Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default netbook connectivity problem.

On 05/06/2019 22:16, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

Local area connection unplugged.

Sure that's not your ethernet interface? (which was showing as unplugged
in an earlier screenshot, the wifi interface was connected)

See my latest post as now comparing setting with an old laptop.
Not sure if it makes any difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 22:08, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:34, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:

I have just looked out my old laptop (winxp) at least 12 years old and
never used for at least 5 years,Â* it connected up straight away on
wi-fi, so might try and follow the settings on that and attempt to
mirror them on the netbook.

comparison between netbook and laptop settings.
https://imgur.com/5lo5wFF

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

comparison between netbook and laptop settings.
https://imgur.com/5lo5wFF

You haven't given the netbook a gateway, give it 192.168.0.1 without
that it can only see stuff on your own network, not the internet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

You haven't given the netbook a gateway, give it 192.168.0.1 without
that it can only see stuff on your own network, not the internet

Even worse you've given your netbook the IP address 192.168.0.1 which
will clash with the router!

give it e.g an IP address of 192.168.0.123 and fingers crossed it
doesn't clash with something else

really you ought to find an IP address that's not in the router's DHCP
range and not already assigned to something else, but life's too short ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 22:22:02 +0100, ss wrote:

On 05/06/2019 22:08, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:34, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:

I have just looked out my old laptop (winxp) at least 12 years old and
never used for at least 5 years,* it connected up straight away on
wi-fi, so might try and follow the settings on that and attempt to
mirror them on the netbook.

comparison between netbook and laptop settings.
https://imgur.com/5lo5wFF

You don't seem to have a default gateway setting on the netbook and
you would need one if you wanted to 'get out' of your local network
(and you do).

You could set the default gateway on the manual settings (to
192.168.0.1) before you do and see what happens though.

However, setting the interface to manual can mask other issues so it
might be worth putting it back to automatic (DHCP).

I think it may have been mentioned upthread that some old WiFi
interfaces may not work on the new Hubs (VM particularly). Do you have
a neighbour, family member or Internet cafe that would let you test
the Netbook on their WiFi?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 22:22, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 22:08, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:34, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:

I have just looked out my old laptop (winxp) at least 12 years old and
never used for at least 5 years,Â* it connected up straight away on
wi-fi, so might try and follow the settings on that and attempt to
mirror them on the netbook.

comparison between netbook and laptop settings.
https://imgur.com/5lo5wFF

192.168.0.1 is the address of the VM router and is manually assigned in
accordance with John Rumm's post at 1733. Try changing it back so the
address is assigned by DHCP and the default gateway matches your old
laptop.

If that still doesn't work & you haven't already done so check the
firewall settings are the dame

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

setting the interface to manual can mask other issues so it
might be worth putting it back to automatic (DHCP).

But when it was on automatic, it wasn't getting a dhcp addr, so it was
inventing an apipa addr which was no use, so I'd say get it working on a
static addr first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 22:28:05 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

You haven't given the netbook a gateway, give it 192.168.0.1 without
that it can only see stuff on your own network, not the internet

Even worse you've given your netbook the IP address 192.168.0.1 which
will clash with the router!

Well spotted.

give it e.g an IP address of 192.168.0.123 and fingers crossed it
doesn't clash with something else

How about .28, as long as the Laptop isn't on (as that works)? ;-)

really you ought to find an IP address that's not in the router's DHCP
range and not already assigned to something else, but life's too short ...

He could download and install a copy of Advanced IP Scanner on the
Laptop and (easily) see what else is out there?

https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 18:48, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 17:33, John Rumm wrote:
What happens if you manually assign a IP and default gateway to the
netbook wifi adapor (using an address that is not inside the DHVP
address pool being allocated by the router)

Dont even know where to start on the above.

Control panel, then network connections
Right click on the wifi adaptor connection and choose "properties"
Double click the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry
On the general tab of the dialog use the radio buttons to select the
options to specify IP and DNS addresses.

Set the IP to a valid one for the network, and the DNS entry to match
the address of the router (probably 192.168.0.1 for a virgin home hub).

OK your way out of the dialogs.

I put in 192.168.0.1Â* and then www.VirginMedia for DNS entry...
Still trying to validate identity.

try 192.168.0.50 for your IP address, and 192.168.0.1 for the DNS entry

Next check that the router itself actually has connectivity - browse to
192.168.0.1 in Firefox or Chrome. Login using the credentials on the
label on the router.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 22:39:40 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

setting the interface to manual can mask other issues so it
might be worth putting it back to automatic (DHCP).

But when it was on automatic, it wasn't getting a dhcp addr,

Yes, I saw that.

so it was
inventing an apipa addr which was no use, so I'd say get it working on a
static addr first.

