-xx
IP address 169.254.72xx
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
default gateway
DNS server
WINS server

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 14:26, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 14:14, John Rumm wrote:
What OS is it running?

(Often getting it to "forget" the details of an existing connection
and then re-making it can help)

Using wi-fi all located where I normally use it.
The connection is the correct one I have checked with the modem
The connection is saved as `connect automatically`
Against the connection for here it states `Limited or no
connectivity`with a 5 bar green connection signal.

Other message:

`This problem ocurred because the network did not assign a network
address to the computer`

Network Connection details:
Physical addressÂ*Â* 1C-4B-D6-xx-xx-xx
IP addressÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 169.254.72xx
Subnet maskÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 255.255.0.0
default gateway
DNS server
WINS server

What router? What OS on the netbook

What happens if you manually assign a IP and default gateway to the
netbook wifi adapor (using an address that is not inside the DHVP
address pool being allocated by the router)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

IP addressÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 169.254.72xx

you've connected to the actual wifi network, but your router hasn't
allocated you an IP address, so the computer has "invented" one which is
not much good, try rebooting your router.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 14:14, John Rumm wrote:
What OS is it running?

(Often getting it to "forget" the details of an existing connection and
then re-making it can help)

Using wi-fi all located where I normally use it.
The connection is the correct one I have checked with the modem
The connection is saved as `connect automatically`
Against the connection for here it states `Limited or no
connectivity`with a 5 bar green connection signal.

Other message:

`This problem ocurred because the network did not assign a network
address to the computer`

Network Connection details:
Physical address 1C-4B-D6-xx-xx-xx
IP address 169.254.72xx
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
default gateway
DNS server
WINS server

Well worth trying a router reboot.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 14:31, John Rumm wrote:
What router? What OSÂ* on the netbook

.............Router Virgin hub 3.0 Win xp

What happens if you manually assign a IP and default gateway to the
netbook wifi adapor (using an address that is not inside the DHVP
address pool being allocated by the router)

Dont even know where to start on the above.

Tried pair WPS ....no change
Tried reboot on router ......no change.

Message when trying to connect:
windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to Virgin media.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 16:32, ss wrote:
windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to Virgin media

Maybe..

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...o-the-network/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Message when trying to connect:
windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to Virgin media.

Home networks rarely require certificates to connect to wifi (it's more
for corporate networks) as suggested elsewhere tell windows to "forget"
the virgin wifi network, then re-connect to it, and hopefully it should
request a passphrase instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 16:41, Andy Burns wrote:
Message when trying to connect:
windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to Virgin media.

Home networks rarely require certificates to connect to wifi (it's more
for corporate networks) as suggested elsewhere tell windows to "forget"
the virgin wifi network, then re-connect to it, and hopefully it should
request a passphrase instead.

I will try that, so what one of these three do I use.

wi-fi network name
password
settings password
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

what one of these three do I use.

wi-fi network name
password
settings password

Assuming those are three pieces of info printed underneath the router?

You'd connect to the named wifi network, and give it the password when
prompted.

The settings password is presumably for getting into the admin section
on the router, if you've previously used that to change the wifi name
and/or password all bets are off if you didn't make a note of the new
values ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 16:41, Andy Burns wrote:
Message when trying to connect:
windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to Virgin media.

Home networks rarely require certificates to connect to wifi (it's more
for corporate networks) as suggested elsewhere tell windows to "forget"
the virgin wifi network, then re-connect to it, and hopefully it should
request a passphrase instead.

I will try that, so what one of these three do I use.

wi-fi network name
password
settings password

What OS are you using? On mine, if you hover the pointer over the one you
want to connect to, it tells you what encryption it is using.

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 16:32, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 14:31, John Rumm wrote:
What router? What OSÂ* on the netbook

............Router Virgin hub 3.0Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Win xp

What happens if you manually assign a IP and default gateway to the
netbook wifi adapor (using an address that is not inside the DHVP
address pool being allocated by the router)

Dont even know where to start on the above.

Control panel, then network connections
Right click on the wifi adaptor connection and choose "properties"
Double click the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry
On the general tab of the dialog use the radio buttons to select the
options to specify IP and DNS addresses.

Set the IP to a valid one for the network, and the DNS entry to match
the address of the router (probably 192.168.0.1 for a virgin home hub).

OK your way out of the dialogs.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 11:54, ss wrote:
My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting
the signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple
of months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next?Â* I havent a clue on this stuff.

What OS is it running?

(Often getting it to "forget" the details of an existing connection and
then re-making it can help)

What is the hardware?
What is it connecting to?

My car wont start. Please help

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 11:54, ss wrote:
My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting
the signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple
of months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next? I havent a clue on this stuff.

What OS is it running?

(Often getting it to "forget" the details of an existing connection and
then re-making it can help)

What is the hardware?
What is it connecting to?

My car wont start. Please help

Can we carry on with the fan wiring instead?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 17:33, John Rumm wrote:
What happens if you manually assign a IP and default gateway to the
netbook wifi adapor (using an address that is not inside the DHVP
address pool being allocated by the router)

Dont even know where to start on the above.

Control panel, then network connections
Right click on the wifi adaptor connection and choose "properties"
Double click the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry
On the general tab of the dialog use the radio buttons to select the
options to specify IP and DNS addresses.

Set the IP to a valid one for the network, and the DNS entry to match
the address of the router (probably 192.168.0.1 for a virgin home hub).

OK your way out of the dialogs.