Other than if you don't know what you are doing, setting things
manually can mask a whole load of stuff (like a disconnected cable /
WiFi)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

I need to call it quits for tonight as been at this since 4pm and my
head is buzzing.
I will try again tomorrow.
My apologies if it appears I am going around in circles but most of the
terminology and abbreviations are foreign to me and I am having to
google to try and stay on track.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 22:22, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 22:08, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:34, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:

I have just looked out my old laptop (winxp) at least 12 years old and
never used for at least 5 years,Â* it connected up straight away on
wi-fi, so might try and follow the settings on that and attempt to
mirror them on the netbook.

comparison between netbook and laptop settings.
https://imgur.com/5lo5wFF

Turn DHCP on so it gets the correct IP and gateway from the router.
The ones it has won't work as it has the same IP as the router.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I will try again tomorrow.

I'd say don't try going back to dhcp/automatic settings (yet!)

manually configure the netbook

ip address = 192.168.0.123
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = 192.168.0.1
primary dns = 8.8.8.8
alternate dns = 8.8.4.4

see if that works first ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Turn DHCP on so it gets the correct IP and gateway from the router.

DHCP was initially on, it didn't work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 23:04:36 +0100, ss wrote:

I need to call it quits for tonight as been at this since 4pm and my
head is buzzing.
I will try again tomorrow.
My apologies if it appears I am going around in circles but most of the
terminology and abbreviations are foreign to me and I am having to
google to try and stay on track.

It can be a nightmare, especially if it isn't 'your thing'. ;-)

I would try to get some baselines to work from.

1) With your netbook wifi networking properties set to 'Automatic',
can you successfully connect to any 'other' WiFi networks?

If 'yes' then it's likely an issue / compatibility issue between your
Netbook (WiFi card / driver / OS / firewall / stored settings) and
your VM Hub (/settings). There was a default setting in the VM hub (I
used mine in Modem mode with a different Router) that could impact
some older WiFi cards.

If no then it could be a fault somewhere within your OS / hardware.
Booting a live Linux USB image may help to isolate the hardware from
the installed OS. [1]

(Same applies to WiFi / Wired)

Be careful to not confuse local connectivity (where you first get
valid IP addresses for the Netbook and Default Gateway) via DHCP (or
put them in manually, if it's a DHCP issue) and then see if you can
connect to your router (192.168.0.1 in your browser) with failing to
connect to anything outside your local network.

If you can't seem to connect to your router from a browser, try
opening up a command prompt and typing:

ping 192.168.0.1 (return)

On this XP box (running on a Mac Mini) I get (my router is on .02)

C:\Documents and Settings\Macping 192.168.0.2

Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:

Is good, whereas this wouldn't be:

C:\Documents and Settings\Macping 192.168.0.3

Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:

Ping can show a connection when a browser fails for various reasons.

Cheers, T i m

[1] If you don't have a LiveUSB / DVD image I thoroughly recommend to
get / make one as they are ideal for Go / No-Go testing hardware and
in situations like these. If you have a USB stick (8-16G should be
fine) you can download something light, like the latest version of
Mint MATE (32 bit) and 'burn' it to your PEN stick. Stick it in the
netbook, reboot and get up the boot menu (sometimes F12 or similar)
and choose the USB stick. If all is well, you should get Linux running
from that and will often detect your WiFi / Ethernet automagically.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/w...mate-32bit.iso

https://linuxmint-installation-guide...test/burn.html

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
What is the hardware?
What is it connecting to?

Win xp
virgin wi-fi

I wonder whether this is an XP problem? I have vague recollection of an old
XP set-up getting cut off from the net by Microsoft due to lack of security
updates. Maybe firewall settings have decided its a security risk?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 23:24, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

I will try again tomorrow.

I'd say don't try going back to dhcp/automatic settings (yet!)

manually configure the netbook

ip address = 192.168.0.123
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = 192.168.0.1
primary dns = 8.8.8.8
alternate dns = 8.8.4.4

see if that works first ...

I tried the above and still getting the validation message:

https://imgur.com/O0TZs5G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 23:37, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Turn DHCP on so it gets the correct IP and gateway from the router.

DHCP was initially on, it didn't work.

Is the date correct on the netbook ?
As others have said the wifi is working nicely its the network element
afterwards which isnt .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:

Is the date correct on the netbook ?

It's not as though DHCP use Kerberos ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I tried the above and still getting the validation message:

https://imgur.com/O0TZs5G

Still sounds like it's trying to use a certificate to authenticate, make
sure you untick 802.1x, as per

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/290/?utm_medium=select-local

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/06/2019 10:06, Robert wrote:
Is the date correct on the netbook ?

yes the date is correct.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/06/2019 23:46, T i m wrote:
[1] If you don't have a LiveUSB / DVD image I thoroughly recommend to
get / make one as they are ideal for Go / No-Go testing hardware and
in situations like these. If you have a USB stick (8-16G should be
fine) you can download something light, like the latest version of
Mint MATE (32 bit) and 'burn' it to your PEN stick. Stick it in the
netbook, reboot and get up the boot menu (sometimes F12 or similar)
and choose the USB stick. If all is well, you should get Linux running
from that and will often detect your WiFi / Ethernet automagically

I tried a couple of years back getting involved with Linux and best I
dont describe the mess I got into, best I leave that well alone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:34:21 +0100, ss wrote:

On 05/06/2019 23:46, T i m wrote:
[1] If you don't have a LiveUSB / DVD image I thoroughly recommend to
get / make one as they are ideal for Go / No-Go testing hardware and
in situations like these. If you have a USB stick (8-16G should be
fine) you can download something light, like the latest version of
Mint MATE (32 bit) and 'burn' it to your PEN stick. Stick it in the
netbook, reboot and get up the boot menu (sometimes F12 or similar)
and choose the USB stick. If all is well, you should get Linux running
from that and will often detect your WiFi / Ethernet automagically

I tried a couple of years back getting involved with Linux and best I
dont describe the mess I got into, best I leave that well alone.

You aren't 'getting involved' with Linux as such, just giving yourself
an alternative OS / test OS that will run from a USB stick that you
can test things with?

Once you have created the USB stick, you *just* boot from it and you
should then get a std desktop OS that you can see if it will do the
things you currently can't. shrug

For your needs, it's no more 'Linux' than Android is on your phone,
it's just a means to an end. ;-)

What I've suggested is *exactly* what I would do if I were in your
position at this point. Seems a big waste of time if you keep trying
stuff that will never work because the hardware isn't compatible or is
faulty (for example)?

What about the idea if trying the netbook on other WiFi networks?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Robert wrote:

Is the date correct on the netbook ?

It's not as though DHCP use Kerberos ...

:-)

Stick with it Andy, I am appreciating your nouse (& patience!)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/06/2019 10:26, ss wrote:
On 06/06/2019 10:06, Robert wrote:
Is the date correct on the netbook ?

yes the date is correct.

The issue appears to be the certificate.
I have tried as below to the letter and still no joy.

Quote......The following error displays on a computer with the XP
operating system, while trying to connect to a wireless network internet.
Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network.
To specify the required certificate to logon the network, perform the
following steps.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network connections.
Right-click the wireless network that is not connected, and then
click Properties.
Select the Wireless Networks tab, select the desired wireless
network from the Preferred networks: field, and then click Properties.
Select the Authentication tab, and de-select the Enable IEEE 802.1x
authentication for this network option.
Click OK to save the settings, and click OK again to close the
network connection window.

Restart the notebook and try connecting to the desired wireless network.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:12:59 +0100, ss wrote:

On 06/06/2019 10:26, ss wrote:
On 06/06/2019 10:06, Robert wrote:
Is the date correct on the netbook ?

yes the date is correct.

The issue appears to be the certificate.
I have tried as below to the letter and still no joy.

[snip]

Don't forget to reboot after every change you make. I would simplify
by using a cable to connect to the router to get the network
settings before trying the wifi. This page is pretty good on wifi
troubleshooting:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...tion-problems/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss Wrote in message:
On 06/06/2019 10:26, ss wrote:
[...]

Like Andy told you then?
Does it work now?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 21:34, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:
Does the netbook have an Ethernet port and if so, have you tried
connecting it to the router directly OOI? (sorry, not followed the
entire thread).

Yes I tried that and no joy.

Thenyou have one really ****ed` up configuration

Try turning the IP aqdress allocation to 'automatic' or 'dhcp'

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 20:48, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 20:23, Brian Gaff wrote:
Also some routers can seem to lock things out for no apparent reason, I
assume you have tried a router reboot. It would be interesting to know if
smart phones or other wifi devices like Amazon smart speakers are
connecting
OK.
Â* Often this sort of thing can be due to interference on one way or the
others comms, a channel is being used by a neighbour etc, so the signal
quality may be so bad it cannot hear the return signals properly.
Â* Does it help if its really close to the router?
Â* Brian

It is about 4 feet from the router.
my wifes iphones and stuff connect ok.

I am sure it is a simple fix if I kew what I was doing.

It sounds lioke you atre not using DHCP to automatically allocate IP
address, defdault gateway and DNS server.