I put in 192.168.0.1 and then www.VirginMedia for DNS entry...
Still trying to validate identity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

What is the hardware?
What is it connecting to?

Win xp
virgin wi-fi
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 18:49, ss wrote:
What is the hardware?
What is it connecting to?

Win xp
virgin wi-fi

What is 'virgin wifi'

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

and then www.VirginMedia for DNS entry...

I don't see how you could have dome that you can only put a numeric
address for DNS servers (or did you put that for DNS suffix? in which
case don't).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 18:48, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 17:33, John Rumm wrote:
What happens if you manually assign a IP and default gateway to the
netbook wifi adapor (using an address that is not inside the DHVP
address pool being allocated by the router)

Dont even know where to start on the above.

Control panel, then network connections
Right click on the wifi adaptor connection and choose "properties"
Double click the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry
On the general tab of the dialog use the radio buttons to select the
options to specify IP and DNS addresses.

Set the IP to a valid one for the network, and the DNS entry to match
the address of the router (probably 192.168.0.1 for a virgin home hub).

OK your way out of the dialogs.

I put in 192.168.0.1Â* and then www.VirginMedia for DNS entry...
Still trying to validate identity.

It is stating connected with no error pop up but still not connecting.
https://imgur.com/4EYOXYR

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 19:18, ss wrote:
It is stating connected with no error pop up but still not connecting.
https://imgur.com/4EYOXYR

And this:
https://imgur.com/KLfNSsX

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

It is stating connected with no error pop up but still not connecting.
https://imgur.com/4EYOXYR

What does the "support" tab show?
and the "details..." dialog from there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

And this:
https://imgur.com/KLfNSsX

Your connection to the wifi network is good, but probably your
addressing on that network is still not correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 19:18, ss wrote:
It is stating connected with no error pop up but still not connecting.
https://imgur.com/4EYOXYR

And this:
https://imgur.com/KLfNSsX

Are you sure the Virgin network isnt down in your area? Ours went belly up
today for a while.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also some routers can seem to lock things out for no apparent reason, I
assume you have tried a router reboot. It would be interesting to know if
smart phones or other wifi devices like Amazon smart speakers are connecting
OK.
Often this sort of thing can be due to interference on one way or the
others comms, a channel is being used by a neighbour etc, so the signal
quality may be so bad it cannot hear the return signals properly.
Does it help if its really close to the router?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
ss wrote:
My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting the
signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple of
months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next? I havent a clue on this stuff.

Is this via Wi-Fi or cable?

If Wi-Fi, are you sure it is trying to connecting to your own signal?
Round here, I get a choice of about a dozen.

Just that if you last used it elsewhere, it may have forgotten your own
Wi-Fi password, or whatever.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 18:49, ss wrote:
What is the hardware?
What is it connecting to?

Win xp
virgin wi-fi

What is 'virgin wifi'

You're not helping. Nobody has suggested buying something Apple as "it
just works" or reinstalling Windows. Help trolls are not what they used
to be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 19:41, Tim+ wrote:
ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 19:18, ss wrote:
It is stating connected with no error pop up but still not connecting.
https://imgur.com/4EYOXYR

And this:
https://imgur.com/KLfNSsX

Are you sure the Virgin network isnt down in your area? Ours went belly up
today for a while.

Tim

No my PC is connectiing ok
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 19:35, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

And this:
https://imgur.com/KLfNSsX

Your connection to the wifi network is good, but probably your
addressing on that network is still not correct.

I used the pair WPS button and now gone back to:
Local area connection unplugged. and
Validating identity

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 19:42, Terry Casey wrote:
At the risk of repeating myself, if it is a VM hub 3.0 it has
the PAIR WPS button on the front that I referred to in my
earlier post.

Press it and hold it in until you see a flashing indicator
just above it. Release the button and wait for it to connect
and set up the correct password in the netbook.

Done still no connection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

What is the hardware?
What is it connecting to?

Win xp
virgin wi-fi

What is 'virgin wifi'

The internet as far as I am concerned.
This end of computers I have not a clue I have never in 20 years had to
connect one to the internet hence my issues I dont even understand the
terminology, I am having to google it as I read these posts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 20:23, Brian Gaff wrote:
Also some routers can seem to lock things out for no apparent reason, I
assume you have tried a router reboot. It would be interesting to know if
smart phones or other wifi devices like Amazon smart speakers are connecting
OK.
Often this sort of thing can be due to interference on one way or the
others comms, a channel is being used by a neighbour etc, so the signal
quality may be so bad it cannot hear the return signals properly.
Does it help if its really close to the router?
Brian

It is about 4 feet from the router.
my wifes iphones and stuff connect ok.

I am sure it is a simple fix if I kew what I was doing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 11:54:57 +0100, ss wrote:

My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting the
signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple of
months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next? I havent a clue on this stuff.

Does the netbook have an Ethernet port and if so, have you tried
connecting it to the router directly OOI? (sorry, not followed the
entire thread).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:
Does the netbook have an Ethernet port and if so, have you tried
connecting it to the router directly OOI? (sorry, not followed the
entire thread).

Yes I tried that and no joy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 21:34, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:

I have just looked out my old laptop (winxp) at least 12 years old and
never used for at least 5 years, it connected up straight away on
wi-fi, so might try and follow the settings on that and attempt to
mirror them on the netbook.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Local area connection unplugged.

Sure that's not your ethernet interface? (which was showing as unplugged
in an earlier screenshot, the wifi interface was connected)