Somewhee in network settings there should be a
page to turn on that.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 22:24, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

comparison between netbook and laptop settings.
https://imgur.com/5lo5wFF

You haven't given the netbook a gateway, give it 192.168.0.1 without
that it can only see stuff on your own network, not the internet

DO NOT CONFUSE MATTERS FURTHER

This should be done automatically,

He has to turn on the autmotatics ****.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2019 22:39, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

setting the interface to manual can mask other issues so it
might be worth putting it back to automatic (DHCP).

But when it was on automatic, it wasn't getting a dhcp addr,

Then find out why

Dont make te network even more messy and complicated.

so it was
inventing an apipa addr which was no use, so I'd say get it working on a
static addr first.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I will try again tomorrow.

I'd say don't try going back to dhcp/automatic settings (yet!)

manually configure the netbook

ip address = 192.168.0.123
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = 192.168.0.1
primary dns = 8.8.8.8
alternate dns = 8.8.4.4

see if that works first ...

I tried the above and still getting the validation message:

https://imgur.com/O0TZs5G

use automatic settings. If they doint work, work out why.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

You haven't given the netbook a gateway, give it 192.168.0.1 without
that it can only see stuff on your own network, not the internet

DO NOT CONFUSE MATTERS FURTHER
This should be done automatically,
He has to turn on the autmotatics ****.

DHCP is great when it works, but in this case it *was* enabled and it
didn't work, the machine got an APIPA address, so I was trying a
temporary static configuration to get the netbook working, not
suggesting leaving it like that permanently ...

So if/when he turns back on automatic settings and it still doesn't work
*THEN* what are you going to suggest?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 05/06/2019 21:34, ss wrote:
On 05/06/2019 21:29, T i m wrote:
Does the netbook have an Ethernet port and if so, have you tried
connecting it to the router directly OOI? (sorry, not followed the
entire thread).

Yes I tried that and no joy.

Thenyou have one really ****ed` up configuration

Try turning the IP aqdress allocation to 'automatic' or 'dhcp'

Do read the thread before jumping in & "helping"...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

when it was on automatic, it wasn't getting a dhcp addr,

Then find out why

The chap admits he doesn't know much about networking, if I was there
I'd break out wireshark or do as Tim suggests and boot it from a Linux
USB stick, or logon to the virgin hub and see what it thinks is going
on, but there's only so much you can do remotely ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

use automatic settings. If they doint work, work out why.

Over to you then ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

You haven't given the netbook a gateway, give it 192.168.0.1 without
that it can only see stuff on your own network, not the internet

DO NOT CONFUSE MATTERS FURTHER
This should be done automatically,
He has to turn on the autmotatics ****.

DHCP is great when it works, but in this case it *was* enabled and it
didn't work, the machine got an APIPA address, so I was trying a
temporary static configuration to get the netbook working, not
suggesting leaving it like that permanently ...

So if/when he turns back on automatic settings and it still doesn't work
*THEN* what are you going to suggest?

As is usual the OP doesnt really know what he is doing and is confused.
Under these circs people fiddle blindly and the configuration ends up a
total mess.

Fisrtly we need to establish whether with DHCP set to automatic, it
works over the Ethernet.

He claims it *didn't* as far as I can recall.

That is pretty hard to achieve. I wouldnt even know how to make that
happen EXCEPT with a non automatic IP address and a manually
*misconfigured* interface.

The first thimg is to get it working on a cat 5 cable. On automatic
settings.

It it doesnt then see whats going on in the router

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

when it was on automatic, it wasn't getting a dhcp addr,

Then find out why

The chap admits he doesn't know much about networking, if I was there
I'd break out wireshark or do as Tim suggests and boot it from a Linux
USB stick, or logon to the virgin hub and see what it thinks is going
on, but there's only so much you can do remotely ...

He can look at his router diagnostics.

Does it appear in his DHCP table?

On what addtess does it appear?

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

use automatic settings. If they doint work, work out why.

Over to you then ...

Mmm the dream helpline combo of Turnip & D i m ...

I reckon the OP's got it working & is too much of a tw*t to say so
& also a "thanks"

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/06/2019 18:09, Jim K.. wrote:
Thenyou have one really ****ed` up configuration

Try turning the IP aqdress allocation to 'automatic' or 'dhcp'

UPDATE:

Unfortunately I am no further forward, I do however thank all for their
efforts and time in trying to help. I was hoping to get it working by
Fri as I use it on hols but will just borrow a small laptop for that.

I think my best plan is to leave alone until I find someone local who
can have a `hands on` look as I am sure it is a simple fix (for some)

My apptitude is for mechanical things and rarely do I fail to fix them,
when it goes electronic it mystifies me as I cant work out any logic to
the problem.